Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving files and os to new hard drive

Check to make sure that your jumpers are set right. if you have a drive set as master, make sure it's on the end of the IDE cable. If you have only one drive, there should be a single operation jumper setting. however if you have 2 drives, set 1 as master, the other as slave. Master goes on the end of the IDE and the slave goes to the middle. (Master=primary. Slave=Secondary)

It also sounds like you may need to start from scratch.
    get your bootdisk made, fdisk, delete any partitions on your drive, then create partitions however you see fit. creating 2 partitions seems to be the way to do it. create one allocating however much space is needed to install win98, then allocate the rest for storage and program installation. format and install windows on the partition you allocated for win installation. 2 hd's are also a good way to keep things backed up w/out loosing alot of data. I use 3 myself. 1 for windows and programs (C:). D: is used for my ftp, webserver and basic storage. E: is used for downloading then organizing it to D:.

I don't know what you did wrong clicking on the www.bootdisk.com link, it works fine for me. I checked out http://dos.li5.org/ and will do just as fine. all you need is an exe to make a bootdisk, activate the exe and it's self explanitory from there.
    <u>Nothin' to it but to do it</u>AMD XP 2000
    512 MB DDR266
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    Asus A7N8x-x Mobo
    Windows XP Professional

Well, I had to reformat my main hd because I couldn't make a boot disk. Everything went go with that, I made the boot disk and I tried to fdisk my new hd. That didn't go as well. I deleted my logical dos partion. I went to the microsoft site and printed 15 pages for how to use fdisk. I got into it and I screwed up somewhere. After all was done my system would not boot. disk error hit ctrl+alt+delete was the message. So, I had to tear it apart again and disconnected the Maxtor drive. All's good now. Just tonight I stopped by my friendly neighborhood comp service department (I've been there before) and I'm going to have him set the new hd up for me. I thought I could handle it, but I guess it swarmed on me. BIGTIME. hahah. What's up with microsoft. Making an os that doesn't recognize what size of hd you install? I downloaded the patch for my system so that it would see what size it was, but I didn't get that far lol. Thanks for all the imput guys. If anyone has anymore to say about the matter get back to me.
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Extreme Spirit NB heatsink
    Corsair XMS2 PC2 8500 (2gigs)/with fans
    Ocz Gamestream 700 watt psu
    Geforce 7900gs oc Video card
    Half a tarabyte hard drive space
    Thermaltake Saprano case

ever think about upgrading to windows XP? It's nothing like the previous versions of windows. I've been running XP for about 3 months now and no crashes or instabilities what so ever. i leave my pc on for days w/out rebooting and that doesn't effect the performance at all. i highly recomend an upgrade of your OS.:thumb:
    <u>Nothin' to it but to do it</u>AMD XP 2000
    512 MB DDR266
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    Asus A7N8x-x Mobo
    Windows XP Professional

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wily5150
    What's up with microsoft. Making an os that doesn't recognize what size of hd you install
    It's simply a case of bad foresight. It's happened a few times. Like Bill Gates thinking that people wouldn't need more that 640K of RAM..... The whole Y2K issue... and so on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information