PDA

View Full Version : nVidia + Sunbeam Tech + Xoxide Input Global Competition

Mr.Tweak
07-08-2003, 03:57 PM
nVidia + Sunbeam Tech + Xoxide Input Global Competition

Its time for another giveaway! This time we are asking everyone to give their input regarding TweakTown and what you all think we can do to improve our website each of your posts will be read individually and taken into serious consideration for possible implementation. Your thoughts are valued!

http://www.tweaktown.com/cameron/nvsbgiveaway.jpg

PRIZE BREAKDOWN:

1st Prize MSI GeForce FX 5600 128MB AGP 8x graphics card (supplied by nVidia (http://www.nvidia.com))

2nd Prize Sunbeam (http://www.sunbeamtech.com) pack including Etched Window Kit (Biohazard Gold), PSU Mod, 80mm LED fan grill, 80mm laser cut fan grill (Chimera) and $25 US online coupon code to use at Xoxide store (http://www.xoxide.com)

3rd Prize - $25 US online coupon code to use at Xoxide store (http://www.xoxide.com)

HOW TO ENTER:

To enter all you need to do is tell us how we can improve TweakTown with any suggestions, comments, constructive criticism you may have. Only serious comments will be entered into the competition this does not include one sentence comments or comments which have no relevance to our website these will be simply ignored. This is a global competition, anyone from any country in the world may enter we pay all costs to ship prizes. This competition will run for one month from July 8th till August 8th (Australian EST time).

HOW TO WIN:

Each successful entrant username will be entered into a text file on consecutive line and randomly chosen by scrolling up and down for one minute or thereabouts with eyes closed, then stopping on one name which will become the winner and so on for 2nd and 3rd prizes.

We look forward to hearing all of your thoughts and opinions regarding TweakTown, please now make them heard by replying in this thread!

Good luck!

Kheldar
07-08-2003, 04:06 PM
hey this isn't fair, Your making me think.

The only thing that I can think of is integrating everyting better,

Ie being able to make comments on articles without having to go to the forums, showing that your logged in when you visit the fronta page, making it a bit more customised to each individual user

Olie
07-08-2003, 04:15 PM
Well, i think that TweakTown is near perfect, however i do think that it needs a section where the cool people can hang out.

nah, on a more serious note.
kheldar stole one of my ideas with the intergration idea so i'm thinking of a new one...

Maybe the...
or...

narh

i'll have to post again later i think

Motoboy
07-08-2003, 05:15 PM
What you could do is to have a centeral Media page. Basically this would be a page that has all the pictures on the one page for that article. Cause we all like looking at pics and druling over them. So instead having to go thru every page to look at pics you could put them on one page and have that page included in the article/review.

Just an idea

DraGoN-BoY
07-08-2003, 05:26 PM
TweakTown is perfect the way it is, but there is one thing that could be added.
Which is when posting and adding a picture with the file attachment, users should be able to post more then one picture in one post other than using the picture tag linking to another site.
Oh, the counter saying how many post you have posted. I liked that, what happened to it?
:p :D

Other than that keep up the good work.

edit: One more thing I thought of, how about a section somewhere where members can post pictures and information about their rig? A PC database. :cheers:

Acid
07-08-2003, 05:34 PM
I'd like to see standardized testing, both hardware and software-wise. That means every review is done with the same equipment and thus, the results can be directly compared. Furthermore, the same benchmarking suite should be used each time. Also, although you may already be doing this, when performing motherboard roundups please ensure that each board is tested using a clean, freshly formatted install of Windows to ensure 100% accurate testing each time. Finally, bringing in a sub-editor to edit all content before its posted would also dramatically increase the quality of the site.

Andy
07-08-2003, 05:49 PM
A few things i would mind seeing changed or fixed:

News - Daily news posts, kinda like it used to be (back in the day)
Pictures - In a few reviews and articles, some of the pictures turn out as little red crosses

I feel everything else on TT is perfrctly fine

EDIT: Getting the long (very long) awaited Case Mod Gallery up and running would be a good addition to the site too

MaKoMaN
07-08-2003, 06:02 PM
a overclocking database would be nice so you can have a good idea how far you can push your cpu.

maybe even a list of the best hardware in each catagiry you know: high end, mainstream and value for everything like cpu, cases, mainboards, cpu coolers....etc

Juggalo_Dan
07-08-2003, 06:07 PM
You could make "Clans" on the forums or groups, depends on what you would desire to call them.
You could also add a text under the avatars that is at user preference.
another nice thing would be to have and easy rig details kinda thing, have it in the control panel, just fill in the blanks as if you are filling in your msn messenger alias and website and other stuff.
Even a few more board designs would be nice, something for the goths, something for the women, you know ;)
And last but not least, MORE little emoticons, there so cool :D

I Wish all other participants luck :thumb:

civicdragon
07-08-2003, 06:11 PM
To be truthful I cant find anything wrong with TweakTown at all... sure we can knitpick and find something silly, bu the layout is great the info is even better and up to date. All my systems are built based on ratigns from this site.

And I must say out of any forum I've been to you guys have the coolest smilies =)

Lowe
07-08-2003, 06:15 PM
well mabye you could do a bit more GUIDES...
i tried a lot of guides from you website like the
XP improve guides etc... they work great! mabye
you guys can make some more of those or that
improve other hardware things like the RAM or
videocards.

the rest of the website is perfect :)

Lowe..

XeroStrife
07-08-2003, 06:45 PM
The site is kick ass! :p I would not change a thing. All the information is easy to get to from the front page and well organized. The guides for improvements are of great quality and the site is set for my starting page, nothing like having the best latest info at your hands at any time. :D

Ximo
07-08-2003, 06:49 PM
ok.... the first thing i noticed, the first day, was that the wallpapers are realy cheap. Ok its not a big deal but it is a rly nice thing to have.
Second... in the web like section there shoulf be a links to online hardware stores (for *modding* and good hardware) cuz some ppl dont know where to buy stuff (especialy you dont like in the US)
Third... there is not ATI overclocking giude.... and i rly need it. and there could be some more guides
Last... A 88x31 link img would be very cool to have so that people can link tt to their website. (example below)

For the rest its a kikass site.... oh, the 728x90 bannner add at the top of the page look rly BAD

CYDEATH
07-08-2003, 06:49 PM
I think this is nice for them to be doing this and yes they are fine the way they are. I like tweakTown and always have liked it. So, it really makes me like it even more.

:flames:

Milander
07-08-2003, 07:16 PM
Wow, how to make something that in all I can see perfect, even better? Well, without reading through everything, I'll just speak my mine here : peace2:

More guides on the best 'tweaks' from Motherboards (IE safe limits, upper limits, max and things you need such as added comps to make it not melt down) to OS to games. I know there are a few guides out there, but some work.

Anything else I can think of would just be nit picking..More smileys are always good :thumb: Free beer would make this the best site ever :beer: :beer: :beer: (yeah I know you cant do that but well it's an idea heh)

Sicopath
07-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Archiving useful threads would definately cut down time searching for needed information.

]-[ellfire
07-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Upto date review section. Whenever i come to tweaktown and goto read up on a review i missed.. its such a hassle.. if it isnt in the recent reviews or articles.. i have to do a google to get the link from another news site that linked to it. Because when i goto the reviews section it isnt there too..

This would be a great improvement, also a little NEW gif next to the reviews added within the week or 2 weeks.. That way it is much easier to find hte new ones.

fester
07-08-2003, 07:53 PM
as every1 else has said, its bloody hard to find faults with tweaktown..

1 thing i did think of however (and either im blind and cant find it or its not there) is a "Guest Submission" / readers submit section, that can be evaluated and actually added to the site, and not just the forums like it is now.
admittedly you guys do an excellant job with ure reviews, but what about letting us loonies loose on it :D

ronnelin
07-08-2003, 08:08 PM
I thought about this for a long time, as we all know TT is as close to perfection that any site can get. But there is one thing that might get you even closer. Make a poll or something to see how many foreign users you have and I'll think you will find thats it's quiet a lot of us. Then you can see if someone is keen on makin translations for your guides and such. I have many friends who aint that good at English and can therefor not have use of all your great info and guides.

Greatings from a Swedish user (best for you that i win 1:st prize now)

kiz
07-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Hey,

TT is great etc... one of the best if not the best hardware sites around.

Some improvements are : -

1. Site navigation buttons aren't really that obvious for the first time viewer, they blend in to much with the rest of the content being the same colour and relative size as the content text.

Maybe some well optimized gifs or jpeg rollovers would be a little more eye catching and professional looking. I realize you have a size constrant with the amount of links you need to get in there however I still think there is a lot of room for inprovement.

2. The Search fuction - while it works fairly well and throws back a stack of information/results it needs a better way of priortising the search results. Perhaps an Advanced search section where the user can input more and narrow the search down might be needed here>.

3. The Reviews homepage/section - As TT has finished many a fine review you have quite a plethora of reviews stacking up. You need some way of navigating to each sub category instead of scrolling down until you find the category you want. And you should have the option to organise each review cronologically.

Anyways thats enough of my biatching....TT please dont take any of my comments to heart, you still run one of the most professional sites around that is always a great place to visit to get up to speed with the latest hardware news & reviews.

Keep up the great work.

:wave:

mr_grim
07-08-2003, 08:48 PM
Hey, errr. I must say that while your site is the best ive seen for content, it leaves a little to be desired on the design. For instance:

Way too much bare text on the main page. Graphics are a way focusing a users attention on certain objects. They can also be used so users can quickly identify items they want to read. This could be implemented by using small images related to the topic, with the artical posts, ie www.slashdot.org.

Search could be ordered topically (as it is now) and then chronologically.

Limits placed on forum sig image size. Thats right, im talking to you DAN :p

anyway. thats my :2cents:

Grim

xRave
07-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Actually, the site is perfect. The most important things and things that come first in mind are already settled up on this site. My compliments!

I don't really need something, but it might be an idea to create after every tweak guide you guys made, a form. A form where people can fill in multiply choise and/or open questions. Things like; Did it improve? yes/no/little. Did you came among any difficulties, we might need to explain further/better? yes/no etc.. You can think of many questions. Know what i mean? So if people don't really feel up like to post on the forum, then simply can anonymous fill in a form, if they want to. You might also want people to make them able to rate your tweak guide/review themself.

:cheers:
xRave

Mayo
07-08-2003, 09:07 PM
What to say...
TT is really very good as it is..(sorry for my english.... I am from ItalY)...

Really You can improve only improving the single treats... if possible!!??

May be, if you have a lot of people from one country, you could translate some "very interesting" articles....

Even if, I think, it is Ok like it is!!

Bye:)

Grim Reaper
07-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Basically all of my suggestions have been posted. A PC Database would be handy, possibly a separate section to this database for overclockers, and that case modders database thats on its way ;)

Underneath/above the Web Poll, maybe we could get a section for "Recent threads with 0 replies"?. That way, people get a little more help from the people that visit the main page that may know their answer.

On the guides, reviews and article pages, a section up top that quick links to each section would be handy, so you can quickly scan over what sections you could read.

BOTW could have a comeback ;)

As has been mentioned before, I don't mind those larger, single news posts, but I also like the smaller, one news item per post...so this one's a hard one :)

Well, I'm probably sounding nit-picky (which I'm not trying to be, honest! :)), but theres a couple of suggestions for you anyways

:thumb:

EDIT: Just another suggestion :) Maybe an IRC channel? Lets all the TT users interact in real time :)

pfgp76
07-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Overall, This forum is the best in terms of reviews and generally in terms of content. But, some improvements could be made by separating the configurations for AMD and Intel (motherboards/processors/cooling). The same could be made with the Nvidia and ATI/ other boards. This would surely help to easily narrow down the choices. It's much like organizing Mp3 into folders such as hard rock classic etc. noone will look for beethoven in the hard rock category. I think that this way, the users will read every single right review of the produc/category they're after, and not lose themselves searching every article. Keep up the good work. Best of luck lads.

Pedro.:cheers:

rkane
07-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Well I'm at work so I don't have time to read everyone else's ideas. So if I copy someone then I guess I won't get an entry into the contest.

Overall I think TweakTown really looks nice. Very good graphics and organization. There is plenty of info in the reviews, news, and forums. I have been reading them for over a month now and I haven't even scratched the surface.

An idea I had was that you take all your reviews of CPU/Modo combinations and put them in a large database that allows us to search it and see the results. This database of course will take time to setup the first time, but after the initial data input all you have to do is add info as you make new reviews.
You could put in information about the systems like Ghz, FSB, Mb RAM & speed, HD, and other useful System specs, and have the benchmarks associated to that system in the database. That way we could for example pick 4 systems from the database and put up a webpage that lets us see how all those systems compare in benchmarks.

I don't know if this has been done, or if it's even feasible, but it's an idea.

Good Luck everyone.:wave:

syx
07-08-2003, 09:48 PM
I think Tweaktown is great, i recieve my newletters and i love it, i love being up to date!!!!

I an frequently using the forums for all my questions, man it work well, and i get so much information there!! Keep the good work by ansering all those questions!!!!

I Would like to see more reviews of older products, like budjet processors for overclock, budjet videocards, etc.

Also a section on projects would be fun, from tweaktown and from members! This would be great!

THX for all TweakTown!

Anova
07-08-2003, 09:49 PM
TO make tweaktown better the site has to develop a more concise identity. All the other popular tech sites, like tomshardware, guru3d, newoin all have strong identites and know what to expect when they go to the site. Tweaktown does not have that effect on users, it mostly has reviews and headline news that was on the other tech sites hours earlier. To improve thes site i think you should strive to incorporate more tweaks into the site, having an accesable tweak section, possible develop a tweaking program like riva tuner/neotweak and also have a downlaod section with usefull downloads, like tweaking applications, like xp smoker.

I think guides/explanations on how to tweakcomputer hardware/software should be the main empahsis of the site, instead of reviews of hardware, although the reviews still should be kept.

Wordbiker
07-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Ummmm, OK.
Here's an idea that I was gonna use on my own page. ...
An easy reference page of download links for free tweaking related programs. These could be "TweakTown Approved" links such as mentioned in the articles (Adaware,RegCleaner,etc) categorized for intended use, the newest drivers>BIOS>Firmware updates for common hardware... Links could also be posted by the members, but to prevent abuse, perhaps a rating system could be used, or a place for comments about compatibility, usefulness, bugs and issues, SPAM, etc.
I have spent SOOOO much time looking for and collecting these very useful utilities and programs for my own machine, but seems to me it'd be handy for newbies and oldbies alike to have a reference page with it all in one place. If you're looking for more traffic, that'd bring a lot of folks here...and back here too. :2cents:

elrado1
07-08-2003, 10:10 PM
Gee, I was wondering why the number of active users was up. I think I've discovered why!

I was going to leave it at that and post a recommendation at another time, but then I realized that I do have a suggestion: Conduct monthly give-away contests of really neat computer stuff from your favorite sponsors. Be sure to advertize the contests on the TT Home page...

More later. :)

CudofCow
07-08-2003, 10:25 PM
1. Lots of pictures in the reviews section and other places dont show up, they end up being blank boxes with the red X.

2. I would love to see a Case Gallery that beats the rest!

3. A game reviews section would be nice, with actual ratings on which game is suit to which style. I know there is already a gaming review section but it mostly covers graphics cards and whatnot. I know that an entire site could be devised to specifically discuss games but this would be a nice touch, also a nice place to show how to use games to benchmark your system.

4. More interesting Tweaktown graphics, dont get me wrong the current ones are incredibly sharp and professional looking, but you can never have enough cool logos and icons and stuff.

5. Being able to scheme the forums with snazzy colors might be interesting. Also, for some reason your smilies in the message to edit section of this forum makes my cursor go crazy, a slight annoyance.

6. And last but not least you could completely revamp and create some awesome flash presentation to blow away the competition. (be careful though, many misuse this power)

Overall, keep up the awesome work!!!! Tweaktown is pimp!
:devil win :devil win :afro: :devil win :devil win

kane2g
07-08-2003, 10:38 PM
The only thing i can think of is adding a quickreply, like on xoxide forums. That makes the life a little easier, especially on 56k!!

Rico064
07-08-2003, 10:53 PM
It is great the way it is. You can't really change anything that would make thingsd much better except maybe the idea another guy had about using the same system for testing etc so you can compare test results with past tests.

'Data is not information, Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not wisdom.'
Rico

Protostar8472
07-08-2003, 11:02 PM
I like tweak town alot, I just think you need more awsome hardware reviews, and lots of pics in there too .javascript:smilie(':D')
javascript:smilie(':D')

amd_man2005
07-08-2003, 11:14 PM
To make TweakTown better, well TweakTown is damn near perfect but here's a few things we could do to make it better. A F.A.Q. Database on Cooling and Overclocking would be nice, because it seems the same questions are being asked. I think that there should be more reviews and guides, but I know that's hard to do at the time. If we could get the Trading Post more popular, it could do tons for the site if it went big, because it's more organized than most Classifieds sites I've been to. The homepage is not exactly 56k friendly, not to me anyway, so that could probably use a little work also. Other than that, TweakTown is perfect in my opinion. :thumb:

EDIT: I was just thinking, and I though a part time Chat room would be cool for the BG, or just one for Live Tech Support, personally, I like the idea for one in the BG better :laugh: I could even volunteer some of my time to help out with the chatroom if it was ever needed.

Empire83
07-08-2003, 11:23 PM
First thing I would suggest for you guys to do is to redesign your website. The site looks good but it could look really good with just a few updates.

I also suggest having a requently updated a news section. This would be great because you are expanding your borders with more content to your website. Not only will you be the best hardware reviewers/tweakers/etc, but you will be able to be one of the best computer news websites. Everyone loves one stop web surfing, if they can find all the thing they love at one website, they will only really go there. Also, a better news section could increase the awareness about your website. Nothing sounds better than "We have information that a Tweaktown.com report has found out that computer parts cure AIDS"

The amount of ad on your site is good, and not near the point of annoying. But you might want to look towards advertising yourself if you haven't done so already.

weta
07-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Not sure if my views count, but here goes, and yes I know some of you have mentioned these already.

1. Personally I think it would be a good idea if the site had a refresh once a year, ATI's recent upgrade is good example of what I mean.
2. As a news poster I'd like a section where I could post smaller daily news stories, which may be of interest to individuals, rather than the everyone, there are a lot of such stories.
3. Many of you know that I post links to new programs, drivers, patches, game demos etc, but they're all over the place, it would be great to have a downloads section so everyone knew where to find them.
4. The ten most popular threads listed on the front page

Just my :2cents:

egowen
07-08-2003, 11:34 PM
I'd like an advance search option so we could determine which forums are searched. All the forums should be on the advanced search page with a check box for including or excluding them from the search. Some help on how the search engine parses the input would be helpful in making our searches more efficient.

Otherwise, TweakTown is just fine.

Anti
07-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Let me start off by saying that this is the most active that I have ever been on any forum. I like the community here and everyone seems to give really good advice. Plus its not a constant flame forum. I really like that part. You might consider a section in hardware for the nForce chip set. VIA and SIS have their own. Another category you might consider is one for tips and tricks. So when people come across neat things that they would like to share. Therell be a place for it. Maybe even sub-cat orgies like software and hardware. This might be stretching it a bit but, maybe one on pitfalls. People could give their experiences on things to look out for. All in all its a great site with a great forum. Im glad to be a part of it. Even if I am still a newbie.:cheers:
I second weta's suggestion on a news section.

bobn4burton
07-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Well, I really like the site. The reviews seem pretty good and I don't have a lot to complain about. I really like getting an email from your site everytime you post a new review. With these emails, it helps keep me up to date on all the latest hardware:cheers:

The only thing that i don't like all that much is the minimum word length of 4 letters when you search in the forums. I don't know if anything can be done about this or not, but it seems like it should be at least 3 letters minimum. It seems like about 1/3 of the searches I want to do contain a 3 letter word...(AMD, ATI, etc...)

Keep up the good work:clap:

Fedele
07-08-2003, 11:49 PM
First things that pop in my mind:

1. MORE LANGUAGES: if the sites gets international visitors it should at least be written in spanish,german,italian and french.

2. More Smilies

3. More space for user avatars

4. More contests

5. Opinion articles, not just reviews of stuff, criticism.

6. More technical help for for tech newbies.

7. A Send this article to a friend and a printer friendly version option for articles.

Just my 2 cents.

jimowens
07-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Well one thing for sure I can think of to improve the site is.....

When i try to view the OLD News Items by going to the bootom right corner of the front page and select view ALL. I get NOTHING!!!!

I have pointed this out to Cameron on at least 2 occassions, and it still doesnt work. Does anyone else have this problem? Or am i just from jupiter or something. It doesnt matter whether i look at it from my Mobile, alabama office, or my new orleans office or my home in Pensacola. it always is the same. and thats on 3 different ISP's and 3 different computers with 3 different operating systems.

but the all use IE 6.

Other than that I love the site. I read it almost every day.

I wish you had more reviews by your staff, but i understand you dont have 100 people doing reviews for you. I would also like to see more Roundup reviews. It really helps when making hardware purchasing decisions for my company.

stereo55
07-09-2003, 12:08 AM
I think Tweaktown could use a "Classifieds" section where members could trade/sell their good used hardware . People are always looking fo deals for completing that so-called other PC/RIG . Also a "Wanted" section under the same "Classifieds" header would also be good .
To help avoid any Trolls , everyone would have to sign up for a "HEATWARE " account before any trading transactions could actually take place .

I also think an "ONLINE DEALS" section would be VERY cool , letting everyone post great or cool deals that are strickly found online for us geeky types :thumb: .

My .02

stereo55

FRAGMAN BOB
07-09-2003, 12:24 AM
Hmm... what can I say to win that awesome prize:drool:

The only thing I can think of that is not a minuscle comment is that the Main site should have a few more reviews and more how-to's, also I think it would be great if a database was integrated so users could search review ( : ou could look for the highest rated video card under $200 from the last 6 months) and you could have a few charts that were updated with (instead of ratings) benchmarks from many of the (staying with the same part) videocards, so that users could look for the fastest, not nessacarily the highest rated.
I have one more comment, maybe a new review system with instead of stars a number system from 1-100 with seperate catagories such as:
Performance- 91
Stability- 85
Value- 89

Overall- 88
Then in the database that I mentioned above you could be able to search for the (again) videocard with the highest rating in performance, stability, value, or overall.

Well, those are my ideas.

Conquistadorst
07-09-2003, 12:38 AM
This is a great website, but I think it would be really nice to have more reviews on hardware. I think it would be great if you guys started something similar to THG did with their VGA charts; and even better if you guys kept it updated with all of the latest benchmarks. It would be nice to have a place that always shows you a roundup of all the latest benchmarks besides THG :).

Yeah, and more tech support in the forums for all the PC noobs out there like me.

Thanks for all the hardwork you guys put in :thumb:

ricos0
07-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Overall the site organization is awesome. You could divide the hardware forums into subcategories, i.e. under motherboards you could have separate forums for different mobos (asus, asrock, ecs, etc). That way it would be easier to follow threads specific to the hardware.

Keep up the good work!:clap:

Angelcat
07-09-2003, 12:58 AM
How about a section where graphic artists can share their experiences and advice? :wave:

s.scotty
07-09-2003, 01:04 AM
there are dozens of forums like Tweaktown (and some are almost as good!). But none has improved on the common ability to provide information, or to view problems, on specific functions, with a variable degree of focus. :?:

Each successive visit involves a troll through the intervening days' entries of a broad category - pages and pages and pages. Or else using the Search facility repeatedly with different words each time. :zzz:

How about coding each post according to, say, a dozen categories ,which would be different for each forum. Then one could obtain a page of posts relevant to "Win98/EPoX/AMD/shutdown/lockup", for example in the Windows forum, or "Cooling/HSF/Athlon/mounting" in the Cooling forum. The poster should include all categories, whilst the searcher could omit some to broaden the search. :wow:

Don't get me wrong, I love perusing the posts - but I don't have the time to scan (and poke into!) them all, and like Homer (Simpson,that is!) each time I note something new, I forget something I was remembering.........: omg:

Even so,Tweaktown Home plus Forums is a Blue Chip Site.:thumb:

One Drone
07-09-2003, 01:54 AM
I have not read what other people have said as of yet, so if I have said something that one of you guys already have, I'm really sorry! :wow:

1. This is probably my main criticism against TT atm and it really stops me coming to TT regularly. It is the fact that the home page takes me a very long time to download and even though there are a lot of people with cable and ADSL out there, there are still a lot of 56kers (in my case 28k) out there who have to experience the same thing. I suggest you perhaps you cut the news section regularly so we are not loading something most people have already read. As we speak, there is news from the 24th of June still. I think it would be ok to limit it to a week wouldn't it? If you still want to keep some of these articles, you could put it in a separate folder (or section) so people can view what they may or may not have missed.

2. When testing a piece of hardware, you should always try to use the same software and maybe even the same computer and keep this 'test computer' for about 6 months until you can upgrade it again. This way we can get more accurate results if we want to compare say a Radeon 9800 Pro to an FX5900 Ultra. When talking about software, you should also try to use the same benchmarks and the same settings within the benchmarks and, again, use these benchmarks for period of six months. After this period, you can then obtain better benchmarks and hardware. This is mainly for those who want to compare products, but only products that are reviewed at your site with the same benchmarks and computers.

3. With the news itself, I think this is possibly one section that is greatly overlooked by TT. I believe yes, there should be 'main' articles at the front of the page that you feel that are most relevant to most people at TT. However, there are lots of little minor articles out there that I feel you may be neglecting and this is what a separate 'News' Section could be for. All you would really need to do is get all these little articles, have a little bit cut out and pasted which would describe what the article is about, and then the link to the article itself. Also, you could have something within this section called 'Coming Events' (or it could be separate) which would outline the major (maybe minor) events that will be happening with TT or just the PC industy in general such as Computex. Oh, and we shouldn't neglect the news about TT! Or is that sort of info always going to be on the front page anyway... :P

4. With the articles, guides and reviews section, these are increasingly becoming bigger, and because of this, this database should be organised more efficiently for better access overall by us. It is especially a pain in the large reviews section where you have to scroll all the way down a page to get to a review a want, a bit old fashioned IMO. I am not sure how you should organised this, but I think for now, you should just have separate links to 'Motherboards' and 'Video Cards' etc. You just click video cards and then you are linked to a page which lists the video cards that have been reviewed from A to Z. That bit is up to you guys of course!

5. I am not sure if you are just picking excellent products to review or you just don't want to find bad things about a product. When I look through the review section, there are very few products (if any at all) that actually get very low marks. Nothing is perfect and the reviews section doesn't seem to really outline this. I think you really need a system of points so that we can actually get an idea of how well products scored in your opinion. Personally, the difference between 9.5 and 9 seems minimal, unless you think that everything so far has been pretty good. If that is so, then you can count this bit out. There needs to be an overhaul here somewhere and I think getting a whole new reviewing system is the best way. These days, with tight competition, you can not just simply just give a special number to a product that you have reviewed. You must review it based on different groups such as performance, ease of use, installation etc, and then obtain an average out of all the other variables.

6. I also think there should be a projects section or something that you guys are currently working on or included in this section could be details on what you guys think as the 'Ultimate Computer'. This hypothetical computer would have no limit in funds but it would be based on what an ultimate gamer would buy. Not some thing that has Dual P4s and a graphics designer card. In this project section, you could also include what reviews you are currently working and perhaps even when they are due to be posted up. Also, you could describe some places you have recently been like Expos and Computex if you go to these, but then again, this could have its own section!

7. How about an 'About Us!' Section? I mean, yes there is a 'Contact Us' section but people wouldn't really think about going here to see TTs history as this is usually the section for when you want help or would like to congratulate someone. Also, perhaps more pics of you guys just being yourselves at a regular TT party or soemthing. We are all human! This separate section would just be ideal for any true TT fan. :P Mission Statement: Has TT got one that sums up what TT is trying to achieve and its goals etc? This should be for everyone to see and would be a perfect fit for this proposed 'About Us' section.

8. A minor part you could have on the home page is the 'most popular' section. This could have the most popular forum threads or the most popular reviews/articles/guides, or a combination of them all. I say this because if these are the most popular, then why not make it easier for others who would like to access the same page? It would be much easier than to keep clicking page through page to get to where they want to get to. I should also mention that this little bit should be on the front page probably just below 'quick links'?

9. Members Secion. I think the forum really covers all the members of TT, however there may be really special members out there who deserve credit for something and it would really promote TTs interaction with the public. You could have pictures of people who would win competitions, or people with a really well modded up PC or similar. Again, this is up to anyones imagination but the members section I believe would have a lot of potential. If you had enough space, you could do what OCAU have done and have a computer entry database full of members PCs and thier specs with a pic. Really, this is a section that my mind is limited to!

10. This is more of a question on my part, but does TT have an IRC channel somewhere? I mean, I haven't seen any on Austnet but an IRC channel would be great for those who need help ASAP. It doesn't really have to be for those that want help either, but want to discuss related topics and/or discuss common likes, dislikes etc. If not IRC, some sort of online and in-site chat channel that people can use to talk to eachother live.

Otherwise, so far, the TT site is very easy to navigate the the reviews are usually pretty good as well and up to my standards at least. I mean, there may be a lot I would like to see with TT and I have typed as much as I can think of for the moment, but it would make for my ultimate PC Tweaking Site, so much in fact, that I won't have to keep checking other sites for their reviews and more news. I am also a reader of PCPP (and have been one for ages) and the Tech Section is finally looking as good as it should...gg TT! Anyway, this is what I can think of for now (2am, almost 3am), but I'm sure the creative juices will start flowing again some time at a later date (or more suitable time). The main thing I was trying to single out was your sites 'ease of use'. It still does have some issues, but once these are fixed, the Tweak Town should be really 1337!

Stay consistent and keep steady growth!
gg Tweak Town!

:flames:

scb2121
07-09-2003, 02:15 AM
Well i see no problem with the speed of tweaktown, like i do on many other forums. I do think that it would be nice to have a live chat for all of the users that are on at a certain time, and maybe forums to compare the newest stuff that comes out with the older stuff, ex is Kt400 vs Kt400a, and XP 3500 vs XP 3800. Just a thought. So every time a new item came out an admin would post a topic where people can post there personal comparisons about the items.

07-09-2003, 02:19 AM
ok, only thing i can think of is to compress your banners and logos to make it load faster, cause their not compressed (or at least very well) right now. Thats all folks!

Master
07-09-2003, 02:47 AM
TweakTown is a great site and i have been reading the news and reviews for a long time now, but i am now venturing into the forums (as if i am not a member of enough forums :rolleyes: ).

Here is some of the ideas i have come up with after long hard think.

1. A post count display so people can see how many posts have been made by anyone in each of their posts. This means people can see who the regulars are and the regulars are usualy the most knowable people :)

2. More PC hardwre reviews and comparisons. I alway like to see big comparisons including most of competition so that you can see all the hardware at once tested under the same conditions. Although i do know that this is not often possible because of time constraints and availablity.

3. An online chat channel hosted at TT would be great, I have seen it at some other forums and it works good when there are a lot a of members (like here).

4. You could organise the site into different sections, like Motherboards, CPU's, Video Card's and Monitors, Giudes, and then on the front page the main big news could be posted. This could make it easier for people to find what they are looking for.

Hope some of my ideas are helpful and that i haven't repeated what has already been said (I'm too lazy to read 3 pages of posts :))

psilent
07-09-2003, 03:04 AM
Have occasional indepth analysis, but have more frequent less-deep contents. One way to generate more traffic is to have more news/updates.

Maybe rotating weeks of product types (ex. case fans, heat sink, video, audio, case) and have different news each day about that particular product type.

skullmugsyRTP
07-09-2003, 03:18 AM
I would say that Tweak Town is an excellent site as it is. The only thing that could really improve it is a downloads section. While reading guides I have come across links to download programs like SiSoftware's Sandra etc, and each time I think to myself, wow this is a cool program I wonder what other programs Tweak Town recommends. Then I look for a downloads section and I don't see it. Anyway I think that an organized downloads section would be and excellent addition to Tweak Town.:drunk:

minibubba
07-09-2003, 03:24 AM
What can I say that hasn't already been said? TweakTown is a great site, one of the best. But if I"ve got to say something then here goes:
-an actaully case mods gallery instead of one very long thread
-more in-depth hardware reviews
-more guides on a wider varitey of hardware and software
-a few more styles and smilies to pick from

It's kinda hard to come up with anyting for a site as good as this one is

howard bretman
07-09-2003, 03:56 AM
how about a shortened 1 page overview so that you can get the idea without wading through several pages if it is an article that does not at this time interest you. Apart from that it is great - keep up the good work. As a Londoner it is a pleasure to get real information that does not come directly from America.

no leaf clover
07-09-2003, 04:30 AM
MY suggestion:
make an easy way to get from the forums back to tweaktown(the articles) am I missing it? If you hit home it brings you to the forum home. I didn't even realise there were articles for the first 6 months I visited the site.
another would be to increase the peer reviews of new hardware/software I know this is up to the members but having just bought a digital camera I would have liked to known if any other members had bought the same camera before I did.
well there is the winning suggestion, I would give a vote to WORD BIKER, GRIM REAPER, and FEDELE for 2nd place as i agree with there suggestions.
no leaf

skY
07-09-2003, 04:39 AM
Tweaktown Rockz!

Radical Tweaktown news is the slam & do NOT do anything to rack it up! If there were something needing change TT would surely have done it already. You're the final approach to 411...
Universal Love....
:group:

Scooder
07-09-2003, 04:54 AM
Well I'm picky about the websites I visit regularily, and like many others this seems like an easy choice to return to every day. Anyways, a website is never complete so heres my nitpicking...

1) More frequent news posts - Once in a while we go days without a news post, and I think it's because of the good pick of news bits that are posted that I feel neglected when theres no news:tears: So, great news posting, and I'd feel more motivated to return even more often (scary) to see whats new.

2) Integrating the site more - People are right, the left column of links could use a bit of a reworking just to make it stand out more and be viewed more clearly. And if possible, add or change the forums to be integrated with the main pages more as the more the better.

3) System rig page - Also as other people have said, somewhere you could have your own personal page (even if everyone has the same template) where you can upload your systems specs, benchmarks, and pictures of the beauts.

Other than that, can't think of anything without brain malfunctions so... good work :clap:

zeradul
07-09-2003, 05:03 AM
Here's one that might have been said. Clean up the long running 'Sticky' threads that have un-related posts.

For example, the 'Good Online Retailers' threads have a good amount of un-related posts that can be deleted, as well as multiple posts from the same user. Combining the posts (when feasable) will help condense those threads and make them much easier to use.

--------

And as someone else said archiving common questions is a very good idea. To expand on that, Maybe make a Forum Sub-division just for the best examples of threads asking common questions. Move very old threads that provide good advice into the new forum, and then we can suggest people look there first, but when a common question IS asked, we can easily just link to it without having to DIG through pages and pages of threads to find the one we're looking for.

t00lb0x
07-09-2003, 06:36 AM
I'm back!:thumb: :clap: . And S.P.A.Mless. I love TT and there is very little to improve. So pointing out problems will be hard, and the problems will be little ones and very nitpicky.

First the forums are great, they are a way to get information quickly and other people's opinions. But you do not emphasize on the forums enough. Like you used to link to the forums for articles by Weta. You don't seem to do that as much as you used to. Also your front page seems a bit disorganized. What I mean?--You don't have a lot of Tweak Town Content updates so why not put that on the bottom or onto the side and then put the "All The Latest News, That Matters!" on the top to make it look like things are changing on the site. At a quick glance it looks like the site is rarely updated and no one is managing it (even thought its obvious its updated often.) Also you should put a "banner ad" on other tech websites and maybe affiliate them better. I rarely see your site affiliated with other ones. The better the site (more views the site gets, the better the reputation, and the willingness of the site to "swap banner ads" Besides that the site's layout and reputation cannot be improved. Its a great site with great content and admins (my grudge against Beefy has been removed.)

Now on ideas to improve the site itself. The site is very imformative and done professionally. But I think you need to devote a part of it to gaming. Most (NOT ALL) people who read this site probably play computer/video games. There should be a seperate section just for gaming. Most stuff can be put under just general computer, like monitors and sound cards. But stuff like Graphics cards, joysticks, keyboards, mice, and mouse pads should be reviewed and put under "gaming."

This cannot be put under a catagory but you need to have a bit more guides/articles and reviews of products. You have a few a month but some sites have more and that is what attracts people to them. Also you should have some special cover of some just "fresh" computer parts/events. Like THG covering the Million Man Lan. Or maybe an exclusive on the newest Gforce FX gfx card. Anything like that to get site viewage up.

Also a download section would be good. A place where applications and utilities. This way when you mention a utility/application in your guide/article/review/forum you can link to it. Also a detailed download section can improve the site itself overall. If you make it so the download section has lots of downloads with a brief explanation of what the download does (I.E. Spybot Search and Destroy is used to find and delete usage tracks. Also it removes most bugs.) Also it would be good if there was a short tutorial on how to use the application/utility to its foolest would also make the site better.

Yes this would be hard and take a lot of coding, I mean elbow grease, but it pay off. It would make the site better for advanced users and beginners. Also beginners are always looking for a good site at which there is helpful (no0b terms used and things explained) and friendly (no people yelling at them for asking questions.)

It would also be helpful to add a "newb section" or something like that. Where many basic things can be explained like terms and simple guides. Example for a simple guide: How to flash your bios. Or you can explain terms to make it easier for the beginners to learn. If they learn well they wont be beginners again and will inturn help the community which helped them. Which would be Tweak Town.

Also, a section or article on what to buy. Like what do you consider top of the line products which someone should/could replace there computer with. In this section you should have a "king of the hill" or anything like that. The point of this is to prove what is the best graphics card, processor, motherboard. This would be a good way to recommend computer parts. Not only should you have the best of each catigory but you should have a "best bang for your buck" section for the budget minded computer user. Also you should have a worst of the season or worst products on the market. This way you can advice your readers not to buy/use the products. This will also provide an entertaining read.

The point of doing this is to increase people viewing the site. If more people view more people will want you to be sponsors increasing viewage.

Hope you like my ideas I really thought about them and tired to be original (I actually just posted a reply after reading the first topic, now I need to look at what everyone else said)

When I think of more ideas I will edit this thread so please check back constantly. Expect it to be really big, I'm filled with ideas.

chezman
07-09-2003, 06:48 AM
First off, the site is #1 in my book.
Although I will add a few items:

A)A printable version of the tweaks page made by PersionImmortal would be nice. Like a downloadable TXT file so people can go through them at their leisure.

B)A section for just pics of everyone rigs. I would love to post mine, and see what everyone else has done to theirs to get some ideas on how I can improve up my design.

C)I notice a lot of people sort of the same setups. Like the Epox ERDA3+ with a Barton 2500+ or a Asus A7NX with the same. Although a section where you can see what the best settings are for ocing would be nice. So you can see where to start, or how HIGH other people have gone, to give you a better idea on where to start, and where you can go OCing wise.

D)Get rid of all the BS threads like you guys are already doing. We don't need to support Crackers, Warez, or any other BS here. No reason to have that stuff at such a great site.

E)Have a thanks section to post thanks to the people that have helped out everyone the most. So people can post a thanks to "so&so" just to give kudos to the guys who are REALLY here to help others and do it all the time.

I love the site, keep it up. You guys know what you are doing. By asking for more ideas and help on making it better, just goes to show how killer this site is. Plus YOUR dedication to making it better via EVERYONES ideas. And giving out prizes to boot. CAN'T BEAT THAT.

Chez

[b]Knowledge is POWER

XBoy
07-09-2003, 07:09 AM
When I first started to visit Tweak Town I came for the excellent guides. The hardware reviews are great, and the news coverage is stellar. I think what people really are interested in is more guide. In my opinion Windows XP from reformat to relax is one of the *BEST* guides for computers I have ever read in my life. An idea is to encourage the people that were chosen to review products to write guides. I would LOVE to see the Ultimate Geforce guide, or perhaps the From cluttered to clean Desktop Cleaning guide. Maybe even a BIOS logo guide or two. The game tweaking guides are absolutly wonderful, and they attract many visitors. With a huge archive of guides I believe it could bring Tweak Town from good to great, if not the best PC hardware site out there. A second and not so important suggestion would maybe be to feature the newest and greatest linux distro's out there. I kind of view this website as PC centric, and therefore appealing to the population which are windows users. A linux guide or two couldn't hurt, and especially an introduction to linux/alternative operating systems guide that would hold the hand of the reader ever step of the way. A bi-annual summary of where linux is on the desktop market, and the best choices for a good linux workstation would be great.

Thank's again Tweak Town, and cheers

Broham77
07-09-2003, 08:04 AM
How about translations of reviews from other international hardward sites (ie. most of the CeBit articles were in german)

papejack
07-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Hi !

Do you ever tought about doing the wonderfull thing in french or other language ?

Well, maybe it's not a good idea since not that many people speak french, except here in the Quebec. We don't have site like you do, so if you could have a french version it would be nice, sinci you could be linked on major site here.

So that was my idea !

bye

Jacques Brard
Joliette, Qubec, Canada

[email protected]

Shad0w
07-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Here are just some ideas of my head.

Make the portal to be customized so that every user that visits the site sees all the reviews, or content of the site that he views everyday. More customized by the users standards and the way he set it up in his account. Also maybe a skin option.
Reduce the # of smilies in the forums port count. Their is too much even for my screen resolution. Your using VBulletin, so their should be a good MOD (HACK) out their so that you can post a certian # of smilies in the box and post a link to view more. Try and keep it at a 4x4 max.
I think if you don't go for the skin option for the portal, you might as well try and do a new redesign on the skin. It just looks too simple. If you need help on site design I would be able to help out.

You must be in desperate help to make a contest just to get some help from the community...
I know their must be some nice people on here that will help out for nothing...just a little underhand credit, if you know what I mean. *wink* *wink*

:woot:

triple_s
07-09-2003, 08:36 AM
TT is pretty good, but there is just a few things that annoy me.

Firstly, i would like to see some sort of limit on the signatures on the forum. I get annoyed reading posts, then i have to scroll down past 10 lines plus a picture to get to the next post. There should be a limit like 4 lines of text or one picture.

secondly, This reply thing needs fixing. Im using 800x600 res and i have to scroll across the page to type in my reply. You should have the smilies like 4 of the most used ones on display, and then a link below them (saying something like "Show More").

Ill probly think of more things later, but these are the main things for me.

:)

Splash
07-09-2003, 09:18 AM
I think the fact that we all keep coming back is testament to the fact that TT is pretty darn good already.

it's hard to nail down some ideas for improvement, especially one not already mentioned - but here goes.

is there some way to promote more active involvement in the forums. I reckon there is a wealth of knowledge in the user group but it seems that the regular 10 or 12 people do most of the posting.

I am guilty of not doing enough myself. is there some way to encourage the silent majority to contribute more of their accumulated knoweldge to the community??

just a thought.
Thanks

osmosis
07-09-2003, 10:15 AM
The site seems to be a post-nuke sort of set up... how about some different styles to choose from when we've logged in?
More guides, of course. Open up a user-submitted guide section and farm the forums for the guides. Mabye have some points systems for people who submit high quality guides?
Convert to slashcode. (Click here for info (http://slashcode.com/))
This site would be enhanced exponentially if I were to win this contest.
Hack the forums to give more functionality. Hacks here, in abundance (http://www.vbulletin.org/)

snuffsaid
07-09-2003, 11:08 AM
The one thing I think would make this site better or even stand out from the other sites out there would be return reviews. Meaning 6 months after you reviewed this great new piece of hardware what happened with it? Did it turn into a piece of SHi*? Is it still working like the day you bought it? Has every new driver/bios flash created a new problem while fixing one of the old? Was it "compatible" with a new memory type or other hardware that wasn't yet on the market when you bought it and found out later it really wasn't?
The shelf life of a Mobo in my house is 3-6 months ( not that they die I just upgrade often and sell the old) but I have had some that worked great for 2 months and then the problems start. I have also had one last 4 years of utter abuse and it still runs great. You can call it "WTF Happened to it?" maybe even let some of the readers review.....

G Smith
07-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Well... I've read all the posts before mine and it seems everything I would suggest has already been added.

One suggestion that has already been mentioned that I think would add value to an already great site would be a Tweak Town recommended download page..Not the run of the mill downloads but the little jewels that many of us have found over the course of tweaking and playing.

I also notice Weta keeping the ATI and nVidia latest drivers up to data, but they could be arranged better on a seperate page and searchable. Perhaps listing known problems if they crop up in one release or another.

I for one have gained far more than I could possibly ever give back from this site.!! There is no way to improve on the heart and soul of the people that frequent it!!

If you could code that and smack it on a web page the world would be your oyster.....

Schutzstaffel
07-09-2003, 12:30 PM
I dont really know what much could be improved as it is already very good... but May be a News archive section in the left menu could be useful. May be change the Colors to have a new look if you feel bored of the same looking.
:argue: :shoot: :snip: :angel: :no:

falecomigo
07-09-2003, 01:26 PM
If there's something that i really dislike about web forums, but i don't know what you could do to adress this here in tweaktown, is the way people title their threads.
It's very time consuming when you are looking through the subjects and then you find something like "I nedd help" as a title for a thread. So you enter to read that post and that's something you don't know nothing about.
There should be some system that made the titles have some relevant informations about their subject so people wouldn't enter in a topic in which they are not interested in.
I don't know how you could create that, but i think that would be good.

minhacontano
07-09-2003, 01:35 PM
The only thing I could think about is a translation of the posts. I know it's impossible to do it manually, but some sites have links to the translation of their pages through babelfish or something like that.
You could add a button to translate your site in the babelfish engine.

JR007
07-09-2003, 01:52 PM
I believe that TweakTown is great right now, but one suggestion is to dive into the realm of software reviews. I have noticed that the site has great hardware reviews, so why not expand it to software also.

Second, maybe send out daily news report going on in the world of computers. Similar to what the show TechTV reports at the beginning of their show, 'The Screen Savers'.

Finally, it would be great to have a newsletter that talks about future products for computers. For instance I know serial ATA hard drives are out, but maybe discuss the pros and cons of future products, so therefore when we go and buy, lets say for instance a new hard drive, should we wait for serial ATA...items to that extend.

Hope it helps!!

Beefy
07-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Wow. A lot of interesting suggestions there. A couple of them are already implemented to a degree, but there's a lot of new stuff. Keep it up guys. :thumb:

I'd like to see some volunteers for things like news posts and stuff that actually have time of day to post regularly. :)

Bahamut Zer0
07-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Couple of things to improve on:
Clean-up of the Reviews page. Include the date the product was reviewed as well as its score, even the reviewers name.

When reviewing motherboards & CPUs, include temperatures when at stock setup, and include temps when overclocking. Never forget to mention what cooler is used either.

Feature request/suggestion:
File Hosting. Local speedy downloads from the TT server for utilities/demos and other files deemed fit for hosting @ TT.

GiMP
07-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Everything looks pretty good, I've been browsing TT since it's beginnings and it gets better and better every year. The only area that I think needs a little improvement is the amount or lack there of, of in house reviews and guides. Most available on the site are pretty old and I'd rather read a review or guide made by the editors of TT than another website linked to on TT's start page. So IMO less linkage more in house stuff.

Keep up the good work :cheers:

Bastille Day
07-09-2003, 03:11 PM
1. Thank you so much for removing the running total number of times members posted threads. I don't know if that was inadvertant when your server crashed (well, one of the times it crashed) or if it was a decision you made, but it has cut down on some members compulsive postings.

2. I would like to see a print-the-article feature like Anandtech uses. I like to read the articles in one fell swoop, rather that clicking from page to page.

3. I would like some uniformity in how often I have to sign in. On some visits it is once, today I had to re-sign in when I clicked from page one to page two of this thread. One time should be the goal.

4. When I've used your search engine, I have come up against having used too few letters. The MSI product search could have yielded results as opposed to Micro Star International not showing up results. It has been some time since I tried your search engine - if you've fixed it please forgive this suggestion.

5. Having an archive forum section with especially memorable threads or definative answers, as has been previously suggested, would make for interesting reading.

Keep the down home atmosphere. It makes this sight much more enjoyable than say - Ars Technica.

Mr.Tweak
07-09-2003, 06:23 PM
So far your suggestions are all simply wonderful and as you'll notice, I have already started implementing some of the ideas. The bigger site ideas will take more time, but you will see them appearing soon! :thumb:

Keep the suggestions coming people! :)

Thejup
07-09-2003, 07:37 PM
The main problem I experience when browsing the forums is that I have a slow 56K dial-up connection and all of the large picture files make it very hard to see the pages in any reasonable amount of time (it took me close to 5 min to load the first page in this discussion) So my suggestion is to make the large picture files into small, but still distinguishable, thumbnails that can be clicked on to load the larger more detailed picture. That way when browsing the forums it would not take forever to load the page, yet you would still be able to see the higher res pics if you wanted.
I know you are probably sitting there thinking that I should just get a broadband connection and stop complaining. I would if I could. I live in the middle of a 2-Hour drive of nonstop corn fields, which means that there is no way for me to get broadband. And I am sure there are many others like me that either have no access to broadband or no money to spare for it.
It might also help cut down on the amount of traffic on your servers by not using as much bandwidth and sending out smaller packets.
Well there you have it that is my ideas and constructive feedback for your site.

clubsport
07-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Hi :wave:

While I consider the site to be up to scratch
as it is. I think that it might need to be upgraded
to make it look more colourful and improve the
layout graphically with more icons, pictures and smiles
to choose from.

One good thing could be is to separate the motherboards
and graphic cards brands into their own section
which will be easier to find. :thumb:

Plus it will be nice if there were more reviews
on aluminium cases and top brand power supplies.

Last of all, I think you should add more of a variety of Avatars in the profile settings.

But overall well done tweaktown for a awesome site ;)

Cheers for now! :D

sweet
07-09-2003, 09:48 PM
About 5 months ago I was going to make my own machine. I needed reviews on motherboards like the ASUS P4T533 (R, C and no option). However none was to be found here. Iwas dissapointed by that since I expected to be able to search for any component and find good help.

So my suggestion is that you increase your archive of reviews to cover all components. And if you can't do that then if a member requests a review, or even help, then you get someone on the TT side to jump in and either do a review (if the component is that important but was just overlooked for a review) or give them a hand with any questions (if the component is not worth dedicating a staffer to a full review).

Well, that's my :2cents: :rolleyes2

Cheers :cheers:

-sweet

PS: you need more smilies :)

mastablasta
07-09-2003, 10:14 PM
My suggestions have to do with the Tweaking Guides you guys produce (which I have to say are excellent).

Would it be possible to produce a printable version of the tweaking guide - all on one page, and without the links on both sides, so that it is easy to save (just one file), and easy to print.

Also, on the last page of each guide, you have a Discuss in the Forums! link. Could you perhaps create a forum thread for the guide once it is created, and link that thread to the link you provide, so that all information, thoughts and questions about the guide are contained in one thread, reducing duplicate information and making searching on related topics much easier.

That's all I can think of atm. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: rewording

TheDudeWhoBe
07-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Hello , This is the first real tweak site i have really stayed with and find that layout and such rule . I am an avid gamer and love all the tidbits , not such the computer guy but you guys seem to make it interesting :blah: . Anywho ... i play on gamespy and it seems that the sounds they use to greet you and as you cycle through their site makes the site cooler because of the sounds . I am not an IT guy and do not know the needs of a sound generating page and if this is fesible in cost but , i think it would rock to hear an Aussi try to say my name .. You know GDay and all ..... lol It would sure set you guys apart from all the other gizmo gadget sites as more non- IT people are trying to fry their comps and we just love all the marketing shizzit that goes with it ... come on an orange power supply cover silly ( but gotta get me one ) ...............:beer:

picleo
07-09-2003, 11:39 PM
I think at times the site is too eliteist and should offer more help to those just getting into computers. Hey we want the site to live on.....

What about a special section for newbies to read. It could cover things like:-
1) what is overclocking and tweaking pro & cons etc
2) basics of tweaking and overclocking, what to read
3) an introduction to tweaking and overclocking
4) well you get the idea

cheers

Picleo:afro:

coindood
07-09-2003, 11:51 PM
This site was the first I found on google when I first built my computer, and the only one to stay on my favorites list.

There are a couple of things that would be nice to make the site top-of-the-line:

1. When looking for a certain review, it would be easier to have something like newegg.com's search ability, where you can search by price, rating, keyword, manufacturer, things like that. Take a look at how they make looking for a certain case out of the myriads of others.

2. Lots of sites use cookies (oh no!) to let the user customize the site, like shanging the colors or what-not. Though it sounds slightly frivolous, it just looks freakin' kewl.

3. The deals page. I guess that is a big (or small) contributor to your much needed cash flow (unless you're all millionaires). It can be a place to save money, but finding the deal seems to be harder than it should be. Add a search bar to find the deal by product and/or price. It would make life easier.

4. Lastly, don't disappear on me! I couldn't live without the site or the almighty forum!:thumb:

WildKrypto
07-10-2003, 03:41 AM
One of the gripes I've had with the site is how the archived guides and reviews are. Right now, the name of the product or guide is listed, along with the end score (ex., 8.5/10). However, the articles all lack dates. If dates were added to the end of the archives, it would relieve a lot of wasted time (as well as bandwith) on the part of people looking for recent reviews. For example, if I was searching for a heatsink/fan combo for a new computer, the reviews would be a great resource. However, a 9.5 heatsink made two years ago might be awful compared to even a moderate scored one recently. In addition, some other components like cases, memory, videocards, etc. might be discontinued. Also, especially in the case of memory, DDR400 reviewed when it first came out is very different from the DDR400 now (in terms of stability, quality, etc.). Anyway, it would be a great convienence to readers to have the dates of articles up front.

Rodolfo
07-10-2003, 05:18 AM
The name says it all: Tweaking is the thing of tweaktown, but I'm missing the news about graphic card drivers. I think, the real site for this is (until now) guru3d, but, the graphic card is in my opinion the number one part of tweaking a system todays.

So get more competence in graphic cards, that will bring a great improvement for me and I have only one site to check

: peace2:

Rolf

Bahamut Zer0
07-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Yay, more people than only myself are whinging about people with huge, stupid signatures. These forums are a nightmare to browse and i brought this up last year sometime but nothing was done and it just got worse. You can turn signatures off in the usercp guys. It makes it ALOT easier to read and follow a thread without the same huge picture showing up 5+ times a page under a 3 word post.

Disable pics in signatures and have a 4-line limit or something. Discuss it amongst your admin selves.
If you wanna see what happens if you let people go spastic with their sigs, try following a thread @ the 3dmark forums. Sheesh.

CBrownMorg
07-10-2003, 09:51 AM
:afro:

:afro:

Your site is Excellent! I have referred Tweaktown to about 50 people (3 logged on)

The only way I can see you guys making it better is by having follow ups to some of your previews. not just a follow up but a Preview Review and Look Back section where you break it down in categories within a 2 year increment. for example:

Pentium 4 2.4b Preview: then you talk about the chip
Pentium 4 2.4b Review: then you talk about it in real life usage
Pentium 4 2.4b a look back: This is for those who would rather wait until the item has come down in price and whether or not its worth even the discounted money.

I think this would garner you praises from manufacturers that actully make GOOD PRODUCT and from consumers who can't buy the latest in technology at the release date.

My two cents. Hopefully I can get a prize!!

Rody
07-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Tweaktown is already great I suggest that the site keeps an updated top 10 hardware list on the main page.

Master Toddy
07-10-2003, 12:59 PM
I'd like to see Tweaktown to more game tweaking guides. I think the guides that you currently have are very good and would like to see guides for more modern games.

sic1
07-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Well I just spent a bit and read all the suggestions and comments offered by everyone. There are some excellent ideas that could be incorporated into TT.

Some additional thoughts on the aformentioned comments:

-I initially thought about adding in user contributed Articles/Guides/Reviews based upon their experiences. Someone already mentioned that, but I felt the idea is an important part of the site.

-The product rating system would be nice as well. Perhaps this could be integrated with a user-contributed section (guides/reviews). I feel it is very important to base the decision on third-party insight and experience. If someone else has a suggestion about that new video card, or can confirm that the new video card won't work with my particular motherboard I would like to hear about it!

It's truly tough to think of what to add to TT to make it even better. :)

Hmm... perhaps a small section devoted to the latest drivers. First and foremost video card drivers (I believe they are updated on an almost regular basis). Next would come OS updates, then Sound (as sometimes these drivers conflict with the video hardware). These could be linked off site (to the manufacturer's page), and a comment system would be an added bonus.

Comments from other users saying "after installing the new Detonator xx.xx or Catalyst xx.xx my computer froze!"

A series of guides could also be created based upon helping the common pc user to update drivers. These could, of course, be user submitted guides.

The suggestions and comments are surely forcing us all to be creative and think, keep them coming everyone! :thumb:

Anthiron
07-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Well i am a new comer to your great webstie and i am impressed with the overclocking tutorials and wallpapers and the such.

There are a few things that i beleive that could be modified for the better and they are:

1. the side menus on the pages could benefit from scrolling with the page. due to the length of some of the pages i believe that being able to select your next destination without scrolling back up to the top would be a good improvment.

2. as has been mentioned in other peoples postings it would be nice to see a higher level of integration with your site...perhaps having a frame that stays present through all pages on the site with a menu that could take you any where you would like to go. I have seen this many times before and found it to be very effective.

3. perhaps having a downloads page with various useful programs to do with system performance or what not that can be downloaded from the site or from mirrors allowing you to keep users at your site for all their needs instead of redirecting them to off site links.

:thumb: :cheers: :beer: :drunk: :snip:

metallicat666
07-10-2003, 07:36 PM
increase the size of the links on the navigation bar and it will be easier for people to see the links

tidy the archives for the guides / articles etc so that it is easier to find specific guides

have more guides on teaking hardware and software

nitehawk
07-10-2003, 07:43 PM
Really i think the layout and design is damn near perfect i couldn't think of anything it needs to be honest. The only way tweaktown could improve is by doing my reviews, so i have more content to muse over.

stainXzero
07-10-2003, 09:09 PM
mmmmm.... still some things that could make the site and forums a little more user friendly.

on the main site, it should be set out a little differently. it'd be better if you could see both "Latest News" and "Latest Reviews" without scrolling because it make it easier to have a quick glance to see what news or reviews you have missed and sometimes there is alot of news and takes a while to get back up.

it'd also be good if you could select different styles on the main site itself, so a few different colour schemes wouldn't hurt either :)

on the forums you could install some hacks to make it easier to navigate as well. some hacks could also be some fun things like power level, karma, experience hacks :)

some things you could do overall on the forum layout is that you could move the private messages to the top and make a mini control panel that can tell you last login, any messages, some of the latest threads, style selection etc...

anyway, that's just my :2cents: worth :)

TC Machine
07-11-2003, 09:31 AM
I would suggest a "Troubleshooters Corner" where expert enthusiasts can offer help to users with specific hardware or Windows related problems. How often have we run into brick wall after installing some new device or software and needed the advice of technical help. The "Troubleshooters Corner" can be a chat-room style for instant answers to registered users.

This is something the internet has been crying out for, access to expert opinion at the touch of a button.

TC Machine : peace:

Wiggo
07-11-2003, 09:36 AM
TC Machine[/size]]
I would suggest a "Troubleshooters Corner" where expert enthusiasts can offer help to users with specific hardware or Windows related problems. How often have we run into brick wall after installing some new device or software and needed the advice of technical help. The "Troubleshooters Corner" can be a chat-room style for instant answers to registered users.

This is something the internet has been crying out for, access to expert opinion at the touch of a button.

TC Machine : peace: I thought that that was what the forums (www.forums.tweaktown.com) were for. :rolleyes2

Nosferatu
07-11-2003, 08:43 PM
I have only one small thingy; in the review section it would be nice if the date of the review was mentioned. If a cooler received a rating of 9/10 but it was reviewed in 2001 it is very well possible that a better cooler has been reviewed in the meantime.
other that that :thumb:

Nexus
07-12-2003, 03:16 AM
How about interviews with industry leaders from ATI or NVidia, AMD or Intel...or whatever?? You know just to get a heads up on whats commin down in the next couple of months. Or how how about more detailed how to articles from the trend setters in the mods dept.?? just a thought. CHEERS!

EvilElvis138
07-12-2003, 12:13 PM
There's only 2 things I can possibly think of that would make this site any better than it already is.

1. Change the forum colors. It seems like everybody uses these same XP-looking colors. Maybe have user-selectable skins. Something to stand out more.

2. Declare me the winner of this & all future contests. That would definately make for a more rewarding experience in my book :p :p :p

//alias
07-12-2003, 12:44 PM
im not sure if u mean the main website or the forums.
on loading teh main website i noticed it took quite some time.
i found out why too.
it is huge.
I think that you could cut down on things like putting images for news, and putting older news into an archive.
maybe you should put all the links on one side (preferably the left) and all linking images (ads) on the right?
as for the forums, i have always been very impressed with them, and on seeing some others in comparison, i must say that they dont really come close.
to enhance the forums, i think you should advertise it better on the front site.
Cmon. A bold, size 12 link to forums just doesnt cut it boys.

So, thar ya go! (ps pick me!)

//alias

AzNBoi
07-13-2003, 06:52 PM
wow i just joined and came across this topic to win some stuff ^^

1. The TT sites, are very slow loading, takes aprox near 2 minutes to load a page completely.

2. The TT homepage has to many main articles....it stretches down like 6-7 pages =O

3. Adding an option in forums to choose a certain colour scheme...i hate this grey colour, blue etc.

4. Having a downloads page for drivers, tweakin utilities and such.

Regards

AzNBoi (i want the MSI fx5600 ^^)

BaNgA
07-16-2003, 08:28 AM
how about if tweaktown does a deal with a few computer parts suppliers for a free button if they give discounts to tweaktown members , or something along those lines , maybe we could have a guest spot once a month for an amatuer reviewer to do a story on something they are interested in? How about for those ppl that are considering doing work in the IT industry we could have interviews with ppl who are in the area and speaking about what ppl can expect to deal with when they start in that job .? anyway i like the news setup at the front page so leave that and keep up the good work you guys !!!

JediAgent
07-17-2003, 07:23 AM
I agree with the colour scheming per user idea. And cooler flash integration would be nice.

Reviews should have a 1-10 scale placed by the reviewer, but also a rating voted on by members (yes members, not newbs) in a thread linked by the review. The page should read... 9.5/10 Editors choice... in that cool graphic you use... then a couter looking graphic that has the nearest decimal to which the voters in the thread have rated the product reviewed based on info given by the reviewer. Maybe it would be cool, i dont know, actually is beggining to sound dumb now that its written down...

Mexicano
07-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Well first at all thanks

Only couple of things

Another language options there is many users from anothers country like me I need some opinions in Spanish

And more hardware how tos

Cheers= Salud

ceeldee
08-03-2003, 07:38 PM
One thing you could consider is setting up a benchmark database which allows users to post results in a standardized way. I would think Sisoft SANDRA would be good because the standard version is available to everyone free of charge. Description of hardware including any special cooling/overclocking should be included. When I upgrade my harware I am always curious to see how it stacks up against similar configurations. Brief comments about satisfaction/dissatisfaction with the benchmarked hardware would also be useful.

sub780lime
08-04-2003, 10:46 AM
I need some opinions in Spanish

Hire me, i translate.

Storm
08-05-2003, 01:39 AM
TweakTown is a great site, I would probably visit it every day, if it weren't for the massive loading times while browsing with my 56k connection. My suggestion is to cut down the loading times by either creating a new faster layout (Not that is anything wrong with this version, it just takes ages to load.) or cut down the number and the size of the images around the site, such as the banner ads and the images in the news posts.

Also a download section would be great, as we could get all the tweaking utilities we needed for the guides, without having to leave TweakTown. The download section could also include programs recommended by the TweakTown staff.
I would also like to see some more guides on tweaking and pushing my system to the limit, also a few guides on things like modding would be nice.

An IRC channel, would also be a welcome addition as it would provide a place for users to get help as soon as they need it, or just to hang out and chat to other TweakTown users.

Another thing that would be nice is more regular news posts, other than that, keep up the good work. :D

-Storm

rsurfield
08-06-2003, 02:34 AM
The only significant improvement I could recommend to tweaktown is this:

For researching new gear, I typically ping my geeky friends, and ask them what they drool over. Then, I price that gear, and back off from there on a price/performance ratio until I find the ideal "sweet spot" for the component. I don't want to buy bleeding edge gear and pay through the nose, I just want the best performance I can get at a reasonable price. I also want to preserve upward compatibility, so I don't buy something I'll be tossing out in 9 months.

An example of this is the current state of video cards. Should I keep my MX-440se, or should I trade up to a Radeon 9XXX, or to the GeForce 5XXX series? This is a decision of tweakmost importance, requiring a lot of research and analysis.

Tweaktown could do that either of 2 ways; either let users vote for their current "best value" gear, or by computing a performance score based on benchmark software, and dividing it against the common street price. And of course, this could be database driven so that users can construct their existing machine profile, then add/change components out of the benchmarked toolkit, to see how well the tweaked machine would rate.

That's my two cents. Of course, Tweaktown seems to have tons of stuff that I haven't read yet, so if that's something you do already, my humble apologies. (and what's the url?)