logitech optical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• logitech optical

I got this Logitech optical mouse #bj69(not a joke). When installing the drivers for it, the wizard said using ps2 connection can impede the performance greatly. So i shut it down and plugged it into a usb port. Upon reboot, of course there was no mouse support and had to use the keyboard only until it recognized it (about 3 min later). Then after it was installed, I got the blue screen of death and reboot.
    Is there an advantage to usb over ps2 for this device. I do recall the wizard saying something about 800dpi or something like that.
    I have been using it for about a year on ps2 until now. It has not done the blue screen thing again.

Any suggestions?
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Originally posted by maximus7001
    #bj69(not a joke)
    :rofl: someone at logitech must have a rather sick sense of humor...

can you give us a link for this mouse? I'm afraid of what google will give me if i try a search for that^ :o

did you enable 'usb legacy' support in the BIOS?

I took a chance and tried to look it up on logitech's site, is this it?

if so, i think we have the same mouse. I have always used mine via usb but I have never installed logitech's software for it (i don't see the point, it's a simple mouse)...the winXP native logitech drivers work just fine; I've never had any problems with the mouse.

in fact, i've had problems with logitech's MouseWare in the past, useually with games...so if your bios checks out ok, you may want to consider unistalling MouseWare (if it is installed) and letting the native drivers load

Comment

Heres a link logitech . But its not direct, as that would be no fun. Type bj69 in the search at the top right and its the first hit. It makes no reference to the actual model number for apparent reasons. Just try it. And yes it is enabled. What would happen if not.
      asus a7n8xe-dlx
      bfg 6800gt
      samsung dvdrw
      mushkin 550w

DFI infinity nf4 ultra
      seagate sataII 500gb
      samsung sata dvd-rw
      2x1024 ocz black
      ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

i have that same mouse too and this thing sucks :
        it never worked properly as a USB mouse. it would jump around...stop functioning...change my single clicks into double clicks...in all a ****ing stupid thing :grr: :grr: :grr:

phew i m okk now...:p
        but seriously it never worked in USB port. though i never got any blue screens and i never had problems with getting it installed or getting it recognized.
        as soon as i attached it to USB port and restarted...XP installed the required drivers so that was never a problem but it never worked as a USB mouse. don't know why : omg:
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I still use my M$ optical mice in the PS2 ports even though they're USB capable but I've never seen that message before.

Comment

I'm dense as a post, true.
            Fact is, I've never understood why anyone would choose to use a mouse with a USB connection?

Just the fact that there would be no mouse available in Safe-Mode should be enough to make any reasonable-thinking person from using a USB port for an input device.

For me it's a simple equation;
            USB + any type of primary input device (ie. mouse &/or keyboard) = bad (ie. not a good idea)
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
              I still use my M$ optical mice in the PS2 ports even though they're USB capable but I've never seen that message before.
              May I ask why..:?: :)

Those are really nice, my optical Intellimices are awesome at fast fps gaming at 6000hz connected with usb. Cheap to, about $30 here atm.

Comment

Well, I have been playing games and other stuff since the switch. It is more accurate now. Maybe there is a better data transfer now.
                The driver I tried is logitech mouseware 9.76
                Before it was running on default m$ drivers. It still has not given me the blue screen/reboot again. The cord doesnt fall out anymore like it did with the usb to ps2 adapter since I got it.
                I guess it would suck in safe mode.
                asus a7n8xe-dlx
                bfg 6800gt
                samsung dvdrw
                mushkin 550w

DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                seagate sataII 500gb
                samsung sata dvd-rw
                2x1024 ocz black
                ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                  The__tweaker[/size]]
                  May I ask why..:?: :)

Those are really nice, my optical Intellimices are awesome at fast fps gaming at 6000hz connected with usb. Cheap to, about here atm.

For the same reasons as Mr. C stated in the post before and PS2 keyboards and mice have never givin' me any performance problems which I can't say the same for USB ones. I leave the USB ports for printers, scanners, cameras, external drives and such.

Comment

you can get freeware to adjust the sampling rate of a PS2 port.
                    for instance:
                    PS2rate - download the latest version for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 (32-bit and 64-bit). Allows you to change the PS/2 mouse sampling rate in Win9x from the ridiculously low 40Hz to up to 200Hz! Get PS2rate old versions and alternatives.

That will take it to 200hz, you got awesome input skills if 200,000 samples per second won't provide you with the speed and accuracy to play a game.
                    80hz is the default sampling rate on a stock PS2 port.
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Just the fact that there would be no mouse available in Safe-Mode should be enough to make any reasonable-thinking person from using a USB port for an input device.
                      The recent mobo's I have worked with have had 'Enable USB Mouse' and 'Enable USB Keyboard' And that allows such devices to work in the BIOS. I assume they also are supported in Safe Mode.

And why go to USB? Because USB is flexible enough, and so why not go to everything USB. USB Hubs are everywhere, case fronts, monitors, speakers, keyboards, etc. etc. I'm all for getting rid of proprietary connections.

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
                        I assume they also are supported in Safe Mode.
                        Nope.

Comment

Wow. That is a bummer. Well I guess I won't be getting rid of my pile of ps2 / USB convertors any time soon then.

Either way, I still use my mice in the USB port, because the newest of the opticals DO show improved performance/DPI when used as a USB device.

Comment

Well, if you persist in using USB for primary input devices, I'd definitely reccomend keeping 2 of those adaptors.

I don't think a whole pile is necessary though:geek:

Comment

Working...
                            X