Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Win98 run continuously without crashing?!

I have a box set up on my LAN to stream audio from the line in on the soundcard using Winamp and Shoutcast server, it runs Win98 Second Edition with all Windows Update patches applied and that's all it does, it has currently been online for 3 months and 4 days with no sign of it crashing.
    What I would advise is that you set the server up to stream constantly rather than scheduling every 24 hours as you were planning. One thing Win98 doesn't like doing is opening and closing programs many times.
    with regard to your cheap hardware well, you take your life in your own hands there. I have found that if you buy a really good motherboard, Asus, Abit, Epox or another trusted make, you can get away with having cheap hardware and retain system stability. But If you're running a bargain basement machine, expect random crashes.

To the people who say win98 crashes after 47 days, that was a bug that was fixed with a critical update years ago.
    -= W3rd =-

Yes it's the closin' of apps that's the biggest drawback with memory management with all Win9x os's, not so much the opening, it just doesn't want to let go of everything. :smokin:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information