system crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• system crashing

i got a elitegroup mother board not sure if its that thats makin my comp crash or my hard drive it keeps makin clicking sounds and crashs and asks for boot disc then its almost like it cant find the ****in hard drive and i restart and restart and then it starts but then starts to make clicking sounds again what do i do buy a new mother board or buy a new hard drive?

Man, back up all your data ASAP, your hard drive could completely go anytime. It is definately your hard drive. Its going down the hole. What type is it anyway?

Comment

What kind of HDD do you have? it sounds like you're HDD is toast...that is the click of death that you are hearing
      like amd_man2003 said, backup whatever you can while you still can

while those CDs are buring you might want to check to see if your warranty is still good, if not you'll be shopping for a new HDD real soon

Comment

Hooking up your HDD to another machine to back up data can server two purposes. Backin up the data.lol Also can tell ya if it's going bad by how it runs on the other comp. If it's a name brand. Then most companys have diagnostic app's. Check there home page.

Comment

its a fujitsu hard drive and when ever i reboot the mother board cant find the hard drive and i tryin to talk to my dad about it but hes to much of a dumbass to understand what i am sayin

well i am going to get a new hard drive tomorrow any idea's on what kind of hard drive i should get?

any tips will help lol just wanna get like a 80gb hard drive would be good and new ati 9800 128ram video card :P

Comment

Get a Wester Digital 800JB as its got 80gigs of space, and an 8meg cache

Comment

maxtor carries a 8 MB cache drive now too, so go with whichever you can get the best deal on...but I personally prefer Western Digital over Maxtor

btw, don't let any ads about ata133 fool you, an 8 MB cache is much more beneficial to your HDD performance

just look for this when shopping for a new HDD:

ata 100/133 (sata if your mobo supports it)
              8 MB cache
              7200 RPM (10,000 if you can afford it)
              low seek time

anything I'm forgetting here?

Comment

at least a 1yr warranty.....preferably 3

Comment

i just got a maxtor hard drive 80gb 8mb 7200rpm but i got windows 98 on it and i cant get on the fukin net and its driving me insane is there any way to send the data on this hard drive to the new one?

Comment

burn lots and lots of CD :D

or hook up a new HDD as secondary, create a seperate partition on it and drag over whatever you want to keep

Comment

Your best bet is to get a program called Symantec Ghost. Its comes with Symantec Systemworks. U can use this software to copy over the complete contents of the drive including the OS and have it boot still. It will copy over partition information and resize depending on the difference in size of the new drive. It is also a very intelligent program in that it is able to copy over the data from dying drives a lot of the time.

BTW, every fijutsu drive I have seen has gone the way of the magnet cemetary, IE, they die and get their magnets torn out and then they are pitched. Definetly see why fujitsu got out of the Desktop IDE market.

Comment

If the maxtor drive works in it. Hook them both up and run POWERMAX it'll diagnos the Fijutsu as long as there's a maxtor drive on in the system. Probably is going bad as Fijutsu's are IMO POS.

Comment

ya i cant seem to get the win 98 on the net fukin out of date peice of crap windows **** i hate windows 98 lol drive any man insane.
                          think ill just get windows xp pro again for it need to find someone with a disc tho lol

well cya laters all thanks for the help. :P

:cheers:

Comment

How are you posting then? Powermax fits on a foppy, cause you need to boot from that floppy. So any machine with internet would do.

Comment

lol got windows xp home now and new hard drive working and it dont crash or freeze anymore thank god but i still wanna buy 2 more 512 ram sticks lol

well thanks for all the help guys.

:cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X