Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am VERY afraid

Major concern here:

I am getting disturbing temps from my T'bird. I finally got it into a case that I modded for practice, before I takle the new one. I had read before about poor positioning of the temp sensor, so I put the sensor very close to the die, without touching. Used AS2 for interface with OCZ Gladiator w/ delta. When I hooked up the sensor to the digidoc, I shut it down as fast as I could. It had hit 63C :mad: and was still climbing. I had actually been running it for weeks with the sensor unhooked, so I got brave and rebooted to see where it would settle. The temps stablilized at about 68C.

In the case I modded, I added 2x92mm intakes and 1x92mm exhaust behind the CPU, and PSU has a 60 or 80mm exhaust (Enermax). Granted, that isn't a lot, but seemed like more than enough to keep me below critical. The original temp were with the 1.4 OC'd to 1.63, so I put everything back to stock and temps went down to about 63C. I shut down UD and they went down to about 58-59C. If I do anything, including just surfing the net, temps will get back up to about 62C.

Anyone have a clue as to what might be going on? :hammer:

Thanx JM
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

What Software are you using to monitor your Temps, Asus probe tends to be high.

Comment

confirmed by two diferent thermal probs. It's not perfect either, but it's the best I've found and use it because it recognized......:)

Two questions, what's your bio's temps readings, what was it before the mod's.

I notched my shim for the probs, had to play with it to get it positioned. I'll see if I can find the article discribing the method.
      If you like it it might help. GL jm, good to see ya.:D

Comment

Perhaps the temp. probe is large enough where it seperates the heatsink from the core a small amount, and it is reading the temp. off of the PCB near the core, which would be quite hot from the lack of cooling.

Comment

Using Digidoc5 to monitor temp. I have an Epox 8k7a+ Mobo. I have never used the onboard monitoring feature, because I often hear that they are unreliable/inaccurate for varying reasons. Figured that the Dd5 would be the way to go. I am using the flat sensor for the CPU seemed more than thin enough to not interfere with the die/HS interface, but I will take another look at it.

I just thought of this: is it possible that the sensor is in direct contact with the HS and that is increasing the reading? Just thinking out loud.

This has been bugging me for a while and I couldn't wait till the forum got back up so I could get some other thoughts... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by JealousMidget
            I am using the flat sensor for the CPU seemed more than thin enough to not interfere with the die/HS interface, but I will take another look at it.

Just to ease my mind here... you have installed the probe beside the processor core, right? Not between the core and the sink?
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

[QUOTE][i]
              I just thought of this: is it possible that the sensor is in direct contact with the HS and that is increasing the reading? Just thinking out loud.

You want the measure the environmental T not the componant T.
              For visual confirmation, put a thin, and I mean thin coat of compound on the prob. Just enough to mark the bottom of the hs, if it is making contact with the hs you'll see it. Besure to clean the prob & hs proir to reinstallation. I'm thinking what your thinking.....

Your right about DD5 it's better, but checking the bio's T's would give you the diagonist T to see what going on. E to E,

DD5 hi : Bios (1) lo, conclusion confirmed

pull the prob

Bios (1) = Bios (2), conclusion.......

DD5 hi : Bios (1) hi, It 3 alarm time, you got a problem.

Like Darth, the tip near but not touching the core, and not the hs.

GL

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion

Just to ease my mind here... you have installed the probe beside the processor core, right? Not between the core and the sink?
                :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Geez, Darth, I was hoping that I gave the impression of a slightly higher compentency level. So much for that :p

Just for the record, the sensor is NOT between the die and sink! :)

JM

Comment

I was figuring as much, but I just wanted to make sure. No offense intended, but I have found it is better if the obvious is asked at the beginning. :)

The DigiDoc unit has numerous probes if I remember correctly. You might want to try another sensor to see if it gives a similar reading. At least that way you'll know whether or not the sensor is to blame.

As for placement, put the very tip of the sensor as close as possible to the core. It would be best if you were to install it at about a 90 degree angle. Since the actual thermistor is at the tip of the probe, this will give you the most accurate results. I have found that a smallpiece of tape will hold it in place. Just make sure that the tape doesn't cover multiple bridges. While tape isn't really that conductive, I always like to be safe.

After we determine whether the probe is accurate, we'll look at some solutions if the problem is still there. :D

Good luck.
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

Okay, Since I built my computer this summer, I always had this feeling that my temp was too high. I download motherboard monitor 5..and it says my cpu temp is 72 degrees. My case temp, and the other temp are both 23 degrees. It am running a globalwin wbk38 cooler. I did use the thermal tape, just because I was told that it would suffice. If you guys could hook me up with some info, I would appreciate it. If need be, I will order a thermalrigh sk6, with a 50cfm fan and artic silver. I can't lose this processor.

Also, what can I do to cool this processor with my wbk38? I have two 1.4s and I don't want to buy two sk6s. Thanks.

Really, really love the fact that you guys are back up. Great Site!!

Comment

Ok, I took out the mobo in preparation to remove the HSF and examine sensor location. I restarted and temps dropped by 20C! Max with UD running is 48.4C and I haven't changed anything yet. So it became immediately obvious that it was my case setup. After some thought I decided that the 92mm exhaust fan behind the cpu is starving the "little" delta for fresh air to blow over the sink.

I was wondering if I mounted another 92mm fan in the door right over the delta if that would solve the problem or even consider a 120mm (but don't have one handy). Just too lazy to work out air flows. ;) Anyone else run across something like this?

thx JM

Comment

Forgot to mention that the 48.4 was @ 1.6 GHz

Comment

I've always found that a good case fan positioned over the top of the HSF works well and in my case cuts the noise of those screamin' 60mm fans down a bit as well as supplin' fresher air. ;)
                          <center></center>

Comment

:Dya could pipe the air off the 92, as well. Those hoarble little plastic cpu fan adaptors work really every well to hold the pipe. This would focus feed your cpu fan, dispite your environmental conditions.

Comment

I have one cooler on top of my case one in the front one behind the cpu and my cpu runs at 32 degrees!

Comment

Working...
                              X