About monitor modding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About monitor modding...

Is there anyway of modding my monitor (just spraypaint), to make it match my pc? should i take off the other shell?

- Bud

I saw a good article on that on a tech page awhile back, let me see if I can dig it up. Until then the answer is yes take off the outter shell. If you don't it is a good chance your monitor will not work anymore

Comment

Just be very careful though as some components in a monitor will still carry a good charge in them. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
        Just be very careful though as some components in a monitor will still carry a good charge in them. :smokin:

That's very True, once when I was in my electronics class I saw a class mate get flung clear across a room for not paying attention to what wires he was touching. Zap!

Bustout!

Comment

Yep even if they've been unplugged for a week. :smokin:

Comment

good point Wiggo

Comment

I thought so after seenin' one idiot thrown by one. :eek:
              And that had not been powered up for several days. :smokin:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                And that had not been powered up for several days. :smokin:
                well actualy, the monitor not have been plugged in for a while, has nothing to do with the charge/discharge of the capicators etc in the monitors PSU, capacitors don't loose their charge unless they are discharged by something connecting both contacts

that concludes lesson one of electronics :p
                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Try it and find out for ya self. ;)

Comment

Andy, I have just spent 3 hours today studying CRT tubes and capacitors.....

The capacitors in a monitor are HUGE!!! Not some pissy little ones like on a motherboard, but big ones that store up to 25,000 volts for a long period of time (up to a month in some cases).

Problem in mind, removing the outer case is usually OK, the capacitor pins are usually facing down on the bottom circuit board - just be careful removing the cover and don't force it if it won't go. I busted the neck of a CRT tube by doing that - depressurised it = no monitor :cry:

And also make sure the paint can withstand high temperatures and isn't highly flammable - monitors can often reach boiling point at times :eek:

So listen to your elders Andy :p
                    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

pfft elders shmelders :p
                      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Shall we teach him some respect boys? :hammer:

Keep that up and I'll flood your crappy Optus@Home connection with my 33.6Kbps uplink..... err..... *runs and hides* :eye: :D
                        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Now good luck with the modding of the monitor!

Comment

we had a whole class in my first year of Electrical Engineering in college based on CRT's, it was a blast more plp got popped that semester HEHE

Comment

It's really amazes me how many ppl out there don't realise how much of a wack monitors and TV's can deliver even without bein' powered for days on end. :eek:
                              I remember when I use to go to school that one morning on the way there a m8 decided to investigate the inside of a TV that was on the roadside. He was charged up for school that day. :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                              X