Defragging XP using ME defrag utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defragging XP using ME defrag utility

I dual boot using ME and XP but I find that defragging with XP seems to take forever and after it's done the files never look 'continuos' (no blank spots) like they do in ME. If I have booted into ME can I defrag both systems from there without causing problems?:bounce:

What file system are you using for Windows XP? If it's NTFS you can't defrag it via Windows ME - WinME can't understand the NTFS file system. If it's FAT32 - I don't know - I wouldn't be game to try though ;)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Should've put that info in... FAT32:bounce2:

Comment

Well If ya want there to be no holes ya could always use nortons defragmenter in Norton system Works 2002 ...

It works pretty decently but personnaly id stick with the Win XP defragmenter works a whole lot better far as i have seen by performance anyway.. :)

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to 'Ghost' my system and have a go at the ME defrag utility and if it works well and good. if it fails I'll restore the 'Ghost'. Either way I'll report back here.:sun:

Comment

Coolies - do let us know if it works :bounce: :bounce2:

Comment

np

hope ya get it working :)

Comment

:sun: It works. I have two drives and four partitions... ME on c: XP on d: and e: and f: and I selected the lot from ME and let 'er rip. Booted up to XP and no problems at all. When I checked the defrag 'Analyse' in XP I had one great big blue square with the odd unmovables here and there.:D :D :D

Comment

Great to hear Ewen - thanks for getting back to us :thumb:

Comment

coolz glad you got it to work
                    :D

Comment

I used to defrag my hd's using win2k defrag And win98se defrag back in the bad days (pre XP) - never had a problem - so I can't see any problems with doing it with ME/XP
                      http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I had major slowdowns defragging an OS partition within a different OS when dual booting. Also, I've had major problems with the Norton Systems works package. The Anti-Virus is great, but most of the other stuff "fixes" your system.:thumbs do
                        Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Thanks for your post Morgan_Lander... all help is much appreciated

Comment

I have actually had a very different situation with Norton SystemWorks... I only ever use Norton Disk Doctor and Speed Disk, with no problems at all. I would be very happy to pay for a "cut-down" version of SystemWorks with only these two programs - the rest of the suite is :thumbs do IMHO.

Comment

I'd agree with you on that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X