IBM GXP Problems: The Truth Exposed and Possible Fixes (arti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM GXP Problems: The Truth Exposed and Possible Fixes (arti

Here you can discuss this article which was posted on TweakTown!

I have a 60GXP 40gig

Cant say i didnt know the problems with them, but back when i got it i was told they arent as serious as the 75gxp models. anyway, as soon as i get home,,, my 2 80mm fans shall be cooling me hdd asap.

ah crap, 'cuse the spelliong and repeated wordss. vnc'ing from linux to a windows box and everything is laggy

sorry to hear of your loss mr tweak. hopefuuly same wont happen to mine. Beinngg a glass platter model im hoping it wont

Comment

I recommend everyone do just that!

Comment

as i said to wilmot, my drive ran flawllessly (45Gb 75gxp) for over a year, sitting behind 2x80mm fans...

what killed it u ask? 2 hours in standard desktop case. nuff said.

i think the fact it can fall over at any time is most annoying, as i was using smart monitoring software on the drives and all (meant to detect drive errors before they go critical) and it still got me by surprise, i think this just highlights the importance of a true backup system.

Comment

A very good article there Tweak. :thumb:

Comment

Thanks Wiggo - Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Comment

In case you missed it, here is the link:

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...rticle&dId=180

Comment

great article cam, I sure found it interesting :)

Comment

Excellent article. The cooling issue has been a key point when ever i'm tt someone about HD's wether or not in Rd. I started with HD fans on all the HD we build in to any rig, and recently got to mounting all hard drives behind the front case fans. For those people that don't have full 3.5 hidden drive cage cases, I recommend the Evercase hd cage accessory.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1470&DEPA=1

They maybe calling it a HD bracket? Anyway, it's a cheap, neat solution. fyi,

Comment

good article tweak

my 60 gig 60gxp still died even tho i have a have very good cooling on it ( a review of it here over at ocau )
                    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

It seems to me that the problem of IBM drives is HIGHLY exaggerated. Contact the companies which service IBM drives and ask for statistics. I have seen such statistics and they show that IBM drives (including 75GXP) are one of the most reliable! The return rate is around 3-4%. E.g. return rate for some of WD drives is as much as 10%, but nobody cries out about problems with WD drives!

I suppose, this is the answer why IBM does not react anyhow to the "problems" with their drives - they know the statistics that their drives are in fact better.

Comment

You will actually find all manufacturers have return rates of less than 3%. I have tried over the past 5 years all brands of hard drives, and the only brand which has not failed on me is Western Digital. Even when Western Digital realised they had drives that would fail (due to a faulty semiconductor provided by a 3rd party), they RECALLED them - IBM seems to be standing in a corner with their fingers in their ears pretending not to listen.

My main supplier has almost totally stopped selling IBM drives due to the absurdly high failure rate. And recently, my college purchased 40 WD drives and 40 IBM - after 6 months about 50% of the IBM drives have gone bad as opposed to only 2 WD drives (students aren't always the most careful around hardware) ;)

So the article is warranted - it's a big problem :shoot2:
                        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Please do look here: http://www.almer.ru/information/news.htm#1611. This page is in Russian, but you can see model numbers and the corresponding failure rate. This information was collected during almost 2 years. The average failure rate is around 3%, failure rate for 75GXP is a bit higher - 3.9%, failure rate for 60GXP is very low - 1.8%.

I am sorry for incorrect information about WD - high figures were for Seagate (WD not present). But I have information about WD drives directly from people who service them, and they do not recommend WD because they are unreliable.

The "problem" with 75GXP drives is easily explainable. The drives were very popular, and when millions are sold, even 3-4% failure rate gives a considerable number of enraged customers, who had some problems.

Comment

That sounds startlingly like the comments made from Big Blue themselves not too long ago.

I have found that when a problem like this crops up within the tech community, then it is warranted. Not that the tech community is perfect, but we buy enough of the high-end products to know first hand whether or not the stories are true.

I, myself am getting ready to delve into a 60GXP drive to determine whether or not it has died. I am currently running on a backup drive (non-IBM) and can only hope that the data on the Deskstar is recoverable... and I have had cooling on mine since the day it was installed.

I am thinking that it may be time to investigate the Seagate Barracuda drives for a while. IBM normally has a decent product, but when they take a stance of ignoring this problem, then maybe it's time to take my business elsewhere. Remember the Kenwood True-X drives? :shoot2:
                            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                            My Toys

Comment

My 75GXP lasted almost a year, but last week died. Clicks of death are the only thing left, it can do. I guess I'll RMA it back to IBM. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X