Storm came thru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm came thru

Well on tuesday morning, a "servre thunderstorm" *cough*tornado*cough* came thru the memphis area taking out power to at least 300,000 people in the city. unfortunatly i was included in those people, so i lost alot of folding time while i was down and brithmus got away from me in the process. the winds here were reported to be at least 60 mph plus. it completely uprooted alot of trees that were old in the area. it even left a limb on the roof over my room.there was only one death reported from were a man was sleep in his room and a tree fell over and landed on him in his house. other than that everything i returning back to normal. electricity is one of the thingd tat alot of people take for granted and don't relize how unprepared they are without it

i know how you feel. we have storms rolling thru every after noon now that the monsoons are here in AZ, we lost power the other day and when it came back on I was unable to get one machine to boot, even tho I had the power to all the surge protectors offline, so I was forced to frag and reinstall windows on teh damn thing!!! The power goes out so often out here I think I might just take peoples advice and get a generator!!!

Comment

When I heard about the latest storms, with the tornados and flooding in some areas, I wondered if anyone in the TT community was affected. Now, TwistedMovistar, you have answered the question. Glad you're ok. Was brithmus one of your comps?
      :-(

Comment

I believe it was a competitor...one place ahead of twisted!

Comment

We had really bad flooding here about 2wks ago, But luckily i dont live near any big rivcers etc.

Comment

as soon as i had dumped about 15 to gain back my 27th spot , i was disturbed out of my sleep when the limb hit(i am a heavy sleeper) so i get up about 30 mins later and i knew the lights were out cause my room was silent, usually there is a volcano 9 humming along with the hard drive at 3000 rpms. brithmus was the one that i was keeping up with at the time, now it looks like it will be a minute before i catch hime , even thou it only take me 2hr and 30 mins(2 h and 20 if no music is playing) and for him it says 10 hours, i think that he has a few computers going for him compared to my one(other comp needs a cheap harddrive). so i have to worry about clark kent comming up from behind if anything.

Comment

I'm only a 6 hr drive from memphis...much less in a strait line

those storms came through here first but from the sound of it, it was MUCH nicer to us...seeing as no one died and not that many people lost power....I know I didn't

but living on the edge of 'tornato alley', one gets used to having server storms on a regualr basis

Comment

i live in the south part of memphis, and we have never seen ANYTHING like this before. my granddaddy says that this is the worst of storms that the weather station say is a "servre thunderstorm" he has ever seen in his 30+ years of living here. the storm hit downtown the hardest, blowing out windows all across the city was not common. there is a crane downtown where they were building a new stadium for the memphis grizzles(sucks) and it is at least 300 feet high and leaning at a 10 degree angle. and it is not sure if it is gonna fall. today you can't even go to a gas station without cars lined up in the streets looking for gas and ice. we had to go to mississippi to get some ice and that is not a short drive. most of the city lights are out and people really can't drive, so they automatically think they have the right away cause there street is bigger, the city is a mess. trees are still down in the middle of the streets so you ma have to detour about 3 times just to get to one location. i heard not to long ago that a 2 year old died from carbon monicide being givven off by a generator being used inside a car port, the rest of the family of 6 are at the hospital, that only a select few have electricty right now. Sorry for the long post, just alot to say and alot to share

Comment

Ahh, yes. Brings back memories of Hurricane Andrew back in 1992. Those were desperate times! :tears:
                  :-(

Comment

freaking IE...had my post all ready and it bit the big one when I wanted to his post reply....gonna bring opera in here to work one day....M$ morons...

anyways as I stated in the post I lost, I've been getting thunderstorms here pretty much daily too and have had to reformat now twice within a week with the most recent being last night because I wasnt home when they've hit with power surges/outages....gonna invest in a UPS shortly because of this garbage and hope its better at dealing with this than the stupid surge protector...but I smartened up today and have the damned thing off lol. Should get my but in gear and use norton ghost as well as I always mean to make a copy so I dont have to keep doing this but never get around to it.

Comment

Thank Christ I'm outa the Sydney basin now with its unpredictable weather. : party ha

The cooler climate up here is much better and heavy frosts don't stop me crunchin'. :devil win

Comment

Sucks about the storms, but it's Bithmus not Brithmus.
                        Your going to have to work pretty hard to catch me. I only have 1 computer, but it only takes me about 2hr 30min to do a unit. The reason it says 10hrs is because back in the day I was using my 600mhz computer to crunch them and it hasn't averaged out yet.

Good luck to ya though.

Comment

Soz guys but here's a pertanent number for ya's. :D

Comment

i think that i will catch ya cause every now and then i get down to about 2h 15m if i let it sit. if i don't pass ya i can hang with ya and we can climb the ranks together. one behind the other.

Comment

you win.

Comment

Working...
                              X