Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving files and os to new hard drive

Hey,
    I'm getting a new hd on wednesday, and I'm wanting to move all files and os to new hd. I'm getting a Maxtor 80 gig. I've heard that Maxtor comes with a program called MaxBlast. Can this be used to move everything? If not what can I do, or what program can I use to do this? If anyone has any imput on this matter please get back to me. Thanks.:smokin:
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Extreme Spirit NB heatsink
    Corsair XMS2 PC2 8500 (2gigs)/with fans
    Ocz Gamestream 700 watt psu
    Geforce 7900gs oc Video card
    Half a tarabyte hard drive space
    Thermaltake Saprano case

Yes it seems you can according to Mator's interactive tutorial which can be found here http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/m...hp?p_faqid=984 :smokin:

Ok, I checked out the maxblast program, but I have another question, how many partions do I need? I heard that one will do. If I do need more, what size do I make them? Reguardless, I need a boot floppy, Right? Thanks for the reply wiggo.
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Saprano case

One will do but I partition mine so that the operating system sits in a partition by itself and all other programs on the other/s. This way should ya hose the os you just format and reinstall without loosing what data you have on other partitions. :smokin:

I never thought about doing it that way, thanks wiggo. However 1 partition is all you need. You can also make a bootable cd vs a floppy. You can get all you need here, www.bootdisk.com
    <u>Nothin' to it but to do it</u>AMD XP 2000
    512 MB DDR266
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    Asus A7N8x-x Mobo
    Windows XP Professional

I just clicked on the link that you sent, and it sent me to an underwear website hahah. I thought it was a mistake, but I then typed out www.bootdisk.com, and it put me right back there. Get back to me if I screwed up. I'm going to use fdisk for my patitioning. The tech at Maxtor said that Maxblast is garbage and that he recomended fdisk. Thanks for suport guys.
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Saprano case

The link worked properly for me. Took me to the Bootdisk website.

I also agree with Wiggo. I have been running two partitions for a number of years, especially during the days of Win9x where I was reformatting about every 3-4 months. I just copy over my emails, address book, My Documents folder, Favorites from IE and any important data I want to keep. Then I can safely reformat/reinstall Windows and still have all of my important data on hand. It's a great system for me at least. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Separate partition for the OS has saved me a lot of trouble. Before that I was copying stuff from one computer to the other when I had to reformat. That was a royal pain. That separate partition for the OS was something that I picked up here at TT. Don't remember who posted to one that I found, but it was a definite work saver!

JM :afro:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Well, I played hell installing my new hd. I had set the jumper settings to master (which was what I heard to do) Then my comp didn't see it. So I had to take it back apart and set it to slave, then it recognized it. Now I have two drive letters assigned to it. No sure what to do about that. Then windows 98se recognized it as a 2 gig hd, so I called Maxtor and asked for help, so he pointed me in the direction of the microsoft website where I had to download a patch for it to recognize the real size of it. That wasn't a problem, the problem now is that I need to make a boot disk, sounds easy huh, well not for me. When I try to make one it says to insert the windows 98 cd, which I do, but my comp it says that it can't find the file. Any file for that matter. I need help. Please.:mad:
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Saprano case

Then just go here http://dos.li5.org/ and at the bottom of the page download the 98 boot disk file then unpack it to a floppy. :smokin:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information