PDA

View Full Version : booting prob

druid
06-13-2003, 05:03 AM
hi everyone i hope u can help me i just bought an

asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo and an amd 2.8 i i have it in an atx case now the prob

i have aled lighton mobo but it will not power up i have followed the set up as directeed in the manual but no joy plzz help

minibubba
06-13-2003, 05:25 AM
make sure the PSU is plugged into the surge protector/upc

make sure the switch on the psu is fliped to 1 (if there is one)

make sure the psu is plugged into the mobo

druid
06-13-2003, 05:31 AM
ok im not uptodate on the abbreviations

what is psu:(

minibubba
06-13-2003, 05:36 AM
PSU = the Power Supply Unit

it's the big metal box with a fan that supplies DC electricity to your computer

druid
06-13-2003, 05:42 AM
doh...

thx

i dont have a switch to flick and yes i have plugged it in to my surge protector and yes i have plugged in the mobo

the green pwr led lights on the mobo

minibubba
06-13-2003, 05:45 AM
i realise this is a dumb question, but is the surge protecter pluged into the wall?

druid
06-13-2003, 05:48 AM
yes as it goesmy usb hubs lit up like a xmas tree

minibubba
06-13-2003, 05:50 AM
ok then we need some more details,...

does the computer boot and the led just not light up?

any beeps from the computer?

noises, ext, ext...

druid
06-13-2003, 05:58 AM
theres no beeps ,no no fan spinning, the only thing that made a noise was the fan on me graphics card, which i took out thinking
id try it without any thing connected to the board other than the memory and cpu and fan.

its driveing me mad as u can imagine now the other thing is
[btw im in the uk]i have a n atx case the power supply is a 300w max coulld this be the problem

minibubba
06-13-2003, 06:06 AM
make sure you have everything plugged in correctly, that includes the cpu, hsf, ram, and video card...just the necessities to boot

the comp does require a video card in place to boot, but that's not where you're probem lies I'm sure

just make sure that everything necessary is plugged in correctly

I just feel like there is something somewhere that is not plugged in or connected right

if you have a PSU that you know is working right, you might want to try using it...just in case you have a faulty PSU

druid
06-13-2003, 06:23 AM
ok ive done all the above and there is another noise when i listen closely its and it s coming from me psu just a small click

thx for your help btw on this:cantfocus

minibubba
06-13-2003, 06:31 AM
thx for your help btw on this:cantfocus no problem, I just wish i could give you a simple answer to solve this

try to swap out the PSU for a different one, even if you have to borrow one from another working computer

if the computer you're making these posts with isn't a laptop, then perhaps you could strip the psu from it just long enough to see if your PSU is the culprit

you can also check the voltages if you have a multimeter available

druid
06-13-2003, 06:39 AM
ok its not a lap top

the only working pc is this one and its and old atx with 125watts max. i have not got a multimeter available at this time

would it be safe enough to plug this old boilller of a psu
in as its my only means of getting on the net looking for help
and 125 watts max

minibubba
06-13-2003, 06:53 AM
no, if it's 125w you should just leave it where it is

unless you have a mulitmeter or a spare PSU I can't really think of another way to test your PSU

hopefully someone else will see this and think of something else...at this point, if it's not the PSU or a bad Mother Board I don't know what it would be

druid
06-13-2003, 06:58 AM
thx for trying to help me m8y . i have a bald spot from scratching my head lol

minibubba
06-13-2003, 07:04 AM
lol, been there a few times :)

good luck to you, hope you get it fixed without loseing to much hair ;)

VinnieVen
06-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Try removing everything form the system including the mobo and PSU. Take everything off the mobo and remove it from the case. Remove all the PCI cards, IDE drives, video, RAM and leave only the CPU with heatsink attached, and plug in the PSU. Does this give u any beeping?

If not, then remove your Heatsink and try re-seating the CPU, then replace the Heatsink and do this all over again. Make sure the fan for the heatsink is plugged in as well.

If it does, then plug in components startion with the RAM, then Video to see if the beeping stops and if the unit will post.

If there are no components plugged into the mobo with the exception of the CPU then u should be getting a bunch of anoying beeps telling you something is screwed.

druid
06-14-2003, 03:16 AM
got that soughted me m8 popped round the psu was dead as a dodo

minibubba
06-14-2003, 03:38 AM
so it was the PSU afterall? glad to know what the problem was :)