1.4ghz t-bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.4ghz t-bird

I know I posted this before, but I figured it wouldn't get very many people looking at it. Appreciate the help.

Okay, Since I built my computer this summer, I always had this feeling that my temp was too high. I download motherboard monitor 5..and it says my cpu temp is 72 degrees. My case temp, and the other temp are both 23 degrees. It am running a globalwin wbk38 cooler. I did use the thermal tape, just because I was told that it would suffice. If you guys could hook me up with some info, I would appreciate it. If need be, I will order a thermalrigh sk6, with a 50cfm fan and artic silver. I can't lose this processor.

Also, what can I do to cool this processor with my wbk38? I have two 1.4s and I don't want to buy two sk6s. Thanks.

Really, really love the fact that you guys are back up. Great Site!!

1st you should get rid of the termal tape and lap the bottom of the WBK38 then reinstall it using a good heatsink paste which should get ya some better results. ;)
    <center></center>

Comment

I agree :o

Comment

so you think the wbk38s would work if they had thermal paste on them?? I shouldn't worry about the sk6? How exactly would I go about lapping the heatsink? Just get everything off, and make sure it is smooth??

Comment

First get some Arctic Silver II paste.

Second get some Wet + Dry (240) + ( 360) grade sandpaper and
          sand the bottom of your HS til mirror finish ( finish with polish if needed )

Third aply some ASII paste to the cPU die smooth with a Razor Blade and attach the HSF

Hope this helps

Comment

Helps a lot. I just ordered some artic Silver II. It will take 3-4 days to get here. Too bad I am building my other 1.4 tomorrow. I don't know if I can wait! Thanks man. Laters.

Comment

You should see a big drop in cpu temp with the thermal paste. The tape is just there to keep your cpu from frying upon boot up. :) Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by volton

Second get some Wet + Dry (240) + ( 360) grade sandpaper and
                sand the bottom of your HS til mirror finish ( finish with polish if needed )
                Why would you want to use polish? Wouldn't that actually fill in the spaces that you want the Artic Silver fill. I don't think the heat transfer properties of polish would be nearly as good as the AS.
                Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

The weirdest thing. I just built this other 1.4..with a globalwin wbk38 cooler on it, and it is running about 30-40 degrees idle. It's not getting hot. Why is this one not getting hot, and the other is cooking?? Thanks. My arctic silver will be in Wednesday.

Comment

Sounds like the thermistor may be bad.
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

How exactly would I be able to tell if that was what was out?? How would I fix it if it was? Is it just registering the temp wrong, or is actually getting hot?

Comment

with the temp diff u r reporting u should be able to feel the difference (just touch the heatsink - be careful 70'c is very hot)

my cpu temp underload is 45'c

I've invested in some new case fans, case mods to get the temp down to that
                        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

You might also think about getting an actual thermal probe to see how high the temperatures actually are. You can pick up a low-end probe (like the Compu-Nurse) for very little.
                          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                          My Toys

Comment

I can tell the difference, but I don't think it is 70 degrees C. My other 1.4..sits at 32'c. I will lap this heat sink and put some artic silver and see what that does..Next would be compu-nurse or digi-doc..then I will be looking at case fans...2x80...either 2x120 or 2x92..don't know yet.

Comment

Are you usin for the rest of the computers the same heatsink?

Comment

Working...
                              X