xp install problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xp install problem

I am having a problem installing xp pro on my comp. when i install it does not load all the files, diff. ones each time. i seem to be able to load ME alright but XP fails each time. I'f put it on my other puter with no problem. I was told I might have a bad stick of MEM. is there any way of checking this. I would be gratful for any help THANK'S

Your XP CD may be bad, especialy if ME loads up no prob

Comment

Are you doing a "clean" install. In otherwords on a formated harddrive, or trying to upgrade.
      Upgrading is where you will run into problems. If you format while installing XP and are having problems, the answer may be above - a bad disk.

It can also be that the specs of your computer don't meet the minimum specs of XP, whereas they are different than for ME.

Good luck,
      Chez

Comment

MemTest86 is the original self booting memory testing software for x86 and ARM computers. Supporting both BIOS and UEFI, with options to boot from USB.

u can download a booteable Cd-rom iso from here to test your memory

Comment

also make sure that system is not OCed at all, as that may be why you having issues :thumb:

Comment

I'm using a upgrade cd dont have full this disk installed find on my other computer. I'm using it now . I installed win/ME then upgraded after formating and checking disk. Could not afford the full copy.

Comment

so u know, u dont have to use that as uan upgrade. U just need to make sure u have a preivous microsoft OS installed on your system for it to work. By this I mean u don't need to upgrade through installing in windows, u can boot into the cd and do a fresh install with the format as long as there is a copy os a microsoft os already there.

Comment

if you are first installing 9x or me and than installing XP on top, youll have issues.
                What you do is just blow away the partition, make a new one with NTFS and install XP. At one point its going to ask you to put in a CD of 9x to verify and will continue on installing CLEAN xp.
                HTH :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                X