Format HD for new motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Format HD for new motherboard?

I have a A7V266-E Asus motherboard i'm gonna upgrade to A7N8x nForce2 motherboard, my question is, do i have to format my harddrive and reinstall window xp? I am using window xp pro right now....

It would probably still work OK if you didn't, but personally I'd do one. Especially since you are going from the old VIA chipset to the nForce2 chipset, there's always a chance that the drivers could screw things around a bit. Plus a format on a fresh system always seems to make it look like it's running quicker. ;)

Comment

windows XP's activation will go postal on you if you switch mobos, not to mention a host of other problems that could arise....best to just format and reistall

Comment

i c..so i guess i'll have to format then ......grr

Comment

U dont need to re-install assuming u have a cd with SP1 built in. there is a repair function that will allow u to update the chipset of the board for the OS.

Comment

vinnieVen so u mean i just put the xp cd in and go to the repair function?? wow, i'll definitly try that!!! :D

Comment

yes.. this is excatly what i mean. when u do it, it is going to seem like a new install on the machine. assuming your copy of XP is legit, u may need to call M$ to authenticate. U will need to put in your M$ license #.

Comment

Working...
              X