Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a free linux that I can use?

Dead accta
    Last edited by drxploder; 05-04-2014, 06:36 PM.
    Nothin.

what is the problem that you are getting in installing windows and i didn't understand the requirement either.
    why can't u format your hard drive with a bootdisk or a windows CD and install it straight away.
    imo you might not be able to install windows from a linux install because you will be needed to execute a .exe file (setup.exe) but linux does not support it.
    tell us ur problem in detail and we will be more helpful.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Windows won't load all of the way. When windows is trying to start it says Windows protection error. I want a linux that i can install and then through that I can install windows. I couldn't use my windows cd to install so I put it on the hard drive. I don't want to have to reformat but that is a last resort.
      Nothin.

Comment

well there are probly 3 things that you can do here..

1. go to the libary or a friends house that has windows and make a startup disk (floppy)

2. chage your bios so it looks the cd-rom before the hd i had to do that to get my linux to intall becuse it would load the HD with windows and then the cd-rom

or 3. you mite be able to get disk druid in lunix to do that i think its comes with red hat

allso just to let you know all lunix is free you just have to download it

plz write back and tell me if that helps you

Comment

I think his problem has been solved:
          http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...968#post162968

Comment

just making sure here, but aren't all linux distros free?

Comment

most of them are...but not all if them

Lindows is about $50, I think SuSE is $70 something, RedHat is free unless you want support,...there may be others that requie money but I'm not sure

I think you can install SuSE via FTP for free but you dont get ISO's that way, although it does have a 'live-eval' which lets your run SuSE off a CD to see if it is to your likeing (i'm actually downloading the SuSE 8.2 live-eval as I type this)

while most distros offer Linux free to indivduals, if you want to use it in a business envrionment then you are supposed to pay for it

check out this site to download almost any flavor of linux you want: http://www.linuxiso.org/

Comment

The thing is that Windows must be loaded 1st b4 any Linux software (most are available for free unless ya want support) except in the case of usin' a boot loader such as System Commander (but that costs as well though it does an excellent job).

Comment

I went to the Linux ISO website that minibubba linked to and then to the Mandrake from there. I downloaded the 1st insall CD ISO of Mandrake 9.1. This I did during the day here in Michigan.

Then the next evening I started the 2nd download of the mandrake 9.1 ISO and went to bed. The next day I had 2 viruses on my computer and a backdoor Trojan. Norton found and removed them during a full scan. I managed to delete nasties in the registry of the johnqpublic.gamerzirc.net and referrences to it and the 52k "startup menu" program it also must have installed.

I downloaded and now use a program called Protect X for protection against hackers and Trojans.

What has all this to do with Linux?

Last night I started the download of the final CD3 ISO of Mandrake 9.1 but now with Protect X running in the background. I've been 4 days without so much as any activity on the log from Protect X.

I get up this morning and find that there were 3 attempts with logged IP addresses during the download.

My guess... perhaps a hacker knows that a 650MB file takes a long time to download and keeps a computer connected for a long duration. It might be easier just to slip in during the downloading process and go un-noticed. Kind of like you have movers bringing in furniture, and while your door is open for the movers to keep the flow of boxes, etc comming into your home, a burglar slips in with the group and manages to leave behind a "get in for free" pass and then quietly leaves.

Just a guess, but does that make sense to you? Should I alert the Mandrake site that this might be happening, or is it just a fluke thing?

Comment

did u perform a whois with the IP address that was logged?
                    i downloaded 3 CD's of Mandrake, 3 CD's of Redhat and 1 CD of Slackware on a 64KB connection and it took me really long time to get these CD's but i never experienced anything like this. I have AVG and Sygate installed, so if there would have been anything like this happening they would have told me.
                    were you downloading these files from credible mirrors. i chose mirrors from the respective official sites and thus was sure that i m not downloading from some ass' FTP server.
                    check mandrake's site and see whether the mirror from which you downloaded is present in the list of mirrors. if it is...then you should inform them that things like this are happening. save those logs of Protect X, as it will help you in proving that you were really attacked and you are not making it all up.
                    even if it is not on Mandrake's list, you should inform Linux ISO website that some FTP server people are doing things like this.
                    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                    Last Updated:
                    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                    ======================
                    jabber : [email protected]
                    =======================
                    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                    yabaa dabaa doo...
                    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I've downloaded more than a few gigs from linuxiso.org and never had a single problem like this or anything else. I don't really know what to tell you, except to inform linuxiso of what happened :shrug:

Comment

I did go to the linux.org website and told them of what had happened. Sounds strange, I know, but what apparently happens is that ports are probed during long periods of internet connection seacrching for a reply back.. like a ping. Sometimes, one can sneak in, under the wires, so to speak and leave a key for access back in.

I use a program (now) called Protect X and appears to have helped immensly. Time of actual download of this or these files may have also been a factor. The suspicious party was from China. I have name and phone and fax number thanks to Protect X. A downoad during my night time and early morning, would have been different time in China.

Just a thought, but yes, I did leave some information at the linux org site, and the site may not be a place of source, but rather the lengthy download I did from there would have presented an "opportunity" to do a little port probing and prodding and perhaps quietly slip in un- noticed.

BTW, the Mandrake 9.1 is outstanding!! *S*

Just wish I had the savy to configure it for connecting to the internet with the direcway satellite.

vern

Comment

Working...
                        X