Crackdown on software piracy will prevail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackdown on software piracy will prevail

I just read an article over at CDFreaks.com about crack-downs on software piracy. I often wondered why people would willingly share softwares if they're not making money from doing so. The article surely enlightened me and so will you.

Do you know why some warez sites are able to stay online for years?; it's because they are being used by cyber cops to monitor on who's using them. That's my theory anyways.

They're after the big guns, the big time dealers, the "Llamas," the hardened crackers, the macaroni of all spaghettis. Months of spying will eventually lead them to these organized groups and hopefully slow down the distribution of pirated softwares.

I know in the back of my paranoid mind that I'm on some FBI list already, and they're keeping tabs on me on how often I visit warez sites. I'm not too worried because I'm no Al Capone. I will start worrying about the Feds knocking at my door when warez sites start becoming like an endangered species; that's when they start harrassing the small guys; the warez people. :o

LOL!

Comment

Well, apart from a bit of paranoia, this is true to some degree.

Last month, several houses in my region were raided by the federal police at 3AM. Kicked the door down, took away all computers and discs that were around.

How did these people get traced? The FBI/Australian federal police set up a DivX server, and logged the IP addresses of those who downloaded. I don't know the laws in America, but in Australia ISPs must co-operate with law enforcement authorities when summoned with a warrant. These people were subsequently charged for downloading copyrighted movies.

So yes Erwin - you are correct that the likes of the FBI set up these servers specifically to bait people - but by and large they are going after the "big fish" - those who distribute unauthorised copies of software. What is a distributor? Anyone who runs a WaReZ site right down to people running P2P file sharing software!!!

Imagine this - if IP logs do exist on some P2P services, the FBI could get a court order and subpoena the lot of 'em. Then charge the users with criminal charges. This is possible, but likely to remain in isolated incidents..... for now.
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Crap, I remember downloading a movie from that setup divx server.
        I wonder if
        NO CARRIER...

:D

Setting up and taking down your average joe pirate isnt doing anything. Nobody is scared, and nobody really gives a rats arse

Arent privacy laws supposed to prevent these things from happening. (having someone(s) log and trace your online movement)

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamut Zer0
          Arent privacy laws supposed to prevent these things from happening. (having someone(s) log and trace your online movement)

IP logs are perfectly legal, but are not to be used for purposes where the individual can be identified... except... when the federal police of ASIO have a warrant. Queensland is the only state where police do not have the power to tap your phone line without a warrant - all other states they can tap your phone line for both voice and data freely :eek:

Comment

I think 99% of ppl on the net would be on the list in that case *scared???? I think not, we're only little fish*

Comment

Their logic is "cull from the top", get the big guys first then work your way down to the smaller fish :scream:

Comment

Well, in that case then it will take em years to get to the little fish

Comment

It's just like MP3 sites - shut one down and another ten spring up in its place. Black markets have existed for thousands of years now, I don't see them disappearing anytime soon

Comment

Nothing ever really changes over the years, does it?

Comment

Not everything stays the same Sis....... look at computer technology :)

Comment

it works both ways

Comment

But there are some people who welcome change and others that oppose it..... what category do you fall into? :?:

Comment

Both, depending on the situation at the time

Comment

Typical indecicive woman :no: :D

Comment

Working...
                              X