An answer to noise???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An answer to noise???

With all the noise suuppression software out there, especially that that neutralises sounds by emanating complimentary wave frequencies, wouldn't you think that someone would have come up with a samll device that would sit in a PC, measure the fan sounds and frequencies and generate neutralising "counter-sounds".

Sure it might cost a couple of $$ but it would only require a small fraction of the PC capacity and a very small subset of current noise suppression software complexity.

Let us know if anyone knows of such a utility or plans to do one. It would have one HUGE market.

A couple of years back there was a device that was bein' sold here that done that sorta job for ppl who used noise equipment but it was a small unit that had earphones and clipped to ya belt or pocket. It was a hit for those into yard maintenance when it 1st came out. I wonder if they're still on the market. :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbugger
      With all the noise suuppression software out there, especially that that neutralises sounds by emanating complimentary wave frequencies, wouldn't you think that someone would have come up with a samll device that would sit in a PC, measure the fan sounds and frequencies and generate neutralising "counter-sounds".

Sure it might cost a couple of $$ but it would only require a small fraction of the PC capacity and a very small subset of current noise suppression software complexity.

Let us know if anyone knows of such a utility or plans to do one. It would have one HUGE market.
      Sounds like a great idea, However I looked in to this a few years ago for another type of project.
      It turns out to really silence something requires a high quality very fast processor/Amp, 1 or more very good microphones, and several or more very high quality speaker capable of exactly matching the sounds you are trying to mask and all the harmonics of those frequencies, If the sound your "masking" device makes are not Exactly the correct frequency (pitch), amplitude and precisly 180ยบ out of phase (timing), rather than canceling the sound you just make more noise.
      It is not as simple as it might seem, even for modest results, and the cost of doing it well is high.
      You can buy alot of sound deadening, and quiet fans for what it would cost to silence your PC

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
        A couple of years back there was a device that was bein' sold here that done that sorta job for ppl who used noise equipment but it was a small unit that had earphones and clipped to ya belt or pocket. It was a hit for those into yard maintenance when it 1st came out. I wonder if they're still on the market. :?:
        I did use a pair of sound canceling headphones in a heavy industral test I think the pair I used were around $280 US, about 10 years ago used a couple aaa battries per shift. They work mostly by being very well sound insulated and had a small microphone facing forward.it would pick up peoples voices, but only if they talked at the mic,I think it amplified just some of the voice freq. (everything sounded flat) and a general blocking hum. work ok for constant noise (motors, hydralics) but did not block hammering, presses.
        also made your ears feel strange at the end of the day, after a couple months I when back to ear plug and ear muff together, it just seemed to work better

Comment

I found a solution....I gave the TB1200 system to the dorta..with the noisy Swiftech fan, the vid card fan, three extra case fans, the chipset fan and two power supply fans....I built myself a nice quiet Duron 1gig system with three fans only...one low volume cpu fan, one small vid card fan and the power supply fan.....with what I do with a system I can't notice the performance drop at all but the silence is bliss..hmmm

Comment

Yeah I reckon a 1.2 Duron would do me. So long as it was paired with DDR and decent m/b and vid card. ;)

Comment

Working...
            X