IBM in new memory push - MRAM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM in new memory push - MRAM!

IBM and German chip maker Infineon Technologies AG on Tuesday said they made an important step towards developing a new kind of memory that could enable computers to boot up instantaneously.

IBM said that the magnetic random access memory technology, or MRAM, could replace existing forms of dynamic random access memory, or DRAM - which is the most popular form of computer memory - as early as 2005.

But it also acts as so-called "flash" memory and retains information when power is turned off, which means that it could replace flash memory, as well. With MRAM, a personal computer could turn on almost immediately, like a light switch, IBM said.
    Unlike current versions of computer memory found in everything from PCs to handheld computers, MRAM uses magnetic charges rather than electrical charges to memory.

The move comes as the industry is looking for better ways to make handheld computers and cell phones so that they can handle data more efficiently, one analyst said. Handheld computers and cell phones have been taking on new functions as the telecommunications systems that carry data have improved.

"I thing everyone in the industry is desperate for a universal memory technology that can meet all the challenges that all the various types of memory do today," said analyst Richard Gordon.
    IBM, of Armonk, New York, has been working on developing MRAM since the 1970s and continued that research even after it exited the business of making memory chips. It said it hopes to have some demo products that use the chips out next year.

"It really demonstrates that there is technical feasibility. We can get the performance, we can get the cell size," said Randy Isaac, vice president of strategic alliances at IBM. IBM's memory cell is 1.4 microns, or about 20 million times smaller than the top of a pencil eraser.

Source: Reuters, June 9, 2003
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Really we need a better technology to take over from our current hard drives (SATA and SATAII won't do it with current HDD technology even off the PCI bus) as this is the real bottleneck of modern PC technology. Faster memory in nice but....

Comment

I do agree with Wiggo on the idea we need a new hard drive, as it is the major bottleneck, as with the entire PCI bus really, IMO

Comment

If this new memory retains information even when turned off, couldn't it someday replace hard drives?

Comment

Originally posted by Bithmus
          If this new memory retains information even when turned off, couldn't it someday replace hard drives?
          Good point, but I may be mistaken in thinking this, wouldnt it be sorta like your CMOS and by taking a battery out or moving a jumper, it clears all the info that was saved. For some reason, it seems like that would happen

But now that i reread this I see its magnetic, my bad

Comment

one example of flash memory is a sim card in ur mobile so it won't be losing data, you can be sure of that but i doubt it will ever replace the hard disks. it will be too costly and might not be feasible but then you can't say anything.
            Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            jabber : [email protected]
            =======================
            Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

It has always seemed to me that some sort of memory would take over for hard drives. No moving parts to worry about and a lot faster.
              HDs were really expensive and small not to long ago.
              I would prefer to have a 20GB MemoryHD over a 300GB traditional HD. I don't need the space, and speed and stability would be great. Even the size would probably be tiny.

Comment

I read an article about Fluorescent CD's & HDD's...I can't remember where, I'll try to find it.
                A CD could hold 140Gb of data.
                The HDD would use multiple platters and have a very high access speed.
                I'll try to find it !
                SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Working...
                X