Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anything to find out bad sector location?

seagate used to have a disk diagnostic tools boot disk utility that you could download from their website [all the major drive manufacturers have them]. the tool will run a diagnostic test on your drive and tell you if you need to RMA it. also some of these tools will tell you which disk locations have gone bad. then you would have to fiure out which partition the "bad sectors" are on

i tried those utilities...it is known as sea tools, but it only checks whether the drive is doing well electrically or machanically and the drive passed all the tests.
    i feel it is more of a propaganda than anything else, so that people refrain from sending the drives for RMA and keep taking that soft BS thing from the technical support.
    not to say much but those sea tools passed a drive that needed another utility (Disk Wizard by seagtae itself) to get it detected at start-up!!!!!! i connected another drive to see whether it is a cable or mobo related problem and the other drive worked fine. now what should i say about those tools?
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Disc Wizard I have always thought was a BIOS overlay which writes to the boot sector of the hard drive so the entire hard drive can be used on your PC. generally it is only needed if your BIOS doesn't recognize the whole hard drive.

This may be old thinking from back in the days of the 540 MEG BIOS limits but that the way I've always dealt with it.:blah:

yeah thats one part of Disk Wizard.
    I don't know whether you used it or not but it does have quick and full format utilities too which are said to be helping you with SOFT bad clusters.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Bad sectors are usually caused by corrupted files. A way that you can fix or repair bad sectors is to perform a 'Low Level Format'.

During a low-level format the disk's tracks are divided into a specific number of sectors. Low-level formatting can be likened to painting parking bays in a parking lot. The sector header and trailer information is recorded as an inter sector and inter track gap. Each sector's data area is filled with a dummy byte value or test pattern of values. The number of sectors per track depends on the drive and controller interface. IDE drives can have between 17 and 100 sectors per track. Some drives actually use a technique called zone recording, which writes a variable number of sectors per track. The outermost tracks hold more sectors than the innermost tracks, because they are physically longer.

For IDE drives, low-level formatting is normally performed at the factory. It is not generally recommended to low-level format an IDE hard disk. Some claim that low level formatting not done at the factory will not be successful due to th unavailability of the special equipment needed. However if all fails, a low level format may be attempted

This may be carried out using one of the following tools:
    *a low level format utility supplied by manufacturer.
    *a format option in the CMOS setup program.
    *a third party low level formatting program, such as Micro-Scope.
    :blah:
    NB: low level formatting should only be used as a last resort because, if not successful, it can make the disk unusable. :tears:

Not sure if this might help, just thought I'd mention it.

try this 1 it,s got a lot off testing stuff
    http://www.tufftest.com/ttp01.htm

don't know if it will be any good for you but look into it:cheers:

thanx a lot for the info :)
    it might not help me now but i surely will keep track of this thing in future.
    :cheers:
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

There's a utility on the XP CD called CVTAREA.EXE which will tell you what sectors/clusters are in use by a file. that is helpful if you know which file is corrupt. the file can be found in the system/tools/ directory on the CD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information