Helpful Links for "Farmers."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helpful Links for "Farmers."

Here are some interesting links for anyone interested in building a DC Farm:

Setting up a Distributed Computing Farm

The Prime Monster

Both of the following are from Overclockers Forums: Linux farm for Folding & One PSU for 2 Mobos

I have others and will add them whenever I get the time. :devil:

20030711 Update: This is a great FAQ site with lots of info. SETI@home FAQ

20030712 Update: Try one of the following for remote control of computers, using free software, and possibly avoiding the cost of a KVM Switch. These are courtesy of kane2g and minibubba respectively:
    RealVNC or TightVNC

20030930 Update (Some of this stuff is kind of old):
    Welcome to JE2BWM's SETI@home analyser html pages
    Netboot
    Linux Terminal Server Project - Documentation
    Configuring Windows 2000 for Etherboot

This is for SETI@home people (from Team Phoenix Rising):
    Mr Mincer's Ultimate Sticky Reincarnate

Another SETI@home reference (from Overclockers UK): The Greatest Sticky in the Known Universe
    :-(

Thanks for the education... that bit about the 2 mobos for 1 psu is a bit sketchy to me, just can;t get that through my head as being safe...

Comment

Thanks for the analysis. I have not actually reviewed it, since I had just found it. The fellow did seem to get it to work though. :?:

Comment

I'm sure it works just fine, it just dosent sit right with me.

Comment

I know what you mean. I read one "how-to" about bridging two PSU's in one case, but it seemed very tricky to me. But that's not hard, since I don't have much of an electronics background. Wish I did, though. :flames:

Comment

tightVNC is a very good program. iv been using it for about 3 mounths and like it.

i like the netboot systems that use a normal box for a server and stripped down clients or blades. these blades are nothing more than a mobo, cpu,ram,and a psu.no video,auido,mouse,keyboard,monitor,hdd,floppy,or cdrom. then they use bootroms on the nic to boot off the server. i dont completly understand how it all works cause im linux stupid, but the blades could be built for under $200 each and thats with a xp2500. its got me thinking.:thumb:

:cheers:

Comment

I recommend using an all-in-one mobo solution. That way you can avoid the NICs and the bootroms.

Comment

The best solution is to find a mobo that is able to boot of the network. Cuz getting the Bootroms and NICs is gonna add up quick. they are kinda expensive, or maybe Im just too cheap :laugh:

Comment

Here's a link to ClusterKnoppix Knoppix is a GNU/Linux distribution that boots and runs completely from cd. It runs a complete linux distribution based on Debian, of recent linux software and desktop enviroments, with programs such as OpenOffice.org, Abiword, The Gimp, Konqueror, Mozilla, and hundreds more quality open source programs, compressed from 1.7GB to fit on a 700MB CD. It's default windowing enviroment is KDE.

The motherboard im looking at now is a MSI KM2M Combo-L. It has everthing on it, is cheap $62, will take a XP3000, and is Micro ATX in size. Ill be getting a 16 port switch next week. Im going with 4 mobo's per level and 4 levels. On top ill put the monitor, keyboard,mouse, and the switch. I can do this! My goal 1000+ points a day.:devil win

Comment

ok here is one that i have used, there is a lot of info for people that are interested in doing diskless clusters. here

Comment

Originally posted by waynebot
                      My goal 1000+ points a day.
                      For a second there I forgot that you do F@H, and thought 1000WUs/Day!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Comment

that would still be a very impressive feat since we rarely do 1000+ pts/day as a team :)

Comment

I have 3 rigs now that average 200 points a day, so 5 times that is what im looking for :thumb:
                          Still doing lots of research,having problems with my new burnner, cant seem to get the ISO burned to disk so i ordered a copy from Discount Linux CD's for $2.49, be here next week.:cheers:

Comment

F@H & Linux, here's a install guide for linux :thumb:

And here's one for GAHnix a distro for DC computing

Comment

I found a link with mucho SETI info. Its in FAQ form, so if you think you got a question.....
                              http://www.faqs.org/faqs/seti/at-home/questions/
                              Sorry they didnt have one for F@H. :(

Comment

Working...
                              X