OpenOffice.org 1.1 Final released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenOffice.org 1.1 Final released

Open Office 1.1 RC was released last week...personally, I think this open source Office Suite easily rivals M$ Office :D
    [b] OpenOffice.org 1.1 RC is the release candidate of the revolutionary OpenOffice.org 1.1. It is ready for general use and we encourage everyone to download the application now. OpenOffice.org 1.1 RC replaces our legacy build, OpenOffice.org 1.0.3.1, which lacks the new features making OpenOffice.org 1.1 the best office suite. OpenOffice.org 1.1 RC not only includes those features introduced in 1.1beta, such as export to PDF, SWF, DocBook, PDA Office file formats, improved on-line Help, but also:
    # The ability to update existing OpenOffice.org 1.0.x single user installations
    # Integrated Bitstream Vera fonts
    # Support for MicrosoftTM Excel 95 and older form controls
    # Built-in proofing tools and hyphenation for numerous languages
    more info and downloads here: OpenOffice.org

OpenOffice.org 1.1 RC Features

Thanks minibubba! I'm downloading that tonight when I get home!:cheers:

Comment

Thanks from me as well minibubba!
      Just a note to those who use this great free program: Not sure if my installation problems are typical but I did run into some problems updateing the old OO with this new one. Short cuts were messed up ect. Wound up uninstalling the whole thing and doing a full install.
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg
        Wound up uninstalling the whole thing and doing a full install.
        Yes that's usually the best, good luck. :)

:cheers:

Comment

just read this interesting article about how to convince a business/corportation to switch to OpenOffice

It's worth the read and also gives some interesting points for anyone thinking about trying it

Comment

OpenOffice.org 1.1 RC2 has been released: http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/1.1rc2/

[b]OpenOffice.org 1.1 RC2 provides some minor updates to OpenOffice.org RC. Windows 98 users will find the installation proceure easier. OpenOffice.org 1.1 replaces our legacy build, OpenOffice.org 1.0.3.1. OpenOffice.org 1.1 RC not only includes features such as export to PDF, SWF, DocBook, and improved on-line Help, but also:
            # Existing single-user installation update capability
            # Integrated Bitstream Vera fonts
            # Built-in proofing tools and hyphenation for many languages
            # Better Microsoft Office filters

Comment

another OOo 1.1 release client, this time RC3 has been released :D It seems to be just minor updates to RC2.

OOo 1.1 RC3 specifics and download servers can be found here:

OOo 1.1 features can be found here:

Comment

it appears the OOo group wants their final 1.1 release to be as close to perfect as possible. They have released yet another RC, this time RC4.

The official home page of the Apache OpenOffice open source project, home of OpenOffice Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw and Base.

[b]What does OpenOffice.org 1.1 RC4 include? The same as RC3: Tested features such as export to PDF, SWF, DocBook, and improved on-line Help, but also:

* Many bugs fixed
                * Existing single-user installation update capability
                * Integrated Bitstream Vera fonts
                * Built-in proofing tools and hyphenation for many languages
                * Better Microsoft Office filters
                Download Sites
                OpenOffice.org 1.1 rc4 Features

They must be getting close to the final product since they released an SDK this time:
                [b]The Software Development Kit (SDK) for OpenOffice.org 1.1 RC4 is ready for all developers. It provides code samples, extensive documentation, and very useful guidance for any developer wanting to work with the OpenOffice.org source.
                OpenOffice.org 1.1 RC4 SDK

Comment

yet another RC has been released... seems the OOo is taking a lot of care before releasing the final version.
                  [b]OpenOffice.org 1.1 Release Candidate 5 is now available for download. We have Linux, Windows, and Solaris (Sparc) ready in English. Other platforms and languages will come soon. This release is nearly our final release but we need to make sure. Therefore:

* Download OpenOffice.org 1.1 RC5 if you want to test and help finalize this important release. File an issue if you find a bug.
                  * Download OpenOffice.org 1.0.3, our stable legacy build, if you are not interested in the new features and enhancements present in 1.1 RC5.
                  It can be downloaded here: http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/1.1rc5/

Comment

Hey maybe one should dl and try that thingy on a spare machine just for the hell of it. :)

But do it really have all the sweet features that M$ Office has? I only use aprox 25 percent of the features within Word & Excel myself while my gf and her heavy law studying work easily uses around 85-90.. My eyes can't even keep up when she starts working in blistering speeds with all the friggin' diagrams, frames, formulas and whatnot.. lol

And what about stability just as good as M$? Not to mention the compability, if one puts in several hours in a work and then email it to alot of important people who is using M$ then it just got to work flawless.. :)

:cheers:

Comment

you can have it co-exist on the same machine as M$ Office. Only thing you have to do is tell OOo not to become the default app for M$ Office files.

As for features, it certainly does have all the features, but it is redisgned. OOo does take a little getting used to though; but it's been my experience that once people get used to it they like the layout much better than M$ Office. Don't get me wrong, OOo isn't hard to use at all... it's just a little different than the M$ Office so many people are used to. The only feature that I am aware is lacking, is the use of macros. But that was with 1.03... I'm not sure what has been done with it in 1.1 *EDIT: OOo 1.1.0 does support Macros now, and supports them well :)

Compatablity is also great. I read and write M$ docs almost daily and I havn't had a problem yet. Athough I prefer the standard OOo file types, it's not a problem to open and save docs as M$ Office file types.

I'd just recomend that you co-install OOo with M$ Office until you are comfortable with it and hopefully it will completely replacce M$ Office for you as it has for me. OOo is free and doesn't take up much HDD space, so you don't have anything to loose by trying it. :)

Comment

i have loads of job of writing huge articles or other project work for my college/hospital and i use OOo on my Linux install for all this work now.
                        i simply love the feature where it offers me loads of words while i m typing. i don't know what that this feature is called but on 99% of times it guesses correctly as to what i want to write and its just a hit of enter key from there. it has reduced my writing times to around 70-75% of what it used to be.
                        MS should see this feature. i know the "Auto Complete" feature is there in Word too, but it doesn't offer lot of words and i am too lazy to configure it specially for this job.
                        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                        Last Updated:
                        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                        ======================
                        jabber : [email protected]
                        =======================
                        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                        yabaa dabaa doo...
                        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

<center>

OpenOffice 1.1 Released</center>

OpenOffice.org 1.1 can be downloaded now. It represents months of testing, improvement, innovation. There is no other office suite like it, either in terms of features or code. And it's free. Right now, it's only availble in English. Different languages will be ready shortly.

The list of new features since 1.0 is long. We have put together information that will help the curious understand why this is such an important release.
                          # Press Kit
                          # OpenOffice.org 1.1 Features
                          # OpenOffice.org 1.1 Download Sites

OpenOffice.org

Comment

Working...
                          X