PDA

View Full Version : [email protected] Data Server Status

elrado1
05-31-2003, 05:15 AM
As you probably know, swapping completed units has gotten slow today. This is the latest statement form [email protected]:

Data Server Status
The data server is up and running, but dropping connections

Right now the data server machine is up, but not all clients are able to connect. This is due to our server being swamped with requests, and usually happens right after a server outage, or if there are greater network/database problems we are currently trying to fix. Please try connecting later.

For more information about previous outages, please check our Technical News (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/tech_news.html) page.

Wiggo
05-31-2003, 10:43 AM
That message is recycled so often. :laugh:

But things were fine here. ;)

CheeZmonZter
06-03-2003, 10:40 AM
I did notice that it took me over 4 hrs to transmit 40+ WU's!

elrado1
06-14-2003, 08:28 PM
Well, they're at it again with the dropped connections... But this has already been discovered by some of our Australian friends.

[email protected] server status
Last updated: 12:25:01 (UTC) on 2003-06-14

This web page gets updated automatically every five minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Data Server Status
Right now the data server machine is up, but not all clients are able to connect. This is due to our server being swamped with requests, and usually happens right after a server outage, or if there are greater network/database problems we are currently trying to fix. Please try connecting later.

Wiggo
06-14-2003, 10:26 PM
Yep it's down hard this time as I havn't been able to do a swap out for 14hrs now which means my connection will be at max for sometime once I can swap them out. :cry:

elrado1
06-15-2003, 02:30 AM
Quote: "[email protected] server status
Last updated: 18:25:00 (UTC) on 2003-06-14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Data Server Status
The data server is up and running"

At least that's what they're reporting ATM.

kane2g
06-15-2003, 05:53 AM
Works great for me now :thumb:

Wiggo
06-20-2003, 03:10 AM
<center> Jun 19, 2003 </center>
Website Outage Notice. This Sunday, 6/22/2003, there will be a 2 hour website outage starting at 16:00 UTC. Router hardware changes will be taking place.

elrado1
06-20-2003, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the UD. Let's see how much of a lag develops from a 2 hour outage. :cry:

Wiggo
06-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Isn't just a pain when they do that (even when un-notified)? :(

kane2g
06-23-2003, 09:30 AM
hmm When they are turning it back on again? 2hrs? yeah, I beleive that when I see it.

elrado1
06-23-2003, 10:10 AM
They started much later than the 16:00 UTC that they stated. It was somewhere between 22:00 - 24:00 UTC.

kane2g
06-23-2003, 10:16 AM
well, i havent been able to connect for about 4hrs now. :mad:

EDIT: Since I just connected and submitted a WU, I think they are just backed up.

elrado1
06-23-2003, 10:22 AM
They seem to be back up now. At least I got the user page to display recently and [email protected] is showing some results. They've got a sizeable lag as you can imagine.

amd_man2005
06-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Jus got through to Submit a wu too. Must be back up, bt is very swamped right now

kane2g
06-23-2003, 11:49 AM
well that was faily shot outage.
I know form experience that even a 10 min planned upgrade, quickly turns into a 3 hour troubleshooting spree.
so :thumb: to [email protected] team

elrado1
07-01-2003, 09:55 PM
If you've noticed a delay in sending units, this is currently being posted on the [email protected] site:

"Last updated: 13:45:00 (UTC) on 2003-07-01

Data Server Status
The data server process is not running
Right now the data server machine is up, but the process that actually serves the data is not running. This is probably because we're in the middle of upgrading the server software, or preparing for a quick reboot. These outages are usually brief (10-15 minutes). Please try back again soon."

:shrug:

elrado1
07-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Well I recently turned over a unit and found their updated statement:

"Last updated: 15:45:00 (UTC) on 2003-07-01

Data Server Status
The data server is up and running, but outgoing data rate is low
Right now the data server machine is up, but its outgoing data rate is very low. This can be due to many factors, the most likely being our server's dedicated connection to the outside world is currently broken. Please try connecting later."

Now for the lag... :cry:

TwistedMovistar
07-02-2003, 01:30 AM
before i read this post, earlier, i hit transmit on the driver and the words just slowly, I MEAN SLOOOOOWWWWWly, rooled out in the window, and i thought it was my computer

Wiggo
07-02-2003, 08:02 AM
I must have slept thru that one and missed it. :beer:

Andy
07-02-2003, 10:29 AM
i love how a supposed 10-15 minute outage lasted alsmot 2 hrs :hmph:

Wiggo, you probably did, it started at about 1 am this morning

Wiggo
07-02-2003, 07:35 PM
That's good as I'm only sendin' off units mid-morning and evening atm while construction is under way in the garden shed but things are warmin' up a bit. ;)

elrado1
07-02-2003, 09:33 PM
Ok, what the heck is THAT! I have no clue. Something to do with the brewing of beer maybe? :shrug:

Wiggo
07-02-2003, 09:52 PM
It's actually a home made "pot belly" stove made from 2 x 20" steel truck wheels, a plough disk, some extra 1/4" & 3/8" steel plate, some 6" dia. steel pipe and a 20' length of 4.5" galvanised steel water pipe as a flue plus a few other steel pieces. It was 8C outside today but a nice cosy 19C inside the shed. :D

elrado1
07-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Cute. I guess you're handy with a blow-torch or arch welder? Can't quite figure out the fuel source though. I don't see much in the way of ventilation.

Been wondering how winter's treating you. Bet you're comps are "happy" with the cool weather.

Wiggo
07-02-2003, 10:38 PM
The PC's are very happy atm as I've been able to keep the shop's temp at 10-15C with even my hottest runnin' in the low to mid 30C's though most under 30C.

About the stove, the red circle is the air intake adjustment (slots w/ slidin' metal shutter) with the green bein' the fuel hole and kettle plate and the blue arrow pointin' at the flue butterfly so it's also very economical on wood (or heat beads). :beer:

CheeZmonZter
07-03-2003, 01:22 AM
Resource full *******s you guys are down there! It sure isn't pretty but WTG Wiggo! Now when I get my shed built I will know exactly how I am going to heat it! It gets down to -10c here in the winter and since the forest is dead there is plenty of firewood!

kane2g
07-03-2003, 03:34 AM
Winter, huh?
:cantfocus

Wiggo
07-04-2003, 02:17 AM
Well we've had a couple of -10C mornin's here already and this one looks like it'll get close to that as well but the shed is a cosy 11C atm with that "pot belly" goin' (75' x 20' x 10' the shed measures, yeah the real estate's stats were out by a smidgen). ;)

amd_man2005
07-23-2003, 10:00 PM
I think the WU servers are down ATM. I cant get throuh at least

chezman
07-23-2003, 11:29 PM
Not bad Wiggo. A potbelly heater huh! The name fits it I guess.
Chez

elrado1
07-24-2003, 12:39 AM
I think the WU servers are down ATM. I cant get throuh at least

There must have been some sort of holdup, because I had a unit waiting to be transmitted when I got home. That's a tell-tale sign since I have SETI Driver set to transmit automatically. All's well now though. It went right through without a hitch, when I transmitted it manually. :)

elrado1
08-23-2003, 06:48 AM
August 22, 2003
One of the four CPUs on the main data server malfunctioned this morning, causing several crashes. We have pulled the bad CPU out of the system. A replacement from Sun should be arriving later today. We will need to have another outage to install the new CPU.

Wiggo
08-24-2003, 05:19 PM
It's just a shame that the backlog created by that CPU goin' down still hasn't cleared, 2 days of painfully tryin' to swap my w/u's out. :tears:

elrado1
09-04-2003, 04:18 AM
A few hours ago CheeZmonZter reported the following:

Data Server Status

Right now the data server machine is up, but its outgoing data rate is very low. This can be due to many factors, the most likely being our server's dedicated connection to the outside world is currently broken. Please try connecting later.

Berkeley now reports that the "The data server is up and running." Now, I'm sure the lag will be even greater! :?:

elrado1
09-05-2003, 02:55 AM
They are back at it:

Last updated: 18:50:00 (UTC) on 2003-09-04

Data Server Status
Right now the data server machine is up, but its outgoing data rate is very low. This can be due to many factors, the most likely being our server's dedicated connection to the outside world is currently broken. Please try connecting later.

elrado1
09-05-2003, 04:17 AM
Last updated: 20:15:01 (UTC) on 2003-09-04

Data Server Status
The data server is up and running
If you are experiencing problems connecting to our server, this may be due to network problems on your end, network problems on the University campus, or our server being swamped with requests.

elrado1
09-07-2003, 10:21 AM
The notice below is currently posted on the [email protected] web page:

September 5, 2003
Outage Notice.This Sunday, 9/7/2003, network maintenance will be performed at Space Sciences Lab. This web site may be unavailable for short periods throughout the day. Our data server will probably not be affected.

Wiggo
09-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Hah! That's a new one but I bet that the data server will go down anyway. :devil:

elrado1
09-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Indeed it'll be working just fine. We just won't be able to get to it. :devil win

(BTW Wiggo, the frame around your sig looks 100x better using Netscape than IE. In IE its just flat yellow lines. In Netscape its a nice 3D frame. Wondered if you knew?)

Wiggo
09-07-2003, 07:25 PM
No I didn't but then I gave up nutscrape as a bad joke years ago. :beer:

Wiggo
09-22-2003, 08:37 AM
Data Server Status
Right now the data server machine is up, but not all clients are able to connect. This is due to our server being swamped with requests, and usually happens right after a server outage, or if there are greater network/database problems we are currently trying to fix. Please try connecting later. I don't know when the server was down as earilier this mornin' I swapped out over 50 w/u's but I certainly can't get a connection to it now. :(

VinnieVen
09-22-2003, 08:38 AM
I havent had a problem at all :cheers:

elrado1
09-22-2003, 09:59 AM
No problems swapping WU's for me today. Been good since they got things straightened out on or about the tenth. :D

amd_man2005
09-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Im in the process of swapping out 14WU's and its goin fine

Wiggo
09-22-2003, 05:46 PM
The prob only lasted for about an hour this time so it wasn't so bad. ;)

elrado1
09-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Last updated: 02:30:00 (UTC) on 2003-09-23

Data Server Status

Yup. I would tend to agree. :(

elrado1
10-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Last updated: 13:45:01 (UTC) on 2003-10-23

Data Server Status
Right now the data server machine is up, but the process that actually serves the data is not running. This is probably because we're in the middle of upgrading the server software, or preparing for a quick reboot. These outages are usually brief (10-15 minutes). Please try back again soon.

Wiggo
10-23-2003, 10:10 PM
I've been seein' that for 3hrs now. :tears:

CheeZmonZter
10-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Its been changed to:

News

October 23, 2003
Our data server is down because of a disk problem on the user database host. We are working on a fix.

elrado1
10-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Oy! My browser on my comp at work doesn't refresh each time I visit a page and I cannot change the setting! So, I missed the latest developments. Thanks Cheez... :thumb:

elrado1
10-24-2003, 01:37 AM
Last updated: 17:45:00 (UTC) on 2003-10-23

Data Server Status

kane2g
10-24-2003, 04:27 AM
I havent seen any problems connecting in the past few days

At the chart below the red shows dropped connections.
I have hardly any, and im on dialup!!!

elrado1
10-25-2003, 08:22 PM
That's a nifty chart kane2g. Where's it come from?

TwistedMovistar
10-26-2003, 12:29 AM
they must be fixed becuase the school comps are submitting the wu's needed to bring andy in!

elrado1
10-26-2003, 02:45 AM
That's a nifty chart kane2g. Where's it come from? Never mind. Answered my own question. It's from SETIqueue, which I obviously do not use. ;)

kane2g
10-26-2003, 04:42 AM
Yeah, its SETIQueue.
It got that and whole bunch of other cool little graphs to map my progress!

Wiggo
10-26-2003, 06:30 AM
Yeah, its SETIQueue.
It got that and whole bunch of other cool little graphs to map my progress! And ppl thought that I was addicted. :D

kane2g
10-26-2003, 08:06 AM
And ppl thought that I was addicted. :D
Its not addiction if you do it on purpose!
Besides, Im still in denial!!!!!!

elrado1
10-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Berkeley seems to be completely offline ATM. Perhaps they have been affected by the wildfires So. Cal is currently experiencing. :(

elrado1
10-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Well, they're back and they have the following posted on the Home Page:

News
October 27, 2003
If you are unable to connect due to "100" errors (or perhaps "41") you may need to exit [email protected], remove the files "result.sah" and "user_info.sah" from your system, and then restart [email protected] This is probably fallout from the user database crash a few days ago. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Whatever the problem I was experiencing earlier is fixed.:)

kane2g
10-29-2003, 11:25 PM
Well its been terrible for me for the past 2 days. System was online last night and only submitted few WUs. I still had 30 left in the morning! :steam:

Wiggo
10-30-2003, 05:32 AM
Been no probs here the last few days. :shrug:

CheeZmonZter
11-03-2003, 02:09 AM
well I have fallen victim to this...have to delete all WU's for tonight:cry: :cry:

October 30, 2003

About one week ago our user database crashed. No data was lost, but there was a brief period of time where the server was in such an odd state that it accepted current results from users, but then corrupted their local user_info.sah file, which contains information about user id and credit.

Days later, when everything was normal, users started to return results infected with the bogus data in their user_info.sah file. Unfortunately our server rejects these particular results with a cryptic, fatal "100" error.

The problem is, users are still left with bogus user_info.sah files, and their result.sah files remain infected as well. So the only trustworthy solution is to just remove these offending files (search for the files "result.sah" and "user_info.sah" on your systems and delete them). When you start up [email protected] it will ask you to log in again. The process of logging in with clean up the user_info.sah files, and download a fresh workunit to chew on.

However, this also nullifies any work done on the infected result. We apologize for that wasted effort, but in the interest of clean science the best thing to do is just remove these files and start again on a new workunit from scratch.

People using third-party "add-on" software to cache units may be experiencing a set of other problems that our beyond our jurisdiction, since we haven't written that software and don't know how it works or why it is broken. There are several threads on our message boards discussing potential solutions depending on which add-on you are using.

Return to [email protected] Page

Wiggo
11-03-2003, 04:42 AM
So far I've only had that error 100 in 1 w/u (packet 11 in an XP1800+ runnin' SE, 1 w/u lost) but I'll have to wait and see if any of the slower PII's may have picked it up. :beer:

kane2g
11-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Well, they're back and they have the following posted on the Home Page:
Whatever the problem I was experiencing earlier is fixed.:)

Here;s a solution so you dont have to delete your whole cache :thumb:
" and for SETIDriver users:
>>>>
no, but I know how to fix it ;o)

first, copy the file "user_info.sah" from the SETIDriver root directory
into the directories with the "messed up" returns.
Then open the "user_info.sah" with wordpad and the "result.sah" in each
folder that has the "messed up" returns and replace the following info
result.sah user_info.sah
----------- -------------
user_id=0 with the number from id=xxxxxxx
user_key=-1 with the number from key=yyyyyyyy

and then just hit the [Transmit] button in SETIDriver

HTH"
I hope it works for you guys :cheers:

Wiggo
11-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Well the whole [email protected] site was down for about 6hrs today but it's gettin' back up now. :beer:
Data Server Status

Wiggo
11-16-2003, 03:35 PM
Finally after about 7hrs I'm swappin' out w/u's again but it's bloody slow goin' atm. :beer:

elrado1
12-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Data Server Status
The data server machine is currently down
For the past 8 minutes, the server machine has been either powered off, taken off line, or is in the process of rebooting. Please try back again soon.

They seem to be going through some gyrations... :shrug:

Wiggo
12-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Data Server Status
For the past 83 minutes, the server machine has been either powered off, taken off line, or is in the process of rebooting. Please try back again soon.
They're still not sure what's goin' on. :hammer:

Wiggo
12-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Well it's still down. :tears:

Data Server Status
For the past 243 minutes, the server machine has been either powered off, taken off line, or is in the process of rebooting. Please try back again soon.

elrado1
12-03-2003, 10:25 PM
Well it is now 14:25 UTC and it is still down. They haven't even changed the Data Server Status (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/sstatus.html) page since the update at 08:15:00 (UTC) on 2003-12-03 as posted above by Wiggo! :tears:

elrado1
12-04-2003, 12:39 AM
Finally some movement. :)
Data Server Status

Let's hope things get better from here on...

Wiggo
12-04-2003, 07:30 AM
Well it's taken a few hours battlin' but I've finally got my lot back up to date. :beer:

elrado1
12-17-2003, 10:46 PM
Well, it's official:

"Last updated: 14:40:00 (UTC) on 2003-12-17

Data Server Status
For the past 8 minutes, the server machine has been either powered off, taken off line, or is in the process of rebooting. Please try back again soon.'

They were having problems about four hours ago, when I first checked this AM (Eastern Time). But apparently things have gotten worse.

:cry:

elrado1
12-18-2003, 04:53 AM
Things seem to be getting back to normal, even though the server status still states that connections are being dropped. :shrug:

SETI at Work (http://www.setiatwork.com/) and their TweakTown [email protected] Daily Statistics (http://orion.setiatwork.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]&name=elrado1) page is back too. They have the following statement on their home page:

17-Dec SETIatWork was inaccessible for 7.5 hours because of our Domain Name Servers failed to start up after our ISP took down the DNS server for a 15 minutes maintenance. We will set up a few backup DNS to prevent this from happening again.

Funny, my ISP at home was off for a while early this morning too. :confused:

Andy
12-27-2003, 09:01 PM
Last updated: 13:05:00 (UTC) on 2003-12-27
Data Server Status

Right now the data server machine is up, but the process that actually serves the data is not running. This is probably because we're in the middle of upgrading the server software, or preparing for a quick reboot. These outages are usually brief (10-15 minutes). Please try back again soon.

is it just me or does it seem as if the data server is going down more and more often?

kane2g
12-27-2003, 10:35 PM
well aside from the usual

Data Server Status

they posted

Data Acquisition Status

Disabled: We are currently turned off at Arecibo Observatory. This may be due to hardware maintenance or another project at the Observatory is transmitting (and we are purposefully shut off to avoid aquisition of data contaminated with large bursts of radio frequency interference).

But i still cant submit any WUs :(
Luckly i got 500more qued :D

elrado1
02-15-2004, 11:00 AM
News:

"February 13, 2004
OUTAGE NOTICE. There will be a data server outage at some point between the hours of 08:00 and 12:00 UTC this coming Sunday, 2/15/2004. During this period our ISP, Cogent Communications, will be reconfiguring their core routers. It is unlikely that the outage will last the entire 4 hour period. "

So, if you can't connect, this is probably why.