Clean PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean PSU

Well, I guess this thread don't belong here, but I didn't know where to write it.

Anyone knows how to clean a PSU, or is it safe to clean? Or I better buy another one. I'm asking this because my PSU has tons of dusk and the dusk is going to the processor and the ram.

Thanks...

It's fairly safe to clean (so long as ya don't physically touch anything) but removin' the cover will void any warranty left (if any). Once unplugged, uninstalled and the cover removed just use a small long handled natural bristle brush and can of compressed air to get rid of the rubbish.

Comment

There's a couple ways to clean dust from a PC / PSU. One of them is to use a can of compressed air and blow it all away with some force. If you have to, you can remove the top cover of your PSU to get a better clean, but I'll have to advise against that for safety's sake.

There's also another product in a can, I can't remember the name of it, but it's a form of alcohol / acid or something that actually 'eats away' the dust and leave the PC clean. It's harmless to PC components, and does a great job cleaning. It can dry out your hands a bit though, but that heals. :) If I remember the name, I'll let you know...

EDIT: Lectra clean. That's the stuff. Hardware store would be the best place to find it. But one warning, test it on plastics first, as it can deteriorate / eat through some (CDs are a good example).

Comment

Thank you for your quick replies. For the warranty no problem, but I'm a little scare about the possibility of a shock or something like that, so how many time do you recommend to wait until I begin to clean it? You know after I unplugged it.

I will try to clean without opening it, for my personal safe, I had a bad luck with electricity.

BTW it will be wonderful is Beefy could tell me the name of such product, I hope you remember it :thumb:

:cheers:

Comment

I use the trusty can of air and an old toothbrush and a paper towel - same kit I use for all general PC cleaning __except optical drives.

I also don't advise taking the outer cover off
          Yet, I know of no other way to get the fan good and clean.
          so, I take the outer cover off and be really careful to keep my fingers and stuff away from all the components except the fan.

I've seen some products labled simply "electronics cleaner" that seem to do just about what Beefy described too.
          but I'm a little leary of that liquid business.
          hate to be offline anymore than absolutely necessary and I'd not want to take an extra 2 minutes to insure stuff was dry :laugh:
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

There's also another product in a can, I can't remember the name of it, but it's a form of alcohol / acid or something that actually 'eats away' the dust and leave the PC clean. It's harmless to PC components, and does a great job cleaning. It can dry out your hands a bit though, but that heals. If I remember the name, I'll let you know...

EDIT: Lectra clean. That's the stuff. Hardware store would be the best place to find it. But one warning, test it on plastics first, as it can deteriorate / eat through some (CDs are a good example).
            I too am leary of that stuff, for one, there are all kinds of plastic pieces within a Psu... and #2, nearly all liquids conduct electricity, and all PSu's are capable of storing power in their Capacitors for quite a while after having been unplugged....

Just use some gentle compressed air.

Comment

Definitively I will go for the Air Comp...

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
                I too am leary of that stuff, for one, there are all kinds of plastic pieces within a Psu... and #2, nearly all liquids conduct electricity, and all PSu's are capable of storing power in their Capacitors for quite a while after having been unplugged....

Just use some gentle compressed air.
                That's true, which is why I only used it once to clean off my Mobo / vid card. The plastic around wires and jumpers didn't get harmed either.

Comment

And let me once again stress... GENTLE COMPRESSED AIR... don't use any more force that what you would feel comfortable blowing at your ear from 5 inches away.

Comment

Working...
                  X