No announcement yet.

Who wants to be a hero? (XP networking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants to be a hero? (XP networking)

I had our gaming sessions working just fine, but then I fiddled and stuffed everything up, and now it seems impossible to get our network back online, if anyone can sort this out you will be a god in my eyes!!!!

We have linked two pc's, one running xphome and mine xp professional and we're linked through network cards (realtek 8029) and a serial(?) (the yellow cable, no hubs or switches, it's just us two). My mates computer has the internet connection, so his LAN connection is set:
    IP Address 192.168.0.1
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway and DNS are blank
    Mine is set at:
    IP Address 192.168.0.2
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway and DNS are blank
    The confusing thing is that I can use the internet on my computer THROUGH his, and grab HIS files and stuff, but he cannot see my shared files in the 'workgroup' or connect to my computer, even though his LAN Status shows that he is receiving information from me!

I have read the article on this website. Internet Connection Firewall is disabled (this isn't an invitation to you guys) and the 'Network Setup Wizard' doesn't seem to be working.
    I don't care about the internet connection, I just wanna play games (Battlefield 1942 was hell fun, Unreal II also kicks ass) and if ANYONE has ANY information, I would be so so so grateful!! PLEASE HELP ME!!! :shrug:

Simple test. Can you 'ping' from either computer to the other one? If so, then games will work fine.

Comment

Yeah thanks I have tried that through 'command prompt', it comes up with "Request Timed Out" on both of our computers when i ping the other IP Address, yet I can still access files on his computer. I've also done the 'Network ID' in the 'System Properties' on my computer and set it to MSHOME, but not on his as i can't see 'Network ID' on his XPhome.

Thanks for the message, appreciate it. Any other ideas?

Comment

From what it looks like you manually entered those values, right?
        I would suggest running the network wizard.
        also is the cable you;re using a crossover? or just regular patch cable?
        Since your mate has internet, he should be 192.168.0.1, which looks like he is, but you should have 192.168.0.1 as your gateway to access internet.

HTH

Comment

I just spent 30 bucks and bought a new network card, plugged it in and everything worked perfect first go! So it's all good now, just wanted to thank you guys for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X