How to attach ramsinks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to attach ramsinks?

I want attach some ram sinks to my geforce 2 card. Only there is one problem how to attach them because i cant get the arctic stuuf in the netherlands! Does anyone now how to attach them?

the only methods I've ever used are AS Epoxy and frag tape...If you can't get your hands on those, I suppose you could put a tiny dab of regular epoxy at each end of the sink & regular HS paste in the middle...wouldn't be as efficient though.

Comment

well if you know you will never take them off may I suggest liquid metal ( also called JB Weld). You can get it from any hardware store. I used it on a CPU once and it dropped my temps dropped alot. THe only problem is it does turn to METAL and you can not take it off ever

Comment

If you look around, there should be someone who will ship it to your neck of the woods. You may have to pay a bit for the shipping, but the Arctic Silver is pretty good stuff.

Another idea is to use the Nanotherm product that I've been testing in the past. I don't recall if they are making an epoxy, but it would be worth a check anyway. There website is www.esgn.com

I don't think that I'd feel comfortable with putting JB Weld on an electrical component. It will last forever, but I'm not sure that it has very good thermal qualities. It is very possible that it would defeat the purpose of the RAM Sinks.

RDR,
        Nice avatar. :D
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Well Darth I would never thought of using JB Weld but I saw it on another extreme tweak site and decided to give it a try and it worked great for me:bounce: :bounce:

Comment

*puts hand up :wave:

I have used JB Weld extensively before I became aware of Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy..... and it worked great! Not quite as good at getting rid of the heat, but more widely available :thumb:
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I thought I was the only one that actually used it before HEHE

Comment

I have ordered some arctic and i hope it will arrive soon! HEHE thanks guys for the reply's

Comment

I hope it works good for ya

Comment

I've read a few different articles written by people who have put ram sinks on their video cards and gotten an extra 20 or more MHZ out of their memory

I've tried it on the last 4 video cards I've had & at most it got me maybe 4 or 5 MHz more. I've even gone so far as to make my own oversizes ram sinks...& I always use AS epoxy.

At the very least I'm increasing the life span of the memory (I hope)

Hopefully you'll have better luck than me......

Comment

The thing with Ram Sinks for them to be effective is to use a fan (ie: card cooler) to circulate air over them or there is really no benifit to having them. :smokin:
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

tried that too......

Comment

Working...
                        X