PDA

View Full Version : About monitor modding...

Anonymous
02-12-2002, 09:23 AM
Is there anyway of modding my monitor (just spraypaint), to make it match my pc? should i take off the other shell?

- Bud

ne0z
02-12-2002, 10:14 AM
I saw a good article on that on a tech page awhile back, let me see if I can dig it up. Until then the answer is yes take off the outter shell. If you don't it is a good chance your monitor will not work anymore

Wiggo
02-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Just be very careful though as some components in a monitor will still carry a good charge in them. :smokin:
<center>:cheers:</center>

Bustout
02-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Just be very careful though as some components in a monitor will still carry a good charge in them. :smokin:

That's very True, once when I was in my electronics class I saw a class mate get flung clear across a room for not paying attention to what wires he was touching. Zap!

:drunk: Bustout!

Wiggo
02-12-2002, 02:30 PM
Yep even if they've been unplugged for a week. :smokin:
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

ne0z
02-14-2002, 09:36 AM
good point Wiggo

Wiggo
02-14-2002, 10:19 AM
I thought so after seenin' one idiot thrown by one. :eek:
And that had not been powered up for several days. :smokin:

Andy
02-14-2002, 04:33 PM
And that had not been powered up for several days. :smokin:

well actualy, the monitor not have been plugged in for a while, has nothing to do with the charge/discharge of the capicators etc in the monitors PSU, capacitors don't loose their charge unless they are discharged by something connecting both contacts

that concludes lesson one of electronics :p

Wiggo
02-14-2002, 04:45 PM
Try it and find out for ya self. ;)

Albinus
02-14-2002, 04:57 PM
Andy, I have just spent 3 hours today studying CRT tubes and capacitors.....

The capacitors in a monitor are HUGE!!! Not some pissy little ones like on a motherboard, but big ones that store up to 25,000 volts for a long period of time (up to a month in some cases).

Problem in mind, removing the outer case is usually OK, the capacitor pins are usually facing down on the bottom circuit board - just be careful removing the cover and don't force it if it won't go. I busted the neck of a CRT tube by doing that - depressurised it = no monitor :cry:

And also make sure the paint can withstand high temperatures and isn't highly flammable - monitors can often reach boiling point at times :eek:

So listen to your elders Andy :p

Andy
02-14-2002, 05:05 PM
pfft elders shmelders :p

Albinus
02-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Shall we teach him some respect boys? :hammer:

Keep that up and I'll flood your crappy [email protected] connection with my 33.6Kbps uplink..... err..... *runs and hides* :eye: :D

MySTiCuSS
02-14-2002, 09:42 PM
Now good luck with the modding of the monitor!

ne0z
02-14-2002, 10:32 PM
we had a whole class in my first year of Electrical Engineering in college based on CRT's, it was a blast more plp got popped that semester HEHE

Wiggo
02-15-2002, 05:30 AM
It's really amazes me how many ppl out there don't realise how much of a wack monitors and TV's can deliver even without bein' powered for days on end. :eek:
I remember when I use to go to school that one morning on the way there a m8 decided to investigate the inside of a TV that was on the roadside. He was charged up for school that day. :laugh:

zeradul
02-15-2002, 07:29 AM
Yea, and another thing to keep in mind is that our capacitor technology is coming along way... today we can make capacitors the size of a fist that can hold more than any capacitor on earth prior to 1980...

And if you must work on something with capacitors, use one hand, or better yet, one hand holding an insulated screwdriver... and wear safty glasses, because tiny droplets of molten lead in the eyes don't feel good.

Use two hands and you'll be dead.

Budster
02-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Well, I was able to successfully spray it... IT LOOKS SWEET!!! no shocks for me... I'll get pictures later

- Bud

Andy
02-15-2002, 01:10 PM
well what i was trying to get at was, capacitors aren't meant to loose their charge unless something uses up the power or the 2 legs are shorted

hence having a monitor that is not pluged in for more than a few days will still hold its charge, ya get what i'm trying to say??

Wiggo
02-15-2002, 01:12 PM
No Andy we're not at all. :laugh:

Andy
02-15-2002, 01:15 PM
well your just a barstard then aren't ya? (retorical question)

Wiggo
02-15-2002, 01:38 PM
That's ok we'll forgive ya youngness. ;)

ne0z
02-16-2002, 04:29 AM
actually on a monitor that is fairly new the capacitors are the least of your worrys. The Flyback transformer is where the real juice is. I am talking 25k + volts. You can decharge a monitor by just lifting up the rubber gromet leading into the tube and shorting it with a screwdriver. the Flyback transformer is not that easy

Onyx
02-18-2002, 08:42 AM
monitors can often reach boiling point at times :eek:

And yet why do hardcore tweakers and overclockers look down on me and bag me out for my "rice" monitor cooler?? :cry:

Albinus
02-18-2002, 10:11 AM
Well you'll be the one laughing Onyx when your monitor doesn't die in the heat like everyone else's :thumb:

So don't look down on yourself - I approve of that ;)

Bustout
02-18-2002, 01:51 PM
And yet why do hardcore tweakers and overclockers look down on me and bag me out for my "rice" monitor cooler?? :cry:

Pardon me for asking, but what the bloody 'ell is a "rice" monitor cooler?

Albinus
02-18-2002, 01:53 PM
Pardon me for asking, but what the bloody 'ell is a "rice" monitor cooler?

"Rice" is a derogatory term used to describe a product of Asian origin, for example people who like American cars *cough* Wiz *cough* call Japanese cars "Rice Mobiles"

Bustout
02-19-2002, 01:35 PM
"Rice" is a derogatory term used to describe a product of Asian origin, for example people who like American cars *cough* Wiz *cough* call Japanese cars "Rice Mobiles"

Ok, I get the "Rice" part, it's more the Monitor Cooler that I'm wondering about. What's the point? Sure it gets hot, but they're dessigned to stand the heat. Just don't put papers and stuff on top of the vents and you should be fine.

Albinus
02-19-2002, 04:17 PM
Well until recently my 19" monitor was backed up against a window on the top floor facing west - hottest part of the house. So that's where monitor coolers come in handy :thumb:

Mr. C
02-19-2002, 06:16 PM
I tried cooling the monitor once.
Grand experiment - miserable failure.
It was like it overcooled one of the electron guns or something and caused that color to be missing?

Result - the most awful display I've ever seen.
I guess this ol' ADI Duo thrives on the heat:?: Definitely wouldn't reccomend it for an antarctic research station:thumbs do

Bustout
02-20-2002, 03:53 AM
Well until recently my 19" monitor was backed up against a window on the top floor facing west - hottest part of the house. So that's where monitor coolers come in handy :thumb:

Well, I'm not sure about your part of the world, but here in the USA we have blinds (or curtains if you prefer) and air conditioning. Now I don't know about the rest of you but I've found them to be prety effective, not only at keeping a monitor cool but as an additional bonus the climate is well suited for living in as well. :crazy:

Wiggo
02-20-2002, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately AirCon in Australia is pretty expensive to run so a lot of houses don't have it and curtians don't help all that much. :(

Bustout
02-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately AirCon in Australia is pretty expensive to run so a lot of houses don't have it and curtians don't help all that much. :(

Oy! It's expensive as all heck to run here too, (energy crisis not withstanding). But in true american fashion, spend now, file for chapter 11 later. : party ha

Shepps
02-23-2002, 11:36 PM
Here in the UK ur more worried bout water than heat lol

Wiggo
02-24-2002, 07:09 AM
Well keepin' warm is not a prob here but keepin' cool is something else. :smokin:

Albinus
02-24-2002, 11:21 AM
A/C is growing in popularity here, but very expensive. For instance, our 3-monthly power bill is about A$150, but my aunty who has A/C pays about A$500 :eek:

And I have more computers running than she does... the A/C really slurps up the juice :thumbs do

SegiY
02-28-2002, 12:11 PM
Rumor has it that if you tape some C4 onto the side of a monitor and toss it off a resonable building it will detonate :flames:

zeradul
02-28-2002, 12:45 PM
Hmm, how state of the art are your new buildings in Australia?

Todays houses here can be built with such good insulation its insane. R21 - 45 standard !?! Wrap the house with a few good vapor barriors, and some tyvek. Decent siding and good windows, and insulate the attic, and AC doesn't cost that much. My family has a 20 year old house, and we keep the inside temperature at 70 degrees, year round, and even during the hottest of periods, we have one month where it is pretty consistantly 95-100 during the day, and drops to 75-85 at night, and humid as heck, and even in those conditions our AC bill still only accounts for about 30% increase in our bill. But then again, you can use an air conditioner really inefficiently. Setting an AC unit on a thermostat is dumb. Long cycles are WAY MORE efficient than short little cycles. Running an AC unit at night is WAY MORE efficient, beucase it is easier to dissipate heat in a cooler medium. Keeping your house cool, and keeping airborn moisture out is KEY, because an AC unit can only cool dry air, and if there is moisture in the air, it has to expend energy to condense it before it can cool anything. But Like I said, good insulation is key.

I have an uncle that grew up in the US and now lives in Germany, and when it came time for him to build a house, he had the opportunity to buy american materials, and ship them over, and then splurge and have some of his US friends who are building contractors go on vacation to build his house, and not only did it go up twice as fast as an equivalent german house, their house is by far more efficient. It cost almost the same to build, and operational costs are way below the average house there. My Grandpa went to help, and he was amazed at the lack of standardization. He bought some plumber tools, and NONE of them have any size settings, they are all designed to fit ANY size, because of all the wierd standards. They are the wierdest tools, they all have pretty clever ways of securely fastening themselves to any size.

I'm not saying australia is like that, but honestly, new german construction on the average residential house is similar to that of US houses in the 1930's. Lack of efficient methods to doing almost everything. My uncle says that while they were building, on a daily basis people would come and spectate. Comment on how foolish it is to build a house out of wood, (opposed to bricks, and concrete)

I'm just saying its wierd how resistant to new ideas people can be.

Wiggo
02-28-2002, 01:48 PM
It's not the technology used here in building houses but the price they whack us for usin' power. :(

zeradul
02-28-2002, 03:21 PM
What is your main source of power? I'd think you could pull off nuclear and get your prices down.... You're not shipping in coal are you?

Wiggo
02-28-2002, 04:39 PM
We have plenty of coal though most of our power comes from hydro-electricity but companies want to make suare of makin' a buck and the 1 nuclear plant here has 3/4 of the population wanting it close. :smokin:

zeradul
02-28-2002, 06:27 PM
people are paranoid and ignorant about nuclear power, its clean, cheap, and safe if maintained correctly...

Bustout
03-01-2002, 10:58 AM
people are paranoid and ignorant about nuclear power, its clean, cheap, and safe if maintained correctly...

That's so very true! I'm pissed off about the stupid liberals in office here in California. They would rather save a spotted, two toed, one humped, three spleened, albino, tree leach than put up a new nuke plant that will help lower the cost of living here for the Human inhabitants of the state. Paranoid pricks!:shoot2:

MySTiCuSS
03-01-2002, 11:02 PM
Nuclear power? You now what happenend in Tsjernobyl!

Albinus
03-02-2002, 09:34 AM
Wiggo - 101 in Australian power ;)

There are NO nuclear power stations in Australia. We have a nuclear reactor for research purposes, which also uses 30% uranium instead of the normal 3%. Coal delivers about 85% of the electricity required in Australia. Hydroelectric provides 13%, and gas and diesel generators make up the remainder. The Snowy Mountains scheme which was built in the 1950's is not providing ample hydroelectric capacity anymore. The only state that is almost totally supplied by hydroelectric is Tasmania.

In my state (Queensland) the ratio is about 97% supplied by coal - our state's largest export. The remainder is supplied by hydroelectric schemes, most of them small. We have one on Wivenhoe dam, west of Brisbane which is activated for the 5PM rush hour. In the early hours of the morning, the water is pumped back into the dam. And it still operates at an energy surplus.