Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adcaster Extreme Pop Ups?

Good Afternoon, Just found these forums.

Just wondering If anybody has come across the Adcaster Extreme pop ups. I've got a pop up stopper to prevent a second window opening up in I.E. But these are a new breed of pop ups, that come about mostly when using win mx. They're very annoying & I want rid of the buggers If possible?

M.

Try POW! then. ;)

Works for me. :devil win

Thanks dude, I'll give It a bash. :thumb:

OK, now you have my curiosity running full speed ahead.
    I am running WinMX without the assistance of a pop-up blocker and I get exactly 0 (zero) ads of any shape or kind whatsoever.
    I am running version 3.31.
    Highly suspicious, suspecting perhaps the actual cause of your woes might be something other than WinMX. It has long been within the capability of WinMX to deliver advertiser content, but to my knowledge, this has never been implemented.

Are you running any programs in conjunction with WiinMX, oh say, LeachHammer perhaps?
    Or another p2p app at the same time?

This just isn't adding up!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

It got me stumped too. The reason I thought It may be win mx is because thats the only time the pop ups appear. They don't pop up when I've got my browser open. So I went to the web address on the pop up out of curiosity. I think It was www.messengerblocker.com . On the website they say that there Is a flaw in microsofts win 2000/XP technologies that allow these pop ups :confused: . Only other programs I have running are msn and norton anti virus.

A-HA!!!!
    You are the victim of Messenger spam.
    This utilizes "net send" which MicroSoft built in to the program for system administrators to broadcast alerts over a network.
    Unfortunately, some folks found another use for it.

The Good News!
    It's not WinMX.
    The fix is free -- don't pay for the software at the link you gave (though it will fix the problem).

This website has the info you need to disable net send.
    http://www.stopmessengerspam.com/

follow the links at the right on that page for your operating system, and follow the steps there to get rid of that annoying garbage.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Well wdn't just disabling the Messenger service solves the problem...:?:
    I think it should.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thanks Mr C, all done :cheers: :thumb: :D

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    Well wdn't just disabling the Messenger service solves the problem...:?:
    I think it should.
    You could indeed disable Messenger. The advantage to disabling the net send feature is that you can still utilize Messenger normally, without being interrupted by the spam.

YW DJ_Toastie, once we had a grip on the problem it became clear what the cure was. Enjoy:thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    You could indeed disable Messenger. The advantage to disabling the net send feature is that you can still utilize Messenger normally, without being interrupted by the spam.
    sorry for being so dumb but what do we mean by enjoying messenger out here? are we pointing towards MSN or windows messenger? :?:
    sorry for me being so ignorant of most of the command prompt programs...:(
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information