gettin under the 2 hr mark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gettin under the 2 hr mark?

ok i have been wordering if anyone has dipped under the magic 2hr crunching mark, i got all so close at 2h 8 mins earlier but not good enough for me. what are the key componets to get under that? p4 or athlon xp. it is about time for a new system anyway.
    list what you think it takes. Overclockin is welcome but keep in mind air cooling. let the setups roll

My XP2600+ @ 2.26GHz averages 2hr 7mins but about 1 in 6 w/u's just dips under the 2hr mark while a few will blow out to 2hr 20mins under very heavy use.

Setup:
    XP2600+ set at 12.5 x 180MHz
    Volcano 7+
    8RDA+
    2 x 256MB Corsair XMS3500 with timings set as aggressive as the BIOS will allow.
    40GB WD JB400
    128MB Leadtek GF4Ti4200 My VIVO
    LiteOn 48x16x48x CDRW and LiteOn 16x DVD
    Logitech Z-560 speakers
    UNEEC server case w/ window and 5 x blue LED fans

Comment

this is what HOS was doing almost every unit before I added all my junk to the drive...now it gets about 2.1/WU, I almost want to delete everything and just let it run alone!

1:57 time

Comment

is it safe for me to build a 2.8c p4 and oc it a little and expect a time of under 2hr? is this a safe shart to go on?

Comment

sorry forgot the graph

Comment

There's only one way to find out ain't there? :devil win

Comment

well sorta .. i am sure someone has used a p4 2.8 to crunch. if i were to buy that setup and it didn't work, that would be a costly mistake. i am trying to avoid that at all cost

Comment

I have a 2.53 P4 in an Epox 4g4a+ MoBo, o/c'd to 2.945 Ghz, Maxtor 6Y060Lo HD, w/ 1-512 stick of Corsair XMS mem, & Win 2K pro doing pretty much nothing else but crunching SETI@home units. It completes 8 WU's per day, which is a average of 3 Hrs/wu. I think we've all decided that comperable expense in an AMD-based unit will yield much better results. ;)
                :-(

Comment

could the factor of that be becuase you are not running in dual channel?

Comment

Nope as the factor is that until the 800QDR CPU's came out the P4 just wasn't up there as shown in ya graph.

Comment

My p4 2.6C @3.33 pushes out units at a rate of 2 every 3 hours.

Comment

Dual channel mem will have minimal influence, since SETI@home is mostly cpu intensive and uses very little memory. SETI does write to the HD frequently, so a speedy one may shorten the times, somewhat.

PS. The Epox MoBo I'm using is pre Dual Channel, so that is not an option for me.

It does look like the C-type P4 cpu's, with their HT feature, is quite beneficial. Wouldn't mind having a system or two based on a C-type P4, but that would be down the road for me.

Comment

so far here is waht i am looking at

p4 2.8c
                          abit is7-g
                          1 more stick of corsair pc3200 xms
                          and then transfer the videocard and harddrive that i already have over

vinnie ven would you mind sharing more on your system?

Comment

sure...

P4 2.6c @3.33 (255FSB)
                            P4C800-DX
                            2 256 OCZ Gold pc3500
                            Pioneer dvr a05
                            Liteon 48x burner
                            Sony 16x DVD
                            3x WD 80GB SE
                            msi ti4800se
                            Enermax 350w EG365P-VE

Comment

Twisted, It looks like you're building a killer machine! I'll bet it'll crunch SETI@home WU's at a supurb rate. Can't wait to see how it does. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X