Cool Intel vs AMD burn-up video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Intel vs AMD burn-up video

Have any of you seen this video from Tom's Hardware site. It shows that Intel's processors are well equipped to handle overheating while AMD's choke.

I don't know why AMD isn't doing the same and yet they continue to release new cpus.

sorry to burst your bubble, but this video is quite old
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

yes it is if you are talking about the one that shows them playing Quake III on a P4 with no HSF

Comment

Ah yes, in my book very old news indeed. :devil:

Comment

I've got some more old news if anyone's interested.

Comment

No thanx but why not keep up to date with the TT Web News instead. ;)

Comment

It is an old video but still it is cool!

Comment

What if I edit the video and upload it again. Would that make it a new video? Hmmm... It makes you wonder doesn't it.

Comment

That TomsHardware video copped alot of flak when AMD released their own video with totally different results. I never did get to download that vid AMD released, server was clogged for ages and I lost interest.

Anyway, all Athlon XP CPUs now have thermal diodes in them to prevent chernobyl. In an interesting twist, there were reports that the P4 chips would kick in with their 'slow-down' technology for no apparent reason.

Again, didnt look into this....damm i hate dialup. Miss out on all the good stuff. :(

Comment

I thought the thermal thing in AMDs were to be implemented on the mobo's - and as of yet NO motherboards on the market supports it.

And for the rumours of P4s throttling under "normal" use, it's probably because of poor case ventilation resulting in high temps and hence the CPU cuts back to save itself and its stupid owner.
                    Onyx

TweakTown
                    OCAU - Overclockers Australia
                    CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

OK - my view :)

The Athlon XP and MP (along with the "Morgan" stepping Durons) do have an integrated thermal diode, but it relies on the motherboard to prevent overheating. If the motherboard doesn't support the circuitry required - then the chip will cook itself.

The Pentium 4 is designed to "Clock Throttle" when it gets too hot. The value is about 100C, minus the clock throttling ratio that is set in the BIOS. I have mine set to 12.5%, which means that (roughly) at 87.5 degrees my CPU will kick down and maintain a constant temperature. But the problem comes with some motherboard manufacturers setting this value to something like 50% - at 50 degrees it kicks in and the CPU slows down for "no apparant reason".

There you go :p
                      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1978
                        I've got some more old news if anyone's interested.
                        No thanks, but we could use some future news. like what unexpected event will happen next week:wave:

Comment

Originally posted by [size=7
                          Onyx[/size]]
                          I thought the thermal thing in AMDs were to be implemented on the mobo's - and as of yet NO motherboards on the market supports it.
                          Actually Asus boards have supported this feature for a couple of months now. :smokin:
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamut Zer0
                            That TomsHardware video copped alot of flak when AMD released their own video with totally different results. I never did get to download that vid AMD released, server was clogged for ages and I lost interest.

Anyway, all Athlon XP CPUs now have thermal diodes in them to prevent chernobyl. In an interesting twist, there were reports that the P4 chips would kick in with their 'slow-down' technology for no apparent reason.

Again, didnt look into this....damm i hate dialup. Miss out on all the good stuff. :(
                            Where's the link to the AMD video?

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                              erwin1978[/size]]

Where's the link to the AMD video?
                              Ok here's the AMD link http://www.amdzone.com/files/amdburn.zip and here's the Intel one http://www.amdzone.com/files/intelburn.zip but there was also an Italian site that done vids too but I can't locate that one atm. :smokin:
                              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                              X