Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stop Focus stealing websites

Interesting, I never needed a search engine to tell me if a site was any good though. Kinda' like a movie review......I'd rather decide those things for myself.

Guess that makes me kinda' old-fashioned, huh:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

That makes two of us then. ;)

Ahh Mr. C you missed my point.

Given that the internet is so vast, it is extremely valulable to have a tool that proves the relative credability of a site. Google calls their system 'PageRank' Here is a very brief description on how Pagerank works, and why it is NEVER wrong.

Google has downloaded every web page. Literally. Their thousands of computers then tally how many times EVERY page has been linked TO. These numbers go into a forumula, and so it finds sites like NASA (which have been linked to by MILLIONS of pages) and determines that NASA is most likely a renound and trusted souce of information. (Moreso than a page linked by 1,000 sites) Now, pages that NASA links to instantly see a boost, because clearly Nasa would not be linking to a page containing pure garbage infomation. These two aspects go into the formula to rank the page on a scale from 1 - 10.

That is a very brief, but you can read more here: http://www.google.com/technology/

NOW! Here is why this rank is so extremely helpful to anyone using the internet:

If I am looking for information, I don't have time to read 200 pages and then decide for myself what is true. ESPECIALLY if I know little on the Subject matter! So while your most recent comment Mr. C sounds nice and good and wise, clearly there are some Logistics you have not taken into consideration.

======

On a different forum I frequent, someone posted a 'news link' to a site that made some very outrageous claims about a large religion, and how they were following some rediculous prophecy, and most of the forum started discussing about how they thought the religion should be stopped, (completely believing this site that appeared to be similar to www.cnn.com)

BUT! A quick look at the page rank, and the imposter was revealed as a 1/10, and therefore a page that has no credibility in discussing the actions of the religion it claimed to represent, and therefore a Hoax.

==============

Now I am not claiming that I judge every site by its pagerank, I merely use it to make sure that various sites I am at ARE what they CLAIM to be.

If someone directed me to a e-Tailer, and their page rank was very low, That is a perfect indicator that the site has not, and IS not widely used.

=========

And no, it is not like a movie review at all.

this has been annoying me for weeks - thanks for the tip

That's a lot of typing zeradul, just to say I'm old-fashioned;)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I type fast, its no prob. I wasn't trying to sound harsh btw. :smokin:

Didn't sound harsh to me:)
    It sounds like you do make good use of the toolbar, that's what it's for, and good on you.
    I'm just gonna' pass on that one, thanks for the review though, something to think about for sure:thumb:

As I said, I'm a bit old' fashioned. When I'm surfing I just need the info contained on the page requested, I'll take it from there -- or not, as the case may be.
    No toolbars, meters, banners or bullsh** -- just the page, thank you:thumb:
    But if ever I should get more bandwidth and system resources, I might be willing to give a lot of "extra goodies" a whirl. If ever:(

I highly doub the google toolbar will consume even the tinyest fraction of your bandwidth... if that is what you are wondering about. It is completely passive, and is completely customizable with IE as far as toolbar placement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information