Folding@home servers down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding@home servers down?

anyone else out there with F@H not able to connect to the work servers? I've been trying to upload my last WU for over 12 hrs. Anyone else having a problem or is it just on my end?

The F@H site doesn't have a "Server Status" link, which would be helpful. :shrug:

Is there only a screensaver version of the program? How long does it take for a work unit?
    :-(

Comment

there is 3 different versions
      -the 'Graphical Client' that is basically an app that runs in the background with an icon in the system try with will open a window giving you the status of the WU

- the 'Screensaver' version is like the first one but only runs when the screensaver is launched and so it will only run when the PC is idel

-there is also a command line version as well for people that want a more hands-on approach but as far as I can tell it doesn't improve performance any

I use the Graphical version for simplicity and so it will run 24/7 or as often as I wish...I'm really not to fond of screensavers...

as for how long a WU take, well it can vary a good bit as not all F@H WUs are the same size. It's not like seti where you can chop up a long recording into equal sizes and send it to lots of comps for processsing. This is dealing with protien folding or the human genome (if you use the genome@home part of the client, which I do) which results in a variety of WU sizes. In the futrue I think they have plans to send WUs depending on the CPU involved. So so duron would get a smaller WU than a Athlon XP. But for now they don't do that and so I get WU that can take anywhere from 5-9 hours to crunch when the comp is dedicated. But it's not dedicated to F@H unless I'm sleeping since the only comp I've got it running on is my main Rig...but I've got plans to build a dedidcated machine later on

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg.../download.html

Comment

apparently there is a server status page that i didn't know about:

http://folding.stanford.edu/serverstat.html

there are a few that are offline, maybe my client is justr trying to connect to one of them :shrug:

EDIT: I looked though the log and found the server that I keep getting assigned to: 171.64.122.107 which was changed from assign & accept to accept only just before I finished my WU last night...figures....

now I've just go to see if I can change my assigned server somehow...everytime I restart the client I get the same server

Comment

Sorry m8 but my lost relo's need to know about about . ;)

Comment

Wiggo, if I thought i had a chance in hell to convert you to anything other than SETI I would have tried already :laugh:

although out of all 16 of those comps you've got sitting around, would it hurt to use one or 2 for something else? Na, you've got to let your relatives know what their missing in your brew :p :laugh:

:cheers:

Comment

it's working again :bounce:

since I was curious i desided to launch it in the console and i was able to see how big the file was:

511203 bytes (499.2 KB) decompressed to 2524929 bytes (2.4 MB)

so how does that compare to SETI@home?

installed F@H on another comp just 10 minutes ago and it's file was 542698 bytes (530 KB) decompressed to 3588921 bytes (3.4 MB) ...too bad it is a slower machine, so like I said the WU can vary a bit

Comment

The SETI@home work units are 348 KB. The world wide average (over the past 24 hours) is 9 Hrs 9 Mins. per unit. The best in our group is under 2 hrs/WU. The team page, which is linked in my sig shows everyone's average imets.
                :-(

Comment

Working...
                X