Network auto-dial problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network auto-dial problem

Help! Every time I boot my computers (4) which all share the same 10/100 network I get the same error message on the main computer through which all computers on network connect to the internet:

! Opening Port...

Error 678: The remote computer did not respond. For further
    assistance, click More Info or search Help and Support Center for
    this error number.

OS for the main computer is XP Home. I have run and re-run network setup wizard on all computers to no avail. The only way to prevent the main computer from attempting dail up automatically is to connect to the internet. If I simply use the com,puters without being connected to the internet, this message appears and I can hear the modem beeping (3 times) as if it is attempting to dial. How do I prevent this?

ok, so you want to prevent the 4 computers from auto-dialing the net?

go into Internet Explorer, Tools > Internet Options. Connections tab and select: "Never dial a connection". (this needs to be done on ALL 4 computers)

On your main computer, that the other 3 connect to the net through, open your network connections. (usually under Control Panel > Network Connections...

im guessing you have 2 connections, a LAN and a Internet.

Right click on the internet connection > properties > advanced, there should be three boxes. Make sure the last 2 boxes are unticked...thus not allowing other computers to try and connect to the net.

hope that helped :thumb:

Comment

Thanks, Thoric. Will try over the weekend and let you know if it worked.:)

Comment

no probs. good luck :thumb:

Comment

Working...
        X