Drives Needed for ATA133?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drives Needed for ATA133?

For the raid u would be best to attach drives at IDE 3 and 4. The onboard controllers tend to not co-operate with Optical drives so your best bet is to attach all IDe drives to IDE chanells 3 an 4 and leave the room for your Optical drives under 1 and 2.

However, if u do this u will requrie a re-install of your OS assuming u use xp or 2k.

So u know, just because a drive is attached to the raid channel, it does not necessarily need to be part of a raid. As an example, on one of my boxes, i have 3 optical drives attached to channel 1 and 2. i then have 4 IDE drives hooked up to the raid controller. I have it set so 2 drives are stripped, and the other 2 are independant.

EDIT: your booteable drive does not need to be attached to the primary IDE. It can be attached to any channel as long as u specify in the bios what u want to boot from, ie: boot from RAID/SCSI or boot from HDD

Comment

thanks for replying!

So Ven, you mean i can move all my Drives, from IDE 1 and 2 to IDE 3 and 4? I thought you need two Hard Disk Drive for you run RAID?

So basically, this what gonna happen. My HDD will go to IDE3 and the DVD-ROM and CD-R/RW to IDE4, but will it work though?

According to manual of PROMISE RAID, (this what it says on the manual) "RAID Funtion of the mainboard supports striping (RAID 0) or Mirroring (RAID 1) for master only. Please note the function supports hard disk drives

Comment

u cant place the optical drives on IDe 3 and 4, only hdd's.

Depending on how u set your drives up, ie if u stripe them, then they will be faster. Otherwise there will be no change is speed.

U can specify in the bios if u want to set the raid controller as a raid controller or if u simply want it to act as a 3rd and 4th IDe channel withouth the raid function.

Comment

Comment

So i can only placed HDD's on IDE 3 and 4 not Optical drives.
            Correct.

Right now I am using single HDD which is attached to IDE1, can I move that drive to IDE 3, without buying another HDD?
            yes.

whats stripe means
            To stripe u need at least 2 drives. What it does is creates a raid that shows the 2 drives as 1 large drive. So if u had 2 80gb drives that were stripped, they would show as 1 160. The advantage here is that half the data is being written to each drive. So if u had a 50meg file, it wuold copy half to each drive taking half the amount of time to do so while keeping the file complete. However, if 1 drive goes down, u lose all info since hald of the info was on each drive. Half the info is useless.

Comment

thanks ven

Comment

Working...
              X