• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placing temp probes

Hello there,

I am planning on buying a DigiDoc 5 system to keep my
    temps in check. I do have one question left;
    What is the best way to place a temp probe.

Everybod is talking about placing it near the side of the CPU,
    but isn't it better to drill a small hole through the heatsink
    and let the probe make contact with the center of the cpu?

I would have to disagree, the best thing is place on side as close to the die as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosferatu
      isn't it better to drill a small hole through the heatsink
      and let the probe make contact with the center of the cpu?
      By drilling a hole through the heatsink, you would be compromising it's effectiveness. Heat spreads evenly when produced by the processor's core, so by drilling a hole through the center portion of it, the heat won't transfer evenly outward in that portion of the sink. Also consider the size of the hole that you would need to cut in order to fit the probe through to the core.

Just my personal opinion, but bad call.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Ok I've got my DigiDoc. And after the fun of installing it, I wanted to check my temps.
        But there is a large difference between the temps from DigiDoc and the Asus software.

GF3: 28 C (idle), 49 according to Smart doctor
        CPU:29.5 C (sort of idle), 41 accoridng to PC Probe.

I know Asus has ****ty software, but I can't believe it is this bad.
        BTW I also installed a Crystal Orb on the Geforce.
        I placed the sensors under the heatsink as close to the processor as possible. Well it can be closer, but then they would be between CPU and heatsink, and I don't think that is correct.

Can anyone tell me if these temps are OK or that I have to find a better way to install the sensors?

Comment

Originally posted by Nosferatu
          I know Asus has ****ty software, but I can't believe it is this bad.
          Believe it. :(

As to installing the probes, I place the tip of the probe so that it is butted up against the core that I'm reading from. It is also a good idea to have it positioned at a 90 degree angle to the core since the actual probe in the plastic is at the very tip. This will help make sure that you get accurate results.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

I also have a probe and it says 40.9 and motherboard monitor says 37

Comment

Thanks. I am going to build a special wooden case for my PC so I am probably gonna check those sensors when making the final installation. But for now I will trust the Digidoc.

Comment

Working...
              X