Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: burning a bin file that is larger than 700MB

i have a bin file and matching cue file for a cd i wish to burn. the bin file is 745MB. can i use cdr-win to make a cd with this file? is there another program i should use to do this?

i had 2 bin files in excess of 720 MB. i was able to use cdr-win 5 to write cd images. when done the cd's were under 700 MB. i haven't installed the program yet as i am waiting for some parts to meet the requirements. but when i insert each disc the autorun menu comes up and eveything looks ok.

go figure?

:cheers:

Did CDR-Win ask you for finalizing the disk?
    If it did and you did finalize the disk, some amount of disk space is saved by finalizing and not creating Lead-in and Lead-out along with the overhead that a CD-R burning programs use.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    Did CDR-Win ask you for finalizing the disk?
    If it did and you did finalize the disk, some amount of disk space is saved by finalizing and not creating Lead-in and Lead-out along with the overhead that a CD-R burning programs use.
    no it didn't ask me to finalize.

Use Nero burning software, it don't matter if your bin file is 750 mb or even bigger, the file is a image of a cd and it will not be to big when mounted/burned in Nero. :thumb:

And no, Nero won't ask you to finalize those image burnings either..

It means that the image file of 720MB was just taking 720MB on your HD, while its actual size was a bit lesser.
    Different files takes different space in the clusters on HD.
    For example if you save a file on a HD with FAT32 kind of format, the space that file uses might be more to that compared with the one it uses in NTFS format.
    While on CD there are no such problems and may be you experienced a same thing while burning a 720 MB file on a 700MB disk.
    Another thing that happens is over-burning. The program you are using might be able to over-burn a disk. While over-burning the program burns the CD even on its edges, which allows you to store a bit more of data on a particular CD than you would have done in normal circumstances. The efficiency of over-burning a CD depends on both the CD as well as the CD-writer you are using. Seems to me that you are quite lucky to have not got a toast for a CD, cos there could be a clear case of over-burning.

About Nero not asking for finalizing, well may be The_tweaker never experienced it, but nero does ask you to finalize the CD when it finds that it will be difficult to store the data on a single CD.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

oh yes i have experienced it many times, but never when i burn image files for some reason, maybe Nero is set to close the disc by default when burning images.

I don't think that nero would do anything like closing a disk everytime it burns an image on to it.
    Would it mean that if i burn a 600MB image file on a 700MB disk I won't be able to use the CD again. :?:
    Now there is definitely a point missing there...wat do u say? :cheers:
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Absolutly a point there, but i burn a minimum of 5-10 bin/cue image discs/day and have been doing that for the last year, those images has been from 200 mb up to 750-760 mb and Nero has never asked me about this with any of these discs. Only when i burn other formats like plain iso or vcd/svcd etc..

Just dunno what to say, why would i lie..:?:

:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information