Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adcaster Extreme Pop Ups?

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    sorry for being so dumb but what do we mean by enjoying messenger out here? are we pointing towards MSN or windows messenger? :?:
    sorry for me being so ignorant of most of the command prompt programs...:(
    MSN messenger is just an updated version of windows messenger. They're both the same thing :thumb: .

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Toastie
    MSN messenger is just an updated version of windows messenger. They're both the same thing :thumb: .
    The thing that I wanted to ask was that when we stop the service "Messenger" are we saying that windows messenger won't work or is there some other inbulit messenger that might not work? Thats the clarification I was hoping to get...:o
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    The thing that I wanted to ask was that when we stop the service "Messenger" are we saying that windows messenger won't work or is there some other inbulit messenger that might not work? Thats the clarification I was hoping to get...:o
    You're not the first to be confused about this plethora of messengers. The one that most people know is the chat program MSN Messenger, which is up to ver. 5 but this isn't the problem.

It's the messenger service to let admins send messages through a network in a work environment. If you're not in that environment, You really don't need it. Stop it from the services in Administrative tools.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

augie

It surely does augie...:D
    Thanx buddy...:cheers:
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Sunyb36 is offline Junior Member

I am running Windows XP and have also experienced a bombardment of Messenger Popups, through AdCaster Extreme. I read on this site that I could shut down messenger through my control panel. I want to do that, but I have one concern. I also read that shutting down messenger would interfere with needed messages, such as print spooling, virus alert, and event logging. I don't fully understand how these work, so I do not know exactly what problems I will have. It scares me to think that my Norton AntiVrus and Symantec Internet Security software, would no longer be able to alert me to a virus on my computer. Does the Norton software rely on the messenger feature? Would shutting off messenger, stop my virus alerts? Anyone who is certain of the answer, please reply. This AdCaster thing is driving me nuts. Someone also made mention of disabling the net send feature. How is this different from the messenger feature, and how would I do that? Thanks in advance, to anyone who can help.

You will still get your alerts. They don't depend on Messanger.

Sunyb36 is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I just shut off messenger. This will be terrific, if it really blocks those annoying messages.

Thanks Again!!!

:hammer:

this messenger thing is still a mystery for me. i don't understand that how does this software installation differ from disabling the messenger service :?:
    what would i lose if i disable messenger service rather than installing this thing on my machine :confused:
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Alright boys and girls. NOW LISTEN UP. sorry. Adcaster was downloaded by you for some "free" proggy you fancied.This is an advertisimng machine designed to give you ads besed on you surfing habits. It is spyware. Get rid of it by using spybot r&d. Unless you want them:flames:

augie

By the way , if any one gets an offer of a "free"proggy just say no:p WWW.spybot.com

asklepios, messenger will give you an odd popup like for a diploma is a popular one, This adcaster just listen to the name and you should know twhat it is. I"ll be back later and give you guys some links to make sure you keep your machine clean from this crap.

augie

Or like Hagar said "Unless you want to stay"

BTW reread my post above. Between these two posts you should understand, especially as to what querry I was posting about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information