PDA

View Full Version : Paper washers in mobo kit?!?!?!?

chezman
07-15-2003, 09:57 AM
This is a first for me and I have built a ton of computers. Hopefully someone can help.
In the bag with the mobo risers(forget the real name) it came with paper washers.
Does anybody know what they are for?

I'm in the middle of putting it together so if anybody has a quick answer that would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Chez

amd_man2005
07-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Ive had a few systems with those too, I think all they do is sit between the top of the screw and the mobo, to help prevent damage to the mobo

FLaCo
07-15-2003, 11:07 AM
Thats what i thinking...but doesn't the metal of the screw HAVE to touch the mobo? I never used them...prolly because i dunno how either.:shrug:

amd_man2005
07-15-2003, 11:19 AM
Actually, Im 95% sure, as long as the bottom of the mobo is hittin the standoff, ya ok.

FLaCo
07-15-2003, 11:19 AM
Actually, Im 95% sure, as long as the bottom of the mobo is hittin the standoff, ya ok.

o ya...thats cool...new one for me...i always thought they had to be touching...

Darthtanion
07-15-2003, 11:25 AM
The fiber grommet is for keeping the motherboard from grounding out when touching the metal standoffs. This isn't too much an issue anymore but used to be. If you ever have a newly built system that powers on for about 1 secone and then immediately powers back down again, it is most likely a grounding issue. These grommets are just the ticket to get you up and running in no time.

kane2g
07-15-2003, 12:10 PM
Gee, I thought that the ATX connector would get you a good ground.

chezman
07-15-2003, 12:34 PM
I figured that is what they were for. Although all the new mobo's come with the round silver grounding thing around the screw, so I was a bit baffled as to why they would want you to use them so the mobo WASN'T grounded.
Oh well, I already put it together and left those out.

It was my 4th build today and had "builders block" so I thought I would come "home" to my computer family :group: and ask away.

Thanks guys!!:

Wiggo
07-15-2003, 06:22 PM
kane2g[/size]]
Gee, I thought that the ATX connector would get you a good ground. It's not really a groundin' issue but a shorting one which seems to be caused mainly by ppl who put screws in far to tight though sometimes they're caused by manufacturin' faults. :beer:

maximus7001
07-21-2003, 10:03 AM
They come in handy for testing borrowed pci and agp stuff. Most stores have the no scratch policy.