Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future directions of SETI@home

This is from a page at the SETI@home web site:

The current SETI@home search will wind down over the next year or so. However, we are working on new projects that will continue to use the computer power of millions of volunteers to further SETI and other scientific research. Our plans include the following:

For the full story: Future directions of SETI@home

Our Australian teammates will undoubtedly take lots of pride in participating in the Southern hemisphere client. ;)
    :-(

Yes I think that I've mentioned before about Parkes comin' online soon and with its 13 focal points it'll be able to gather more data in less time plus cover a larger area than the Arecibo unit.

Comment

so with seti winding down, will we switch to folding or will we switch to a new project if there is one? hopefully we will switch to a new project so that we can start fresh.

Comment

We can go in whichever direction we wish. I, for one, will head for the new version of SETI@home when it arrives.

Comment

i think that i will follow youm the new version of seti will loose all of aur current stats right? i would love to be apart of a team starting a new program from the start.

Comment

Affirmative. Everyone will start out from scratch. That will make things more interesting. We've got interesting times ahead. ;)

Comment

Yes I'll be goin' over to the new southern project seein' as Parkes is just a few hours inland from me.

Comment

I wonder how the new WU's will stack up compared to the old Seti? I wonder if they are going to be about the same size and such??I just hope I catch and pass Kane before the old one runs out!!!! it would suck to be in 3rd grrrrrrrr:?: I am also happy that they have decided to let us choose what our computers are analyzing! Anyone have any idea when this is supposed tocome online? it said early '03...and we are past mid '03 now....hhhmmmm

Comment

Thay projected a start of SETI@home client for BOINC in October of 2003 and the start of Southern hemisphere client in January of 2004, but the schedule is subject to change. The SETI@home data server is projected to end at the beginning of November of 2003, so there will be a gap before the Southern hemisphere client starts.

A third new client AstroPulse (on BOINC) is projected to kick off December of 2003. And I quote from their page: "NOTE: This timeline is only an estimate and is subject to change."

So, as you noted, we have a choice of clients. Other details have not been provided. : peace:

Comment

ok i know that we all love the way that seti crunches and the utilities that go along with it, and also the competition that goes along with it. seeing that we have a folding team now and that it goes to a good cause, would you all consider going to folding when seti runs out? afterall we would still be together and it is a fresh start anyone?

Comment

As I stated here, I'd be goin' over to the southern hemishere project (which I'd start the TT Team myself this time) but my Linux trails maybe goin' to Foldin'@home if they have a suitable Linux client.

Comment

I will be stickin with Seti, I might devote a machine or two to the Folding but I will have to check it out and see if its worth the power consumption, if not then back to seti! been doing it for over a year and I should have started ages before....

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedMovistar
                          ok i know that we all love the way that seti crunches and the utilities that go along with it, and also the competition that goes along with it. seeing that we have a folding team now and that it goes to a good cause, would you all consider going to folding when seti runs out? afterall we would still be together and it is a fresh start anyone?
                          now that has got to be the best idea I have heard all week :thumb: ...but I know these guys love their s@h so I'm not gettting my hopes up ;)
                          <center>:cheers: </center>

Comment

Another reason I'll mainly stay with S@H is that it keeps a constant load on the CPU and suits my stress testin' on new PC's with 3DMark '01SE loops.

Comment

Ill stick with SETI@home for sure,

Comment

Working...
                              X