Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Win98 run continuously without crashing?!

May sound like a dummy question, but i have a real need to have an older computer (Celeron 333) using win98 for webcasting from a remote location which i can;t easily access if it crashes. i have configured the apps to autorun every 24 hrs. the question is, does win98 screw up after a few days of running without sleep? I've never needed to put this to the test before so i have no idea.

the system is very basic: Celeron333, 128meg ****e ram, generic sound / vid, 4gig hdd, etc.
    ta!
    Flying low w/ Celeron 900Mhz * Asus TUSL2-C mobo (I815E-P) * 256mg 133 SDram * GF2 mx400 * 40gig + 80gig Seagate 7200x hdds * SB Live *CDRW * 300 watt PSU * Win98SE * DirectX 8.1 * Detonators 29.41 * Sony DV / MD capturing

Beefy Guest

I don't have a link or anything, but somewhere on the Microsoft site they actually say that Windows 98 cannot run for more than 47 days, or something like that..

Realistically, depending on what you've got running, your computer would be lucky to make a two weeks straight. At most.

Yeah, I suspect i would be lucky to last a few days :/

i would only be running a small audio visual stream delivered via usb port for approx 4 hrs / day, connected to isdn connection. Also would need some scheduling software to automate the process, otherwise thats it. But I have noticed my main machine gets sluggish even overnites, but thats usually after rendering a big project for 7-8 hrs.

ah well, time will tell :/
    Flying low w/ Celeron 900Mhz * Asus TUSL2-C mobo (I815E-P) * 256mg 133 SDram * GF2 mx400 * 40gig + 80gig Seagate 7200x hdds * SB Live *CDRW * 300 watt PSU * Win98SE * DirectX 8.1 * Detonators 29.41 * Sony DV / MD capturing

...Simply put, no... Unless you never install anything on it. Even then there are no guarantee's.

I've got to restart my 98 home server every couple of days just to reclaim resources which 98 isn't real good at reclaiming so you'd best be served by a M$ NT or even better a Linux os. :smokin:

I think Beefy's right there, there is a fault in 95/98 that will stop the system from operating at around 49 days. There is an exact amount, I just can't remember what it is.
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

That's only if the thing is just sittin' doin' nothing as bein' in use with progs runnin' will shorten that dramatically. :smokin:

Well, I've set my pc up & running a continual 24hr x7 webcast, so from the above advice, i'll try get the thing reset every 2 weeks or so. i'll let u know how it holds up.

btw, anyone know any *free* automation software?

i've got a great shareware utility that allows macro recording mouse & keystrokes, but always on the lookout for nag-free-ware.

ta! (sorry bout delayed reply)

Don't know how I missed this one...

If I recall, the flaw that the others were talking about was fixed with one of the patches available from the Windows Update site. I have machines at work that run Win98SE continuously for months without a reboot. Of course, these machines aren't servers, so I can't say what sort of luck you'll have on this type a system, but the OS is capable of running continuously for long periods of time.

I'll just be glad when we can finally get rid of our older Win95 machines. :scream:
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

A search with google will help you find a simple little program that will restart a computer however frequently you wish. You then just need to set the computer up so that the programs you need to run, begin at startup. Very simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information