Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keyboard

Hi there:
    again i have no clue where to post this but i trust it will be put in t correct place. Can someone please help me with the following problem:
    i have a new laptop but recently i got a old keyboard from a friend of mine, to attach it, for better typing, when im at home. The thing is, i can't get it working. I

m not sure if its the keyboard or maybe i should install it properly. Its a HP keyboard, not too old. Im not sure what more info i shoud give you but if i should, please ask me. If you a need a number or something, tell me where to look. i have no papers or anything, just teh keyboard.. Thanks a lot, Jessy

is it a ps2 keyboard?

Comment

assuming its a PS2 keyboard, all laptops ive seen have only had a ps2 mouseport, no kb, so this could be your prob

Comment

Actually, the PS2 port on the back of laptops is for either mouse or keyboard (or if you get an adapter, both).

Just a couple things to try. Make sure you've got the keyboard plugged in before you turn on the laptop. When the laptop boots, watch the lights on the keyboard to see if they flash or light up. If not, then test the keyboard on another PC (in the same way) and see if it works then. This way you'll figure out what the actual problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
          Actually, the PS2 port on the back of laptops is for either mouse or keyboard (or if you get an adapter, both).
          wow, ya learn something new everyday

Comment

I got one of the ps2 splitters in my "crap" drawer. :)

Comment

I wonder how much "crap" everyone has here at TT??? oh well back to the topic i'm pretty sure if u plug it in before booting it will work:thumb:

Comment

I tried plugging it in before....doesn;t work. And what's a ps2 keyboard? Im sure thats something im supposed to know... Maybe the keyboard is broken. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Ps2 is a kinda port like usb but rounder:laugh: Its just for keyboards and mouses. so is ure keyboard ps2 or usb:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by jessy
                    I tried plugging it in before....doesn;t work. And what's a ps2 keyboard? Im sure thats something im supposed to know... Maybe the keyboard is broken. Any other suggestions?
                    PS2 is simply the type of connector it uses. It's a small round one, as rugbydude said.

Did you try it in another PC as well?

Comment

Its a ps2 then, no usb. Doesnt it have anything to do with the software? Im gonna try it on my other comp... I'll let you know how that works out...

Comment

I don't know but why am I finding this problem altogether to simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chaos

Comment

OK then Chaos, what's the problem and what's the solution?

Comment

Well it is not that I have a solution per-say, cuz I have never had this problem. But for one I think the guy should of tested his keyboard on another rig to see if it works. Than he should be able to test the labtop by putting a different keyboard in. If it don't work ya know it is the port or something else. Than ya either look around the net for some ideas or people with similar problems. No luck. Ya bring her on in and have some experts look at her.

This is my idea. All this only takes 1 day.

Chaos

Comment

Working...
                            X