Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: office xp sp1 crashes

ah well I am on a network (home) but I run everything locally. Just the fact that I know there are problems that I don't even know about bother me. WHich is why I download EVERY windows update possible even if I'm not gonna use it.

Sounds like me
    I have friend that think the oppisite and don't install patches, new drivers, bios flashs, etc, but if you ask me they release them for a reason.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

exactly I mean they are fixes right? Now bios updates on the other hand is a different story. I'm paronoid that it'll #&%$ up and trash my whole board. What are the chances of that?

are you just downloading via the office update site or do you actually have an administrative install of SP1? its a 17-18 Meg file. download that and run it. get CD for when it asks you for the CD. and all should be good..

Well I did download the administrative update file thinking it would work but no luck here. I then proceeded to download the regular sp1 file and it gave the error message no matther where I downloaded it from.

i had this problem with one XP pro box @ work. we ended up booting to safe mode logging in with the machine's administrator account then installing the sp1 admin patch from safe mode..

ah safemode I'll try that. Haven't been in there for a while.

Is there any workaround in XP for when the retry button does nothing and cancel backs you out of the install? Have you experienced this with other software installs? Does the safe mode boot work for them as well?

well I haven't gotten many error messages like this for any install. When I do its usually file in use know what I mean? However I haven't gotten around to safe mode cause I've been busy rewireing my house for ethernet. Stupid PNA is finally gone. :D

There is a known problem, if you have used the infamous XP Pro version available on the net, it is actually a pre-release version, and the SP will fail to install when it reads one of the files having a version number ending in .0, instead of the .1 of the official release

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information