PDA

View Full Version : [email protected] TT Team Goal

kane2g
06-20-2003, 10:01 AM
OK, I think we came up with 75K as the goal for the team to reach at the end of the year.
Do you think we maybe should raise/lower it? and if so to what ?
just wondering what every1 thinks were going to be at the end of the year.

Dyck15
06-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Seems like a realistic goal.. most of them on the team now are pretty active and we should gain some more as the year concludes. If anything maybe 70k may look better.

elrado1
06-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Right now we're on track for over 80K. So, I'm going to go out on a limb and say 85K. Definitely!

Wiggo
06-20-2003, 01:05 PM
I'd leave it where it is atm just in case of any unforseen circumstances but we could do a re-evaluation in September/October. :beer:

[Edit] Sorry but I changed the title a bit incase ppl got the wrong idea about the thread. ;)

amd_man2005
06-20-2003, 01:07 PM
Id say 80k, but if get my school to run it, we will be well over 100k

Dyck15
06-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Great idea man.. i may look into getting some computers in my school running it.. once I become friends with the new techs next year.

amd_man2005
06-20-2003, 01:12 PM
Great idea man.. i may look into getting some computers in my school running it.. once I become friends with the new techs next year.

Actually kane2g suggested it to me. Considering im good friends with our Admininstrator, Its worh a shot. mmmm.....200pcs pumping out 4w/us aday each

Beefy
06-20-2003, 01:47 PM
While it's a nice idea, you've gotta be careful in a school situation because, chances are, it'll be against school policy or possibly breaching some other law. Don't want to sound negative, but I've seen techs get in a lot of trouble for running SETI clients and the like on educational PCs.

amd_man2005
06-20-2003, 01:51 PM
While it's a nice idea, you've gotta be careful in a school situation because, chances are, it'll be against school policy or possibly breaching some other law. Don't want to sound negative, but I've seen techs get in a lot of trouble for running SETI clients and the like on educational PCs.

Thanks for the heads up Beefy,

but imagine, passing our ulitmate cruncher Wiggo in 3weeks, at a rate of 6kw/us a week. But itll NEVER ahppen, unless i ummmmm :devil:

Dyck15
06-20-2003, 02:11 PM
I highly doubt I would be able to do it in my school but its worth a shot. I guess its almost like having lan parties after school hours.

kane2g
06-20-2003, 02:44 PM
Actually kane2g suggested it to me. Considering im good friends with our Admininstrator, Its worh a shot. mmmm.....200pcs pumping out 4w/us aday each
sure blame me!
but honestly if you put [email protected] on the machines w.o asking, they are going to figure it out pretty quickly, as the systems will log onto [email protected] servers every few hours, they will see that as a virus/trojan and check the systems. than they can get you in trouble in school, so i would strongly advise getting permission to run [email protected] clients.

Andy
06-20-2003, 03:45 PM

Thats why you stick it on a usb drive and run it from there :) ;)

Wiggo
06-20-2003, 10:26 PM
He could loose some USB drives that way. :laugh:

amd_man2005
06-20-2003, 10:36 PM
Hmmm, USB Drive, good idea, just wish they were a tad cheaper.

Just picked up a Paly 1900+ to go with my new $5 pcchips board

Wiggo
06-20-2003, 11:16 PM
M8 get a mobo with some decent memory performance. A KT266A based one (likely $10 2nd hand though a KT333 would be much better again) would wallop that POS. :devil win

amd_man2005
06-20-2003, 11:20 PM
I would, but its damn near impossible to pass up a brand new mobo for $5

kane2g
07-04-2003, 10:25 PM
well, just crunched some numbers and it looks like were going to reach 70k in 3mo or so. (92day prediction shows 28500 more WUs)
So the goal should be reached.
Do you think we'll hit 100K? or is it just a pipe dream?

Wiggo
07-05-2003, 08:14 AM
How about we see if we can get to 90K 1st? :?:

kane2g
07-05-2003, 10:19 AM
At the rate were going, it looks like we are going to be well into the 90s at the end of the year.

zeradul
07-07-2003, 02:32 AM
If you are on pace to hit 95 K by the end of the year, than a feasable goal with some difficulty to achieve would be a goal of 120K or 130K, or even 150K. This way you will have to recruit people and really 'work' to acheive the goal. A goal that you are on pace to hit already isn't much of a goal. :2cents:

elrado1
07-07-2003, 02:59 AM
So, zeradul, are you on the Team under a different name? If not, feel free to join. We would appreciate your contri's. :wave:

VinnieVen
07-07-2003, 03:10 AM
So, zeradul, are you on the Team under a different name? If not, feel free to join. We would appreciate your contri's. :wave:

he he.. thats the spirit...:laugh:

kane2g
07-07-2003, 03:26 AM
Personally, I dont like to sell people on anything.
If you want to - try it!
If you like it - stick with it!
I dont want to go and recruit members.

I just got a email from some1 who is giving some sob story about a little girl, wants every1 to join his [email protected] team. :blah:
Thats what i dont want this team to become.
:2cents:

VinnieVen
07-07-2003, 03:27 AM
more details on that little girl.. i dont see how seti is gonna do anything for a little girl

zeradul
07-08-2003, 01:59 AM
No, I don't participate in any distributed computing at this time. If I did, it would not be SETI, simply because the Dish's used to collect data are not powerful enough to catch anything as far as I know. The exceptions being some sort of ET Life in our own star system, OR some technology we know nothing about (a technology more capable of being sent through space) And remember, if we don't know of that technology, our dish's are unlikely to pick it up.

The Gigantic dish made out of the natural shape of the land is only capable of recieving a Cell Phone call from Jupiter (Source - History Channel, Modern Marvels). And Jupiter is just down the hall in galactic measurements. So lets say a really beefy TV signal, or Radio signal of some type is sent from the NEAREST star system. If you consider the ratio of how close Jupiter is, with the relative power of a Cell phone, and then compare how far away the nearest Star system is, and compare that with how BEEFY the broadcast would have to be, and you get a Broadcast requireing SO MUCH POWER that it exceeds anything mankind has accomplished by a factor of a million.

So here's an analogy: Our Dish's are barely capable of hearing a whisper in the same room, and now we are trying to hear whispers from Japan?

Now I don't want to start an arguement, nor am I an expert, and I am sure there are theories that have merit, but I'm just doing simple math, and with that said, it is not worth the wasted electricity (and therefore resources) (IMO) to be used on such a persuit.

And if I am mistaken on the proven capability of our technology, please post a link to a concise stat sheet of the technology involved. I am interested.

--------------------------------

With all of that said, participating in something like SETI can be fun if for no other reason than racking up points. I'm sure it gives a feeling of accomplishment, and that is rewarding.

----------

And I wasn't suggesting you mass spam people trying to find Seti participants, I'm just saying you could expand your attempts to get forumer's to join, and recruit like that. Maybe give out prizes or something to any new member who completes the most units in the month of Aug, or something. I was just saying that a goal that you are already on pace to hit isn't much of a goal.

kane2g
07-08-2003, 04:15 AM
vinnie, dont know something like she has something wrong with her or X months to live. It was Team Multi National which is going to pass us btw in few days. :rolleyes2

zeradul; thank you for making my point for me. If you got all these reasons why you dont want to join a team and crunch SETI, i dont want you to. I dont want to pressure or sell you on something that you have no interest in.
If you want to join, there is a link in my sig (as well as some other members here), so thats as much of a "advertising" i am willing to do.
It seems that after we put the links in the sigs, a lot more people decided to join, and not because we went out and recruited them, but they decided to give it a shot, some stuck with it, others did not. Its all in good fun.

zeradul
07-08-2003, 07:54 AM
Sounds good.

Dyck15
07-08-2003, 08:09 AM
I totally agree with ya kane. If people want it, they will come. If they dont, they wont come. Its all good.

Zeradul: What you said made me somewhat interested in this topic, and I think Ill go ahead and do some research on my own. Even if what you said is true, I still would likely stay with it just for that feeling of accomplishment:D :thumb:

zeradul
07-09-2003, 12:33 AM
And remember, I could be wrong, so keep me posted as to what you find. I am very interested to become more informed.

kane2g
07-09-2003, 03:37 AM
And remember, I could be wrong, so keep me posted as to what you find. I am very interested to become more informed.
I think you're completly wrong with the statements that you make, but I dont want to argue about it. Like I said before, if you dont want to do it, its OK. :thumb:

zeradul
07-09-2003, 04:05 AM
Ok thats fine, and I'm interested to see any info you come across.

Wiggo
07-09-2003, 06:40 AM
Well Arecibo can only focus on one point at a time and only cover about 33% of those stars that ppl get to see in the northern hemishere but, the radio dish at Parkes here in Australia should soon be online plus can cover almost 100% of the viewable stars in the southern hemishere with 13 focal points (and everyone should know that more stars can be seen down here than up north). :beer:

elrado1
07-09-2003, 11:00 AM
I did not know about there being more stars viewable from the southern hemisphere, thanks. At least I did not remember, if I did, since I did take quite a few classes in astronomy, both in High School and College. I do know about the 'Southern Cross,' but that's pretty much the extent of the Southern Hemisphere astronomy I can recall.

Regarding the signals that the SETI people are trying to pick up, it is a common misconseption that we are trying to detect a signal that is a single, specific transmission for, say communication. What we are most likely to detect is an aggregate of all of the high energy transmissions that are eminating from an entire planet. This would be like the television signals that have been eminating from the numerous broadcast stations around the Earth. At a great distance, these numerous individual signals will blend together and form a seemingly single transmission over a relatively narrow band of the RF frequency. Of course a signal like this weakens greatly over the distances they would travel to reach another planet in another solar system and you would need to speak to a Radio Telescope Astronomer to get an understanding of the reasoning behind the frequencies that are scanned and analyzed in the myriad ways that have been devised.

There is one other statement made above that is completely erroneous and I would like to straighten it out. The comment is: "The Gigantic dish made out of the natural shape of the land.." Whomever made that statement took no effort to research the facts. If you observe the extensive photo gallery that was recently provided on the [email protected] site, you can see that the reflective grid is formed of wire mesh that does not come in contact with the ground. It is supported by cables that are anchored to towers or other types of anchors at relatively few, key points.

Now, why anyone would waste their time reporting completely erroneous information, as I am sure most, if not all, of what was stated above is, is beyond me. And another thing, for someone to completely believe in, and diseminate, such complete bull**** as the truth, without delving into the matter on their own, is also inexcusable.

The more I think about the ignorance of the statements above and the complete arrogance of making a statement like "...if I am mistaken on the proven capability of our technology, please post a link to a concise stat sheet of the technology involved." The more completely dumbfounded I become.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not trying to start an argument. After all, I could be wrong!

(Gee, anyone out there old enough to have watched the sitcom 'Barny Miller?' In my opinion it was one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. You'd have to know about the character named Deitrickto know what I'm getting at.)

zeradul
07-10-2003, 01:27 AM
Well, first of all I was simply referring the dish, and you knew what I was referring to, and therefore how the device was constructed is irrelevant. Especially when the Arecibo Radio Telescope in Puerto Rico IS built into the earth. Two paragraphs on why I am ignorant because I made that mistake is ridiculous. Not to mention your assumption that I was touting my statements as facts, DESPITE multiple comments that I was not sure. I apparently hit a tender nerve, and I apologize.

Now here are the numbers to back up my post.

The nearest Star is 4.22 Light Years away which equals 40,000,000,000,000. (thatís 40 Trillion) Kilometers. That would take our FASTEST space probes sixty thousand years to travel this distance. Source: http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/stardist.html

The farthest we EVER are from Jupiter is 0.001 Light Years away. (same source) And if our best dish can pick up a cell phone signal from Jupiter, then we would be able to pick up a signal from the next nearest Star and it would only need to have a magnitude 4220 times that of a cell phone, if it was directly focused at us which is possible. However it if was being randomly broadcast in all directions, like our cell phones, radio and TV broadcasts are, then it would suffer from spherical expansion, and the rate of which is equivalent to 4 ◊ pi ◊r^2

So comparing Z will give us the ratio of how much more powerful a random signal would have to be. All distances in Light Years. And lets start with Jupiter.

Z = 4 * 3.14 * .01^2
Z = .001256

Now from the nearest Star

Z = 4 * 3.14 * 4.22^2
Z = 223.67

So lets compare the ratio of 223.67 : .001256
That ratio equals 178084 : 1

Meaning that for US to be able to clearly receive a randomly broadcast signal from the NEAREST Star system, it would need to originate with a signal strength 178,084 TIMES that of a cell phone. I think that is in the strength range of our TV broadcasts, but I'm not sure.

So there you have it, SETI is not a hoax, at least not when you consider our very nearest neighbors. We'll get anything directly broadcast towards us, if we are listening in the right direction.

There are only 227 systems within a radius of 32.6 light years, (source: http://joy.chara.gsu.edu/RECONS/TOP100.htm ) and most do not contain planets capable of supporting life as we know it.

And so at that distance, Z = 4 * 3.14 * 32.6^2 = 13348.26
Which gives us a ratio of 10,627,600 times the strength of a Cell phone. And that approaches the magnitude i sited in my previous post. And thats still only at 32.6 Light years away. The nearest Galaxy, the Andromeda Galaxy located at a distance of 2 million light years away, (source: http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/SaraLi.shtml ) and a signal from this distance would need to original at a strength equivalent of 50.2 Trillion times the strength of a cell phone, which I think you will agree is far more power than any broadcasts we have ever used. And that is once again, the nearest galaxy.

And so to keep things in perspective, the best we can do at this time is still only a tiny tiny tiny portion of our galaxy, much less the universe, but we have to start somewhere. Finding hard evidence of life would be a phenomenal discovery, so more power to ya.

CheeZmonZter
07-10-2003, 02:18 AM
I dont want to really get involved in this debate but I would like to point out that a cell phone only has .25watts of transmittion power. If you were to combine all of the cellphones in the world? hundreds of thousands of watts in Asia alone, then add on top of the the thousands of television Xmitters at about 50,000 watts, radio stations 50,000, Then step into the military RADAR range 500,000 watts (and that is not even the focused beam RADAR.) you would probably reach into the range described. and as Elrado pointed out over a great distance these radio stations (anything xmitting a signal) would blend together, Who knows..maybe the static space noise that we are listening to is actually a signal already we just dont know what it sounds like on the other end!

And if we were only able to hear a cell phone from Jupiter how have we been able to track and recieve data from the orbiters around Jupiter? :shrug: I think the statistics that are quoted are like all statistics...bend them, mold them, and shape em into whatcha want!

Edit...and that is just the US...I know for a fact that most other countries dont adhear to the power output recomendations of the FCC. and Some TV/Radio stations in Rural areas are allowed 100,000 watts of power, which is one reason I can hear radio from the east coast, well that and the ionosphere bouncing signals back down (SKIP)

kane2g
07-10-2003, 05:10 AM
LMAO.
Thanks Cheez as I was wondering how much power does a cell phone have as thats the only thing he didnt really say.

Wordbiker
07-10-2003, 02:33 PM
You got me thinking about and researching Jupiter Zeradul....Seems there's a lot of discrepancies in opinions regarding Jupiter's surface temperature, composition, gravitational pull, etc.....
I was wondering......would you go to Jupiter, give us a call on your cell phone and tell us what the weather's like? We'll be listening for ya at our computers.....:laugh:

CheeZmonZter
07-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Damn...Can you hear me now? good

zeradul
07-10-2003, 11:11 PM
Damn...Can you hear me now? good Haha, thats awesome.

kane2g
07-11-2003, 12:57 AM
ET phoned home and he didnt use a cell phone!
We can do it. :rofl:

elrado1
07-11-2003, 08:36 AM
We'd be better off visiting Ganymede or Europa Or some of Jupiter's other moons. They're a bit more interesting.

Can you hear me now? :?:

CheeZmonZter
07-11-2003, 11:23 AM
We'd be better off visiting Ganymede or Europa Or some of Jupiter's other moons. They're a bit more interesting.

Can you hear me now? :?:

Yes they would be...

Can you hear me now is a Verizon wireless add campaign, A guy walks everywhere, is holding a cell phone, and keeps asking into it "Can you hear me now?" "Good" then they go into their speal about how they have the largest most complete cell service in the country.

elrado1
07-12-2003, 02:13 AM
Yes, I know. They actually show those commercials here, too.

There are a few people in this part of Florida who have cell phones...

I was joining in the fray. :flames:

Dyck15
07-16-2003, 01:18 AM
Hey guys.. last time i checked, a radio wave cannot travel through space.. only microwaves can i think... So your theory about using all the radio stations trasmitters to talk to aliens or whatever is now gone out the window.

Wordbiker
07-16-2003, 02:53 AM
Hey guys.. last time i checked, a radio wave cannot travel through space.. only microwaves can i think... So your theory about using all the radio stations trasmitters to talk to aliens or whatever is now gone out the window.
Are you willing to put money on that? :D
Check this (http://newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99x19.htm) out....

CheeZmonZter
09-04-2003, 02:13 AM
I had forgotten all about the debate here, I guess Wordbiker kinda ended that one :shoot: so does anyone have a prediction for Xmass yet???

elrado1
09-04-2003, 02:29 AM
I'm in at 80K still.

Wiggo
09-04-2003, 07:17 AM
21 days b4 Xmas. :beer:

kane2g
09-04-2003, 11:22 AM
: gets a calculator:
from the Wiggos prediction I get that we come with less than 300 WUs a day. At the current pace we will have 98490 WUs at the end of the year!
Hopefully we will have more!

Wiggo
09-07-2003, 08:09 AM
The thing is that our average daily w/u count is slowly droppin' and is now down to 290 per day. :(

CheeZmonZter
09-07-2003, 10:16 AM
that's cause so many people are dropping out, just cant hang with the big boyos!!:cackle: :beer: :beer: :cheers: :beer:

elrado1
09-07-2003, 10:59 AM
The thing is that our average daily w/u count is slowly droppin' and is now down to 290 per day. :(
We've lost a bit due to Folding @ Home. High hitters to boot! :shrug:

Wordbiker
09-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Awwwww c'mon now guys....yer making me feel bad. :(

elrado1
09-07-2003, 11:11 AM
No worries M8. :cheers:

Wordbiker
09-07-2003, 11:13 AM
If it's any consolation, I'm kickin' patootie in Folding :devil win

waynebot
09-07-2003, 11:51 AM
me too :shoot:

:cheers:

Dyck15
09-07-2003, 01:26 PM
I dropped out of [email protected] for the time being because my fan is going on my pc and i dont wanna risk the extra processor stress untill i get a new fan. I will be back soon though.

Wordbiker
09-07-2003, 01:27 PM
Where do we send the fan?

kane2g
09-07-2003, 03:31 PM
[B] Cooling: OEM
Auch. maybe upgrading that would help.
:rolleyes2

Wiggo
09-07-2003, 07:19 PM
I'd say that if we make 90K by the end of the year we'd be lucky. :beer:

kane2g
09-08-2003, 01:19 AM
90K is no prob.
with almost every prediciton we habe, we are at like 89K in the first week on Dec.
I think we could do 100K if vinnieven had the same amount of WUs he was submitting when he started.
And if amd_man was crunching SETI instead of folding. along with some other people.
ahh well. I may be able to get few systems crunching at school. :devil:

kane2g
09-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Im kinda jealous of Wiggos 10K WU certificate, so I wondered if i get one this year.
124 days left. so i would have to pump out about 27WUs a day, which I can easly do! So Wiggo, you going to have some company in the 10K+ club
I think monZter will join before me, so i guess i will be the third one there.:)

Wiggo
09-08-2003, 08:12 PM
I hope to be close to my 20K certificate by then. :devil win

kane2g
09-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Well, we cant be all like you Wiggo.
But its still going to be fun joing the 5digit club :) (you going to be in that one for a while :P)

kane2g
09-12-2003, 10:10 PM
Hey Wiggo are we going to be having a beer at your house if we hit 100K this year?
: party ha : party ha : party ha

Wiggo
09-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Are ya's goin' to swim across the Pacific? :?:

kane2g
09-13-2003, 03:53 PM
For a taste of Wiggobeer. Absolutely.
:laugh: