Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory

Hi guyz just wanted to get more info on memory and how it works when ur over colcking.

I've got
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    2x256 Samsung Pc2700
    Coolermaster Aero7+
    Powercolor R9700P Evil Commando 2
    WD 80gb (8mg buffer)

I can't tell you that much about overclocking RAM, but I couldn't overclock my Samsung pc3200 512Mb at all. :( I hope you have more luck OC yours.

Also some advice that people have been giving me is to keep your memory running at the same speed as your FSB.

Comment

IMO Corsair memory is essential for a really high end overclocked system. I'm sure there are other brands out there but Corsair really backs up their products and actually encourages overclocking. Visit their website and log into their forums. I think it's www.corsairmemory.com. There is some excellent info there about setting RAM timings and FSB to not just overclock your memory but be sure you are getting the maximum performance from it.

Definately running your RAM in sync with your FSB will help your performance better than just boosting your FSB alone.

Comment

well, you could raise the fsb on bios and it will raise mem and cpu at same time(i think), but it will also raise the pci and agp frequencies so don't raise it up that much. i got same mobo as you can see and i can't get it up of 148mhz fsb with pc-2700(cheap brand i think) but was able to raise it up of 150(i think i did 160, ~1800mhz) with pc-3200(samsung) and it was stable, didn't stay with that much cause i ain't got good cooling.

Comment

the defult setting in the bios is 133

i can get this upto 143 which is 2600+
          and it was pretty stable
          temp idel 43 load 48
          don't know if thats acceptable temps for a AMD

Since u got the same mobo as me u'll know of the easy tune feature that came with it. What i wanna know is if that program
          sets all the other devices such as the RAM and AGP's frequencies automatically too? should i stick wif the bios?

Comment

PcNoob - Although I'm not exactly sure if those are good temps to have, I think they're acceptable. Staying under the 50 mark is a good idea if you're worried about temps.

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

hey guys, whats the difference between RDRAM and SDRAM? which one's new and which one's got higher performance.

Also how do i set my memory running same speed as my FSB? can anyone tell me? that would be much appreciated

and finally... where can i check my Memory and FSB Speed. Im sorry to ask you these dumb Questions, its because Im new on building pc and overclocking them, although i havent heard of someone tells me step by step on how can i overclocked my system. In case you know, heres my specs:

Pentium 4 2.66 MHz FSB 533MHz
                Kingmax PC3200 400Mhz 512 DDR Gold PCB
                Sapphire Radeon 9700 Atlantis pro 128 MB
                Gigabyte GA-8INXP Intel E7205 chipset
                Seagate SERIAL SATA Barracuda 7200.7 120Gb Hard Disk
                Vantec VP4-C7040 P4 Aeroflow Cooler P4 3.06Ghz+
                Sony CRX220A1 52x24x52 CR-R/RW
                Samsumg 16x DVD read and 52x CD-Rom
                Panasonic 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive
                AverMedia TV tuner
                etc... etc...

thanks in advance! cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by crazysniper22
                  hey guys, whats the difference between RDRAM and SDRAM? which one's new and which one's got higher performance.

Also how do i set my memory running same speed as my FSB? can anyone tell me? that would be much appreciated

and finally... where can i check my Memory and FSB Speed. Im sorry to ask you these dumb Questions, its because Im new on building pc and overclocking them, although i havent heard of someone tells me step by step on how can i overclocked my system. In case you know, heres my specs:
                  RDRAM - Old technology of the two, and although it was relatively fast it was too expensive. Probably the last you'll see of that technology. (your board uses DDR so you're stuck with it anyways)
                  SDRAM - What pretty much has always been used in (modern) computers. The biggest differences is that now we have DDR (double data rate) which makes it faster then regular SDRAM, as well as dual channel. Not sure if your board chipset supports Dual Channel, you'd have to look it up from Gigabytes website or your manual. Dual Channel is a new technology that allows you to run two identical sticks faster than one.

To find your memory and FSB speeds, look in your bios. To set them to be the same (synchronized), you will also have to access their options from the bios.

Comment

I see so RDRAM is an old version, but is it faster than the DDR Ram the we're using right now?

by the way my Motherboard supports Dual Chanel DDR, 4 Gig in total according to them :D.

So... as you said I can check it in through the Bios, ok i'll go there and check it, if i can't find options from there i'll post another.

Thanks man!

Comment

Actually, I think it chronologically (oldest to newest) goes SDRAM, RDRAM, DDR SDRAM, but I could be mistaken (when I got my comp in Fall 2001, RDRAM was the fastest on the market, and Dell just stopped using RDRAM and started using DDR SDRAM in its comps). But ya, the fastest DDR SDRAM is faster than the fastest RDRAM. I think the fastest RDRAM, 32 bit 1066 maxes out at 4.2GB/s where as DDR SDRAM (3500, etc) can hit 6.4GB/s and more. So that's what, 1.5x faster? Also, most motherboards that advertise that they can support 4 GB actually only support 3.5, ya might wanna check that out. However, I dont think there's a reason to get more the a 1 GB, unless you do some really serious computing. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Yep, it went SDRAM, RDRAM, DDR SDRAM.

RDRAM had it's time in high performance systems, although it was very expensive. The DDR RAM has now surpassed performance of RDRAM so sorry yeah, it is the best RAM.

Comment

Can i mixed PC3200, PC3500 and PC3700 in my motherboard? co'z i still have 3 more slots available . does it matter? or all of them will run at 3200 speed?

thanks...

Comment

Ya can run into probs doin' that and yes if ya don't it'll only run as fast as ya slowest memory but it's best to stick with modules of the same make and model.

Comment

i see, co'z i'm planning to buy a new memory, the PC3700 from OCZ.

Man... when i bought my PC3200 DDR memory it was the highest and now here's a new one again!!! dammit! its hard to after these memories, every 3 months theres a new one commin, if you keep on aftering them, you'll end up being broke!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X