PDA

View Full Version : freezing computer

PaPaPuffALot
02-14-2002, 06:38 PM
hello all was thinking of cooling my new computer by throwing it in to my small frezzer

but then was thinking of the moisture that would build up

well then i had a idea what if i sealed the whole inside of the computer (MN cpu vidcard sound card everything electrical) with sillicone to stop the condinsation

but i have a few questions what is the coldest the cpu should get and would it be posible to do this and has anyone seen anything about some thing like this?

Mr. C
02-14-2002, 07:08 PM
Dude:eek:
Your in Minnesota, just open a window:cackle:

Sounds like you must have serious problems with your rig, what's up?

RDR
02-14-2002, 08:40 PM
hello all was thinking of cooling my new computer by throwing it in to my small frezzer

but then was thinking of the moisture that would build up

well then i had a idea what if i sealed the whole inside of the computer (MN cpu vidcard sound card everything electrical) with sillicone to stop the condinsation

but i have a few questions what is the coldest the cpu should get and would it be posible to do this and has anyone seen anything about some thing like this?

you would need dry air inside of the PC case as well or condensation/frost would form inside your case as the temps dropped. :uhh:

ne0z
02-14-2002, 11:37 PM
I saw an article a long time ago on www.fast-mhz.com talking abour that they made it work. I think I may have printed it lemme see if I can find it.

zeradul
02-15-2002, 02:51 AM
LOL!!

Do you guys understand anything about condensation?

Think about this.... What does water condense on??? Answer: Things COLDER than the surroundings... So if a computer was to be placed inside a freezer WHERE would the water condense?? Thats right, the inside edges of the freezer. NOT the computer.

OF course that is ASSUMING that the computer is on as you put it in the freezer, to let the fans adequatly circulate the air through itself (letting the moisture out to condense on the sides of the freezer). If it was NOT turned on, then the SLIGHT amount of moisture in the air IN the case would condense on the INSIDE edges OF the CASE because the freezer would cool the sides of the case down First.

Simple solution to THAT is to have the sides of your case off. I guarantee NO CONDENSING would take place on ANY of the components of your computer. WHY WOULD IT? Compared to the sides of the freezer, the computer is HOT, and what do hot things do... NOT condense water.

The only problem you might run into is some of your computer components not being used to the temp. Your processor will be fine, haven't you seen those crazy OC'ers who double thier clock speed with liquid Nitrogen??

If your hard drives and other components can handle the low temperature, you'll be fine. And I really think everything will work fine at low temps)

-----

If you take your sides off the computer, start up your computer, and open your CD drives....close the freezer and let the system sit for a half hour, I GUARRANTEE that you will not see any condensation problems. After the half hour, you can put the sides back on, close the drives and use the computer normally.

RDR
02-15-2002, 03:35 AM
what you're saying is correct - provided that you never turn your PC off
then frost would form on the components just like everything else in the freezer - and when you turn it back on - nice wet computer.

PaPaPuffALot
02-15-2002, 07:08 AM
well first off the frezer does not have any ice in it at all and has been running for months no frost at all

second of all the computer would be on all the time like it is now

and with silliconing everything even if there saw alittle bit of condation it would not effect it realy??

the only thing that i think i would have to worry about it the power suply cant get in there and sillicone that

everything else i could do right?

like the HD i could seal that whole thing right and not worry??

i know i could do all the other componets with out a problem

the michine would probly not have a cd or floppy drive less opening and closing of the frezzer

means less condation right?

also were can i find the temp specs of these componets?

should it say it on the box?

or some thing??

and does anyone know were i caould pick up a desent temp sencer?

PaPaPuffALot
02-15-2002, 07:12 AM
well if i was to turn it off i would probly take it out of the frezzer right??? then when i turned it back on i would repeat the prosses spoke above?

zeradul
02-15-2002, 08:57 AM
I disagree RDR....

We are assuming you aren't using the freezer for Food. That means that no additional foreign objects enter the freezer and are allowed to sit and cool (evaporate liquid) which is the cause of your sentance "frost would form on the components just like everything else in the freezer"

Think about this RDR... What happens to the humity during winter up by you in Canada...? Even if its 100% humidity on a cold day, there still is almost NO WATER in the air (comparted to a humid summer day) Do you see what I'm saying? If on a 100% humidity summer day there is a gallon of water in X amount of volume of air, in that same volume of air on a cold day when it is determined to be 100% humidity, there may only be a DROP in that amount of air.

What this means is that inside a freezer, if everything is cold (below freezing or close to...) there is almost NO water dissolved into the air. Extremely small amount. so little in fact that you could not see visible condensation on ANYTHING you put in it.

"But then why is there frost build up on my 8 month old Frozen pizza"

Thats caused by warm moist things (or air) being added to the freezer, which puts moisture into the air of the freezer which then looks for something cold to freeze to, and look a cold pizza right there to freeze onto... Voila.

------

So in conclusion if you do as I instructed in my first post, and don't have anything else in the freezer, you have Nothing to worry about, no condensation will occur on any part of your computer.

AND even if you do want to keep other stuff in your freezer (while its turned off) you CAN safely do so as long as you have the sides on your computer... Since the fans inside your computer are OFF when your computer is OFF, no circulation takes place which doesn't let any airborn moisture from getting inside your computer, which of course means it can't condense on your components.

zeradul
02-15-2002, 08:59 AM
Of course, removing your computer from a freezer, straight into a room temerature room WOULD cause condensation to happen. Which means you would just have to let it sit unplugged for a better part of a day to be safe until any condesation evaporates on its own.

ne0z
02-15-2002, 10:55 AM
something to think about if you have an old freezer you are planning on using is consider water cooling and place your radiator and pump, etc... in the freezer. Seal it and run the hose to the inside of the computer. That would work out great

PaPaPuffALot
02-15-2002, 03:43 PM
you know i was thinking about that to i thik the water cooling would be safer then throwing the whole thing in the freezer.

deffently some thing to thik about

RDR
02-15-2002, 08:57 PM
I disagree RDR....

We are assuming you aren't using the freezer for Food. That means that no additional foreign objects enter the freezer and are allowed to sit and cool (evaporate liquid) which is the cause of your sentance "frost would form on the components just like everything else in the freezer"

Think about this RDR... What happens to the humity during winter up by you in Canada...? Even if its 100% humidity on a cold day, there still is almost NO WATER in the air (comparted to a humid summer day) Do you see what I'm saying? If on a 100% humidity summer day there is a gallon of water in X amount of volume of air, in that same volume of air on a cold day when it is determined to be 100% humidity, there may only be a DROP in that amount of air.

What this means is that inside a freezer, if everything is cold (below freezing or close to...) there is almost NO water dissolved into the air. Extremely small amount. so little in fact that you could not see visible condensation on ANYTHING you put in it.

"But then why is there frost build up on my 8 month old Frozen pizza"

Thats caused by warm moist things (or air) being added to the freezer, which puts moisture into the air of the freezer which then looks for something cold to freeze to, and look a cold pizza right there to freeze onto... Voila.

------

So in conclusion if you do as I instructed in my first post, and don't have anything else in the freezer, you have Nothing to worry about, no condensation will occur on any part of your computer.

AND even if you do want to keep other stuff in your freezer (while its turned off) you CAN safely do so as long as you have the sides on your computer... Since the fans inside your computer are OFF when your computer is OFF, no circulation takes place which doesn't let any airborn moisture from getting inside your computer, which of course means it can't condense on your components.

Sublimation and recrystallization occurs continuously in an undisturbed freezer - albeit at a very slow rate. This is one of the causes of (progressive) freezer burn.

Anything inside of a freezer, which is allowed to fall to the ambient temp will have some amount of frost form on it.

the air inside of a freezer does not have zero humidity.

something tells me niether of use will convince the other...:cheers:

zeradul
02-15-2002, 11:39 PM
Anything inside of a freezer, which is allowed to fall to the ambient temp will have some amount of frost form on it.Correct, but you've got 2 things working for you Here...

*As long as you don't leave your computer in a freezer Unused for Months on end, (use it at least once every few days), there will not be enough time for a detremental amount of frost to build up. (the TINY TINY amount will evaporate off even after a few minutes of use.)

*If you have your case sides on when you shut it off, no circulation will take place allowing any airborn humidity to get inside your computer, much less form frost on your components.

the air inside of a freezer does not have zero humidity I did not say that. What I said was, at low temperatures, 100% humidity can be achieved with a TINY TINY amount of water. 100% humidity is a state in which the air is holding the absolute MOST moisture it can possibly hold without forming rain, fog, or snow. Of course this means, that the transfer of frost into airborn gas, and then the forming of frost elsewhere in an equally cold evironment (sublimation, disublimation), is VERY slow, and thus as long as you don't leave the computer OFF in a freezer for weeks at a time, you will not have a problem.

----------

Neoz, and Puff Alot... Putting your radiator in a freezer would cause MONSTER problems. Fist of all you would need to add antifreeze... (duh) hehe

Second of all, the tubes, sinks, and everything that touches the cold antifreeze, would become cold, (just like a can of pop) and start condensing water, which would then drip onto your components.

BUT if you wanted to put your radiator into a -not very cold- refrigerator, that WOULD be ok, as long as you monitored the sinks so that they didn't start condesing water... there is a fine line here, depending on room temp, and humidity, and temp of the water, it will require a constant tweak job, or at least a watchful eye.

PaPaPuffALot
02-16-2002, 02:56 AM
well like i said before this little frezzer has been running for months with the same empty box sitting in it just as long and theres not a shread of frost any were

and the computer will be left on all the time

24/7

so after listening to everyone so far im sure that after sealing everything in sillicone

I would place it in the frezzer running and warm? with out the sides on?

after it ran for a while i would put the sides on ??

and leave it

when i was ready to turn it off for good unpluge the computer take it out open it up and let it set for a day

sound correct?

and does anyone know were i can buy temp sencors?????

zeradul
02-16-2002, 03:24 AM
OK, well if you are never going to turn it off, then you really have not much to worry about...

Turn it off, disconnect the cables, set it in the freezer, set up your cables how you want, and try not to have them exiting the freezer in such a way that would prop the freezer lid open AT ALL... Turn your computer on, open the CD-ROM drives, and let it sit...

DO NOT open the freezer lid if you don't have to. ESPECIALLY if you don't have Air conditioning on a humid day in the summer.

AND IF you ever go to take your computer OUT of the freezer you will have to LET IT SIT for a while, I would say 8 hours at least without turning it on.

AND you don't need ANY Silicone !!! Where do you think you would put it and what purpose do you think it would serve????

PaPaPuffALot
02-16-2002, 08:24 AM
well in the thred that i read here cant find it title thats a overkill

he used a none conductent silicone and sealed aroung the cpu case on the M/B why couldent i do that to the who inside of the computer? to prevent any moisture to build up on expoised componets and i would do every thing i would not have to worry about the heat building up in the componets cuz it will be in the freezer

ive see hot glue on M/B before and does not damange

not to sure about the conductivity of it though

and silicone peels off easy

was thinking of this to make sure i dont damage my system

while over clocking it

by the way does anything about overclocking the dual athlon mp ??

thats what my next system is going to be i think throw a dual 1.8 in a frezzer and over clock the **** out of it

what do you think?

PaPaPuffALot
02-18-2002, 02:53 PM
i'll let you all know how it went after ive done it maby not on my best first but on some thing crappy just to make sure
lol:grenade: :grenade: :grenade: :grenade: :grenade: :grenade: :grenade: :grenade: :grenade: :grenade: :grenade:

Albinus
02-18-2002, 02:57 PM
I would be interested to see how it goes... 486 anyone? ;)

zeradul
02-19-2002, 05:30 AM
Heres another idea I had that will keep your freezer from wearing itself out.

Get some 2 liter bottles or milk jugs, and fill them with Water and freeze them before you put your computer in the freezer. Here's why...

See a freezer turns itself on when the temperature reaches a certain 'high' temperature. Then it cools the contents down and turns itself off at a certain 'low' temperature. Turning itself on and off is the most detremental thing a freezer, refrigerator, or air conditioner does.

And if all you have in your freezer is your computer, air and the inside walls of the freezer, there is almost NO 'thermal mass' Which means that the contents don't take hardly any time to cool down, and then almost no time to warm back up. This will cause your freezer to kick on and off constantly, and it will wear itself out FAST. (One month at the absolute longest)

WATER has extremely high thermal mass, and so when you have a whole bunch of it frozen within your freezer, it will ease the load on the freezer by allowing the cooling cycles to last alot longer.

The freezer will be removing the same amount of heat of course, but like I said, it is a hell of alot easier on the freezer to cycle on 3 times an hour and run for 10 min, than having to cycle on 15 times, at 3 minutes per cycle.

Anonymous
03-04-2002, 12:55 AM
I don't understand why you would seal the MB in *anything*. Wouldn't that just insulate the component?

And, as far as condensation and computer being off and such, so what if it does develop condensation? The amounts will be trivial and, nearly non-existant if the computer remains on most of the time.

What's the concern? Puddling? If you're worried about puddling, just mount the MB at an angle in the freezer. Any sweat that does form during off periods will be vaporized moments after restarting the computer as long as we're not talking about months and months of downtime.

And, even if it does hasten the deteriation of computer parts, what's the big deal? These things are obsolete the instant you buy them, anyway. No matter what speed machine you get today, the only reason you didn't get a faster one is because you couldn't justify the expense of the next faster one. Otherwise, we'd all have cyro-cased supercomputers.

That said, there's a fairly good chance that you'll be upgrading the majority of the hardware within the next 24 months, even if just to keep up with the jones'.

However, how are you going to keep the freezer sealed? I expect that you're about to have to drill the freezer and run the required cables through those holes. In order to seal them, you may end up making your monitor, mouse, and keyboard permanant fixtures into your new computer case.

So, my risk assessment so far is:
Condensation won't cause puddles if the MB is mounted in such a way that any water always has a way to roll off the edge.
Condensation won't happen that much anyway, in a closed freezer.
Even if it does, so what?
Be happy with your monitor, keyboard, and mouse before permanently affixing them to the freezer.

Jeff...

PaPaPuffALot
03-04-2002, 02:34 PM
well i hae defetly desided to do it in about 6 months im going to buy new everything goig to spend aout 3500 not including moniter im hoping that amd will break the 2.0gig mark on the mp series and the over clock the dual athlons at the same time im going to buy a cam. so i show the over clock speeds.

and yes the computer would stay on 24-7-365

modmadmike
07-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey... guys if you dont want humidity which causes condensation, just put a humidity absorbing product in it such as damprid. :facelick::facelick:

orangutang91
07-28-2006, 08:04 AM
There is a case that is like an AC; Sytrin nextherm. It uses TEC to send cold air into the case interior. Is that cold enough?

PrairieDawg
07-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Look at the post dates you guys! Not including the last two posts this thread died in March of 2002!

orangutang91
07-28-2006, 08:46 AM
oh, I was wondering why I never saw this thread before.