No announcement yet.

Extremely poor hard drive performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely poor hard drive performance?

Ever since I installed WinXP Pro on my machine, my disk performance seemed very poor. Ran the disk benchmark in Sandra2002 and confirmed it. Right now I am only getting a score of 8365 on a 13.6Gb 7200RPM ATA66 drive. With Win98SE I used to score around 15000! Tried the UDMA66 patch and it didn't help. Any ideas?

What kind of system are we talking about here? It may be something in the way of IDE drivers that we need to look at.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Current system is WinXP Pro on:

MSI K7T Pro2-A (latest BIOS)
      Duron 650@950
      512MB PC-133 CL2 (2 x 256, 1 crucial and 1 kingston)
      WD 13.6 GB UDMA66
      SB Live X-Gamer
      Viper 770 Ultra
      Plex 12/10/32A
      Creative 52X CD-Rom
      Linksys Ethernet
      Generic Lucent Winmodem

-Hard drive is the only drive on the Primary IDE channel
      -Installed VIA 4in1 4.37 (also uninstalled and tried WinXP default with no difference in performance)
      -UDMA is enabled under device manager, but when I look at DMA in System Info I only see "Channel 2 Standard Floppy Disk Controller," and "Channel 4 Direct Memory Access Controller." Not sure, but I seem to remember that Win98SE listed all DMA enabled devices individually.
      -I didn't do a clean install, I did an upgrade from Win98SE but did not change any hardware. I did convert the drive to NTFS, and unfortunately did not run any benchmarks before I converted so I don't know if that is part of the problem.

I'm banging my head against the wall on this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X