Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ISO Files

buddy...what exactly is your original file extension.
    .iso or .bin?
    if its .iso, use NERO to burn it and if its .bin, use Daemon tool to burn it.
    In any case I feel very soon someone will close this thread...:thumbs do
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Yes, if daemon can't mount your file then it's most likely corrupt.

:cheers:

The end. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    buddy...what exactly is your original file extension.
    .iso or .bin?
    if its .iso, use NERO to burn it and if its .bin, use Daemon tool to burn it.
    In any case I feel very soon someone will close this thread...:thumbs do
    It is an Application. Like I mentioned before my knowlege of ISO files is zilch. I was told that it was an ISO so I beleived it. I take it that an app can't also be an ISO? I extracted it to a bin file with the program you suggested but Nero nor Daemon can read either type of file. I'd say its currupt like tweaker mentioned. One other question can an ISO be unpacked with Winrar? It seems like I have had other files that do work and they were ISO, but I might be wrong. Does the extention have to be ISO to be an ISO?

ISO is an image of a CD...If you take an image of a CD exactly how it is with all its contents it is usually given a name an ISO.
    Its so called cos it has got an extension .iso...just like the applications have got a .exe extension.
    ISO is the most used extension for the image of a CD but there are different types of extensions used by different applications. Here's a small list of extensions along with the applications they are used by to be burnt on a CD.

- *.DAO (Duplicator), *.TAO (Duplicator), *.ISO (Nero, BlindRead, Creator), *.BIN (CDRWin), *.IMG (CloneCD), *.CIF (Creator), *.FCD (Uncompressed), *.NRG (Nero), *.GCD (Prassi), *.P01 (Toast), *.C2D (WinOnCD), *.CUE (CDRWin), *.CDI (DiscJuggler), *.CD (CD-i OptImage), *.GI (Prassi PrimoDVD), *.PXI (PlexTools).

There are numerous other extensions used by specific burning tools.
    ISO is not something in specific, it is just an image of the CD. You can use most popular burning tools to burn it on a CD. About winrar being used to unpack ISO files...no idea...:thumbs do
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

ISO is an image of a CD...If you take an image of a CD exactly how it is with all its contents it is usually given a name an ISO.
    Its so called cos it has got an extension .iso...just like the applications have got a .exe extension.
    ISO is the most used extension for the image of a CD but there are different types of extensions used by different applications. Here's a small list of extensions along with the applications they are used by to be burnt on a CD.

- *.DAO (Duplicator), *.TAO (Duplicator), *.ISO (Nero, BlindRead, Creator), *.BIN (CDRWin), *.IMG (CloneCD), *.CIF (Creator), *.FCD (Uncompressed), *.NRG (Nero), *.GCD (Prassi), *.P01 (Toast), *.C2D (WinOnCD), *.CUE (CDRWin), *.CDI (DiscJuggler), *.CD (CD-i OptImage), *.GI (Prassi PrimoDVD), *.PXI (PlexTools).

There are numerous other extensions used by specific burning tools.
    ISO is not something in specific, it is just an image of the CD. You can use most popular burning tools to burn it on a CD. About winrar being used to unpack ISO files...no idea...:thumbs do
    So a raw ISO (file) program could be burnt to a CD without any modifications and it would work like the original program? This doesn't make sense to me.
    The entire contents of the particular CD program you are talking about above must be compressed someway inorder for it to only show up as a single file and have an extension behind it like ISO, right?

buddy when you make an image of a CD its just not one .exe file. It has lots of folders, and files scattered it all over.
    when you take its image you got an ISO...ever saw a Windows CD...wat have you got there...just one .exe file?
    You are thinking a CD to be having just one .exe file...it doesn't work that way. The image you have will be having lots of files in it arranged just the way the set up of that program needs to acess it, or in other words just they way it was there on the original CD.
    Now if that doesn't make sense to you...well...
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

buddy when you make an image of a CD its just not one .exe file. It has lots of folders, and files scattered it all over.
    when you take its image you got an ISO...ever saw a Windows CD...wat have you got there...just one .exe file?
    You are thinking a CD to be having just one .exe file...it doesn't work that way. The image you have will be having lots of files in it arranged just the way the set up of that program needs to acess it, or in other words just they way it was there on the original CD.
    Now if that doesn't make sense to you...well...

Thats not what I meant. I know programs usually cantain a Exe file and many other files including compressed files, rarely is the entire program contained in only one EXE file unless it is compressed.
    What I thought was that MAYBE you could somehow burn an ISO file to a CD (got this only from reading your post) and then the other files would become decompressed somehow through the burning software. Thats all. I didn't think it was so, but not knowing squat diddly about what a ISO file really is I can't say much although I've probably worked with them and didn't really see the difference in them from any other compressed files. I just happened to get a file that was suppose to be an ISO file and I can't get it to decompress into the many files you are talking about, so I thought I needed to do something different from the norm.

An .iso is a picture so to speak, of all those files and folders.
    Say you were to take a picture of a town from the air - you get an image on paper that has all the buildings. The library, Post Office, Town Hall are all there.

In the simplest of terms, an .iso is a picture just like that - only this time its files instead of buildings.
    That way, as asklepios stated, the layout of the files remains the same as the original - so if the program is coded to look at track 43 for a particular file, it will be at track 43 - just like the original.

You have to burn the .iso as an image in order to restore it to the "readable" condition that the original CD was in at the time the image was made.

If you were to burn as .iso to disc as if it were any plain ol' file, what you would get is essentially a backup copy of the .iso instead of the readable disc you desire.

Once the image is restored in this manner it then has all the individual files as placed there by the image.
    Until then, it is so to speak, simply a one-dimensional picture, just like the one of the town.

ummm, I don't know if this is helping, but a poor explanation is better than none:o
    what am I saying, everyone knows a poor explanation is crap:rolleyes:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Its not at all a poor explanation Mr. C...rather its the best one I have heard of .ISO files.
    I hope Onebadass will get it now.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Its not at all a poor explanation Mr. C...rather its the best one I have heard of .ISO files.
    I hope Onebadass will get it now.

If I seen an ISO image I'd probably understand it. From what I'm hearing here, I'm beginingg to beleive the file I have was never an ISO file to begin with and I probably have never seen one before in my life. Even though I had my doubts about the file I had being an ISO, I'm sorry I didn't know about it and understand that it is probably just a big corrupted file instead of a legit ISO image it at first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information