Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP sleep states

Hi

I have noticed that there is a small registry update to XP specifically for my Dell PC.

This is in the readme:
    This file is required to allow the system to correctly implement the S1 and S3 sleep states under Microsoft Windows XP, Dell highly recommends the you follow the steps below to avoid any issues with the native Windows XP sleep states.
    I applied the entries to the registiry as further described in the readme. But I didn't notice any changes afterwards. Do I have to enable it somewhere in XP?

Thanks!

The sleep states have to do with the different Power Management modes that are available with most of the MS operating systems. It will only have an effect if you use these features.

I personally stay away from them, and always disable power management functions in both the BIOS and the Control Panel. I have had nothing but bad luck with any of them, so if I am going to be away from my computer for a while, I just turn it off.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I also agree that these functions cause more problems than they are practical. :(
      <center></center>

Comment

hrm, i think this should be moved into the XP sub-forum...
        At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

done
          SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
          Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

don't put it to sleep, run UD:)

Comment

UD? What is that?

Comment

United Devices (UD) is a program that ya run which uses the spare cycles of ya PC to compile information on how certain chemicals may be used to interact with cancer cells to find cure basically and quiet a few of the forum members here run it. ;)
                <center></center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  United Devices (UD) is a program that ya run which uses the spare cycles of ya PC to compile information on how certain chemicals may be used to interact with cancer cells to find cure
                  in simple, no-need to think english wiggo?? ;)
                  TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Not to brag - but my system sleeps flawlessly (Win98 SE).

Nice because it allows me to power down the monitor - saves a bit of money when running UD 24/7.
                    Don't let the HDD power down - that won't allow UD to write to it as needed.

Recently talked my brother through setting his up that way - he had problems to no end
                    I warned him - I didn't build it, so you might have problems:laugh:
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

most only like working in that manner if the relative bios options were set during the original install anyway, so if you are adding them in later, the chance that it won't work is increased moreso than the original chance of it working on a fresh install :D

Comment

Working...
                      X