Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free Firewall Software

No offence dudes but i didn't really like Zone Alarm, dunno why. I use "Black Ice Defender" : peace2:
    Picked Off By žecluded(+)žniper

No offense taken.
    And I intend no offense either, but Black Ice is a sad excuse for a firewall - and unless they changed it quite a bit, it's no firewall at all.

But hey! If your happy with it, I'm happy for you:)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    No offense taken.
    And I intend no offense either, but Black Ice is a sad excuse for a firewall - and unless they changed it quite a bit, it's no firewall at all.

But hey! If your happy with it, I'm happy for you:)
    My thoughts exactly...

Far be it from me to dictate.
    I would never tell you what OS, CPU or video card you have to have, and I will only make reccomendations as to software.

But secluded_sniper you have left yourself rather open with your choice of security software.
    Perhaps you could try Tiny Firewall? Or maybe give ZoneAlarm another look if there is a newer version since your last testing.

Black Ice isn't thought well of for good reasons. If you look around in the forum the question of software firewalls has come up before - and in not 1 single instance did anyone reccomend Black Ice Defender.

I'd hate to see you get let down dood, someday that may be the result if you rely on the capabilities of that program alone.

I don't particularly care to use a software firewall, burns up precious resources. The fact is though, ZoneAlarm has saved my bacon in one instance and proved to me it was just good practice to use it.
    I don't have to love the interface, or the few CPU cycles it occupies, but I do appreciate the protection it provides - 1st rate all the way.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist! One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
    All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

So what are you using and a link to that particular test would be nice to. :?:

Beefy Guest

Shields Up is a good test and ZA can pass that easily. :)

Those network bondage articles are well worth reading as they contain some excellent tips and how-to's.

The article on rebinding 9x is a must see for those using those OS's still:thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    No offense taken.

they mustve changed it since you used it because it is awesome :) I love the fact it can trace back to the origionating PC too :)

plus its REAL REAL REAL easy to report em :) which I do on occassion......
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    ABit KR7A-133RAID
    AMD AXP2700+@2188MHz
    Crucial PC3200 @ 266MHz
    ChainTech GFX 5600U @ 234/798
    Seagate Baraccuda IV 80.0GB
    WinXP Pro
    ViewSonic G70fmb 17" 0.21mm/0.25mm
    Altec Lansing 221 2.1 speakers
    SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
    Plextor PX-716A DVD+-RW DL
    Plextor PX-708A DVD+-RW