Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In search of an audio app

Hey folks, anybody out there know of a good freebie that plays a variety of audio files and utilizes the DirectShow API ?

I know about Windows Media Player already, thanks.
    I was hoping for something a bit easier on resources.

I'd be more than happy to hear any input you might have, Thanks!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

WinAMP?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Unfortunately no it uses DirectSound, the sound quality I get from WinAmp is OK the sound I get from Magix Player Jukebox (the quality is directly related to the use of the DirectShow API) is far superior. It has a much broader range and depth to the sound.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, I guess what I'm looking for is an easy to use player like WinAmp that has the sound quality of a player that utilizes DirectShow.

There used to be a rather nice application XingMP3 Player but unfortunately it was bought-out by Real. It is now a part of the pay-for RealPlayer (or whatever they call it these days).

Nothing wrong with WinAmp, I use it a lot cause it's handy. But if you ever get your hands on a player that uses DirectShow you can definitely hear the difference.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Mr.C, winamp is pretty good, it could be your Jukebox's enchancements or something. another thing that effects quality are your speakers and your sound card. might be your ears too:)

Winamp is pretty good, no doubt about it.
    But with an app that utilizes the Directshow API it sounds even better.
    As in - turn off equalizers and preamps, play the same audio file in winamp then in magix player jukebox --- no contest, the Directshow API rocks.

I was just wondering if there are any other proggies out there that utilize the Directshow.
    A lot of DVD sound is done through directshow isn't it:?:

yeah, but my point is, is that directshow is a filter and it changes the quality of the music being played. sorta like dfx for winamp, it just uses a different algorithm to decode it, mp3s right? or cd?

dvd's use dolby digital

I wonder which future version of DirectX will eliminate the DirectSound API altogether:?:
    No need to keep around dead-weight you know, what with DirectShow being so much better and ............... oh, wait -- we're talking about MicroSoft here:laugh:

Beefy Guest

that's not exactly right aznx... DirectShow / DirectSound aren't filters as such. They are known as API (Application Programming Interface) and are used to process the sound to it's output. You might notice with some software / games, etc.. that you have multiple options for your sound output.

This is much more noticable in the playback of MIDI files, as different API have a different way of playing each individual instrument, hence you can get a completely different sound from one API to the other.

DVD playback on the PC can be done via the DirectShow API as Mr C said (it's usually a choice in the sound options of most DVD software). Dolby Digital and all the other sound formats aren't the same thing. It's kinda hard to explain...

That's the little I know.. I could be wrong...

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    I wonder which future version of DirectX will eliminate the DirectSound API altogether:?:
    No need to keep around dead-weight you know, what with DirectShow being so much better and ............... oh, wait -- we're talking about MicroSoft here:laugh:
    I'm one for backwards compatibility anyday.. :) Microsoft is backwards, so I have to be compatible.. :laugh:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information